Jim Souhan column: If Tubby can't turn this around, it's time to get Smart

Shaka is making himself look even better currently running Butler out of the gym. Up 18 in the first half.

Butler is looking like the 'OLD' Gophers with 13 TO's to end the half.

I'm watching the game too. VCU plays some absolutely relentless D, really fun to watch them play defense. I think the announcers said the Rams force 20 turnovers a game for 1st in the country.

For everyone complaining about Tubby's half-court offense calling for Shaka Smart to be Tubby's successor/replacement, if you don't like Tubby's offense, I'm not sure you'll like Smart's much better. They're great in transition, but there seems to be a fair amount of standing around in the half-court, it looks like they might have more/better shooters than we do though, I've seen them jack up threes early in the shot clock at least a couple times this game. VCU's defense seems to be really rattling Butler, the Rams are destroying them right now, 45-21 VCU at the half.

My perfect storm - Tubby has a great run with this team and retires gracefully... and the Flip takes over and signs the 4 top Jrs next year...

I'm watching the game too. VCU plays some absolutely relentless D, really fun to watch them play defense. I think the announcers said the Rams force 20 turnovers a game for 1st in the country.

For everyone complaining about Tubby's half-court offense calling for Shaka Smart to be Tubby's successor/replacement, if you don't like Tubby's offense, I'm not sure you'll like Smart's much better. They're great in transition, but there seems to be a fair amount of standing around in the half-court, it looks like they might have more/better shooters than we do though, I've seen them jack up threes early in the shot clock at least a couple times this game. VCU's defense seems to be really rattling Butler, the Rams are destroying them right now, 45-21 VCU at the half.

Offensively I think the difference is the team attacks. They do run a similar offense to MN (which I contend in philosophy isn't terrible, it looks worse when we fail to execute it)

VCU is decisive with the ball. They attack. Drive, kick, drive, kick, quick shots and offensive rebounds (ring a bell?) guys aren't afraid to take even semi-open shots. This creates more possessions and speeds the game up.

Why would Smart want to come up north? What has the University of Minnesota shown anybody they are serious about their basketball program? I really want to see this team succeed but until some stuff improve replacing Tubby is rubbish.

LOL...Smart...Flip.....yeah right. Just fire one and plug the next one we want in. Because everybody will coach here.

Top Bottom