Jerry Kill to TCU

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

Kill will not be one of the ten assistant coaches, instead he will overlook the just the offensive side of the ball from coach evaluations, players evaluations, play calls, schemes; virtually everything involved with the offensive side of the ball.

Because you know offense is what Jerry is good at?

The job hopping Kill has done since he "retired" from here is just getting weird. For a guy who was supposedly all about stability and loyalty he just can't seem to stay put anywhere these days.

edit - I guess this makes a little sense because of his friendship with Patterson but will be interesting to see how long he decides to stick around. Appears he has created a whole new role in college football with the Special Assistant to the Head Coach title. Somehow it doesn't count against the 10 spots teams are allowed to have, gotta love those loopholes.

The job hopping Kill has done since he "retired" from here is just getting weird. For a guy who was supposedly all about stability and loyalty he just can't seem to stay put anywhere these days.

edit - I guess this makes a little sense because of his friendship with Patterson but will be interesting to see how long he decides to stick around. Appears he has created a whole new role in college football with the Special Assistant to the Head Coach title. Somehow it doesn't count against the 10 spots teams are allowed to have, gotta love those loopholes.

Generally just means they can't recruit/interact with players. But yea, some of those schools have so many special assistants its nuts

Say what you want, but he's a good communicator, a talented administrator and an able XO guy.

I would have been happy if Kill had remained the coach. Not only does he seem like a decent person, the team showed improvement. That was BF (before Fleck). It's interesting the difference a few years make.

Patterson is his good friend. Best man at each other's wedding, if I recall correctly. He often sent his Gopher staff down to TCU in the off-season as a workshop, again if I recall.

Guessing he is going to have a Gary Kubiak-ish role to Patterson as Zimmer.

Makes reasonable sense to me.

Wasn't Tracy an "assistant" down at Alabama? I think a lot of programs hire consultants to help with the team, they just can't interface with the players.

I think it's super ironic that Jerry's career, notable for an unheard-of level of staff consistency, has culminated in his being the biggest job-hopper in CFB.

This is bordering on bizarre, even for the nomadic lifestyle of a college football coach:

2015 - Leaves Minnesota mid-season for health reasons.
2016 - Kansas St. Assistant AD
2017 - Rutgers OC
2018 - Southern Illinois AD
2019 - VA Tech Assistant to the Head Coach
2020 - TCU Assistant to the Head Coach

Edit to add: I keep expecting to connect the dots between the locations on a map and see a coded message. "HELP ME"

Patterson is his good friend. Best man at each other's wedding, if I recall correctly. He often sent his Gopher staff down to TCU in the off-season as a workshop, again if I recall.

Guessing he is going to have a Gary Kubiak-ish role to Patterson as Zimmer.

Makes reasonable sense to me.

The Patterson connection makes a lot of sense because the two are clearly very close.

The strange part is just the constant jumping he is doing from one place to another. It is kind of like a coach when they are first starting out and moving all over to move up the ladder. Of course that is not the case for Kill.

I liked the post in this thread that said he is trying to hit every conference before he retires for real this time.

I'd also like to visit all 50 states in my lifetime, just not for different jobs. Good God, man, make a commitment and stick with it!

This was getting weird when he went to Virginia Tech. Now it is getting really weird. But, I do remember that he and Patterson were good friends and in each other's weddings and stuff like that.

So, if he had made a move like this right out of MN, I would say "that makes sense". But someone needs to list out all the jobs he has taken, and left, since departing MN. It is quite a list now. A very restless guy. We got AD at Southern Ill, O coordinator at Rutgers, Special Assistant at Virginia Tech, and now Special Assistant at TCU. Am I forgetting any?

EDIT: I see Hop Head already supplied the answers while I was typing. Quite a list. I had forgotten about the asst ad role at Kansas. One jump per year since.

I agree. Im sure he will do a great job for one year before leaving for another school

Someone should start a pool (for entertainment only purposes of course) on where Kill will end up next and see who is right. Good news is we will probably only have to wait a year to find out who the winner is since he can't seem to stay anywhere for long these days.

This is bordering on bizarre, even for the nomadic lifestyle of a college football coach:

2015 - Leaves Minnesota mid-season for health reasons.
2016 - Kansas St. Assistant AD
2017 - Rutgers OC
2018 - Southern Illinois AD
2019 - VA Tech Assistant to the Head Coach
2020 - TCU Assistant to the Head Coach

Edit to add: I keep expecting to connect the dots between the locations on a map and see a coded message. "HELP ME"
He is from Kansas, so that was why KSU. I'm guessing that job was more paper-pushing/adminstrative than he was hoping. Think he wanted to have more of a say in how the football team ran.

Rutgers was he last chance to be a full college football coach, with all duties including recruiting. He gave it a chance, and his body said "Jerry, it's time to stop". I don't think he had any ties to Rutgers or maybe even that staff, he was just an opening and he went for it and got it.

SIU was because they have roots and a lake home in that community, from his days as SIU head coach. Again, I guess it was too much admin and he wanted/needed more football "action"

VT I imagine was very similar to the Rutgers deal. He convinced Fuentes to let him be a non-recruiting, perhaps even not even coaching players, but could try to have some football "action" and say in how the team ran. And it worked for him. He could do it, and it was satisfying.

So the next step then, was to try to go to a program that he actually had ties to and wanted to work with, rather than just a random opening. TCU and Patterson fits that bill nicely. If it works for both of them, then I could see him staying for a while.

^^^ This is just my feeling, anyway. I have no idea how much truth or bits of truth might actually be here.

He is from Kansas, so that was why KSU. I'm guessing that job was more paper-pushing/adminstrative than he was hoping. Think he wanted to have more of a say in how the football team ran.

Rutgers was he last chance to be a full college football coach, with all duties including recruiting. He gave it a chance, and his body said "Jerry, it's time to stop". I don't think he had any ties to Rutgers or maybe even that staff, he was just an opening and he went for it and got it.

SIU was because they have roots and a lake home in that community, from his days as SIU head coach. Again, I guess it was too much admin and he wanted/needed more football "action"

VT I imagine was very similar to the Rutgers deal. He convinced Fuentes to let him be a non-recruiting, perhaps even not even coaching players, but could try to have some football "action" and say in how the team ran. And it worked for him. He could do it, and it was satisfying.

So the next step then, was to try to go to a program that he actually had ties to and wanted to work with, rather than just a random opening. TCU and Patterson fits that bill nicely. If it works for both of them, then I could see him staying for a while.

^^^ This is just my feeling, anyway. I have no idea how much truth or bits of truth might actually be here.
I don't doubt that he has a reason for each move. I just feel like he's turning into the guy who is on his 5th divorce/6th wife because he just can't "find the right woman". Maybe it isn't the women.

I don't doubt that he has a reason for each move. I just feel like he's turning into the guy who is on his 5th divorce/6th wife because he just can't "find the right woman". Maybe it isn't the women.
I think as an advisor role ... it's a lot more informal.

You can hop around and "help out" and move on if you wish.

I think as an advisor role ... it's a lot more informal.

You can hop around and "help out" and move on if you wish.

His departures from K State, Va Tech, and eventually TCU definitely don't have any real impact on those programs.

Having to step down again due to health at Rutgers and leaving the AD spot at SIU are different stories. No way that SIU was happy about him ditching the AD role after just one year.

His stance on loyalty seems to have changed since he left Minnesota.

Top Bottom