Jerry Kill to TCU

Does she even move every time?

For an analyst / non coach job ... probabbly not anymore... shouldn't need to.
I thought I read somewhere that she holds down the fort at their southern Illinois home, near the grandkids, and just flies out to his home games, or something like that, since they left MN?

I didn't realize it when I posted the Hank Snow version of "I've Been Everywhere" that another Hank Snow song has become Kill's theme song since leaving here. Kill seems to play this song every few months.

PS--P.J. needs to get a hold of Hank Snow's suit and get those gold suits for his assistant coaches. Understated sideline attire.

Last edited:

Generally just means they can't recruit/interact with players. But yea, some of those schools have so many special assistants its nuts
Generally it just means the school wants as many coaches as they can get.

"Do I think that he's about the players? No. He's about himself."

I certainly wouldn't think someone that jumps around from job to job is about the players.
In Jerry’s defense, many of these jobs he is jumping from/to do not involve direct with the players.

I tell this story every time.

I'm at the Kent St. game and it's horrific.... just horrific.

Dude in front of me is there with his family / friends and they want to leave to go tailgate or something.

He stands up and looks at them:

GUIES WE CAN"T GO NOW!!!! WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A CRISIS HERE!!!!

That's what that game felt like, a slow churning crisis.
I was there too. They couldn't move the ball AT ALL. Neither could we.

If it wasn't for a pick six we would of had our first shutout win since Glen Mason vs Illinois.

I'm assuming for most of these the job is coming to him...

If all this is not triggering his epilepsy, then good for Coach. We did not get to run the possibility of his staying put experiment here at Minnesota but frankly, I think we're in a much better spot 5 years later than what may have been. "Que sera sera" I think the song goes...

Moving is actually a very stressful thing and I can't imagine why a man that is trying to limit stress is moving across the country each year for the last 6 years - it doesn't make sense!!

He moves even more than me on NCAA Football 2014!!

I am fully expecting him to move somewhere else by this time 2021......

The amount Ole Jerr is moving around is a little different, but I've always thought these types of Special Assistant jobs are more like consulting gigs. Most of the time I see coaches take these kind of gigs, it's for a year or two.

I don't think any of them are meant to last (unless you get hired on as a coach). I think it's a perfect role for Jerry. He gets to get paid to discuss process management, and consult and help with higher end discussions but he doesn't have the stress of being a coach.

Either way, I wish him the best. He's a Gopher. I didn't like some of the things he said about Fleck, but I tend to not get dragged into sewing circle shade sessions. I don't know why some Gopher fans have vitriol for every coach we fire (Brew, Mase, Claeys). It makes us look petty and immature.

The amount Ole Jerr is moving around is a little different, but I've always thought these types of Special Assistant jobs are more like consulting gigs. Most of the time I see coaches take these kind of gigs, it's for a year or two.

I don't think any of them are meant to last (unless you get hired on as a coach). I think it's a perfect role for Jerry. He gets to get paid to discuss process management, and consult and help with higher end discussions but he doesn't have the stress of being a coach.

Either way, I wish him the best. He's a Gopher. I didn't like some of the things he said about Fleck, but I tend to not get dragged into sewing circle shade sessions. I don't know why some Gopher fans have vitriol for every coach we fire (Brew, Mase, Claeys). It makes us look petty and immature.

The only place that really got screwed in his job hopping was SIU when he left the AD role so quickly. Wasn't great for Rutgers when he had to leave for health reasons again but that place was a dumpster fire anyway. Agree that in these special assistant roles he is of little consequence anyway so when he leaves it doesn't really affect anything.

Jerry would have had a great legacy here if he had handled things differently. He was beloved by a lot of fans until he started bashing the program and clearly trying to get back into coaching. There is a fair amount of vitriol in the fanbase for Brew/Maturi because of that whole debacle. I don't pick up on much directed at Claeys or Mason though.

A lot of the lasting impressions people make is how they leave and this is especially true with coaches.
I think this is human nature. A person could work somewhere for 40 years and do a great job but leave on a bad note, yell F--- You to everyone on the way out --- and THAT is how they will always be remembered.

Glen Mason didn't leave on the best terms, but realized his issue was with an incompetent athletic director, stayed in the area and there are many people including me who really like the guy (even though he certainly had his faults!) I would love to shake his hand and talk about some of the great times but I am sure the conversation would turn to that Michigan meltdown game and why he didn't recruit more defense!! LOL

Lou Holtz left us high and dry after getting everyone excited about the team and is still called "The Music Man" by many. There are many who hate him to this day for that but he was very upfront about wanting to coach at Notre Dame. That stung us for years. I still think he was the best coach we ever had, but PJ Fleck has a chance to surpass him someday. If Fleck leaves in the next year or two you watch how fast the love will turn to hate by many Gopher fans.

Jim Wacker wasn't the best coach and was fired but he DID leave with class and dignity. THAT is how you leave a job. And I like how he said he would always be a Gopher fan and would be there when they made it to a bowl game. Sure enough, there he was in the press box at the Sun Bowl, cheering them on.

Fans really didn't hate guys like Wacker or Gutekunst when they left - maybe they were glad that we were taking a new direction but again, a lot of times it is HOW they leave that fans will always remember you by. The lesson learned is you can apply that to your life and your job. When you leave your job someday, don't badmouth people on your way out or talk about the bad things, remember all the good things and leave with class and dignity. That is YOUR legacy.

A lot of the lasting impressions people make is how they leave and this is especially true with coaches.
I think this is human nature. A person could work somewhere for 40 years and do a great job but leave on a bad note, yell F--- You to everyone on the way out --- and THAT is how they will always be remembered.

Glen Mason didn't leave on the best terms, but realized his issue was with an incompetent athletic director, stayed in the area and there are many people including me who really like the guy (even though he certainly had his faults!) I would love to shake his hand and talk about some of the great times but I am sure the conversation would turn to that Michigan meltdown game and why he didn't recruit more defense!! LOL

Lou Holtz left us high and dry after getting everyone excited about the team and is still called "The Music Man" by many. There are many who hate him to this day for that but he was very upfront about wanting to coach at Notre Dame. That stung us for years. I still think he was the best coach we ever had, but PJ Fleck has a chance to surpass him someday. If Fleck leaves in the next year or two you watch how fast the love will turn to hate by many Gopher fans.

Jim Wacker wasn't the best coach and was fired but he DID leave with class and dignity. THAT is how you leave a job. And I like how he said he would always be a Gopher fan and would be there when they made it to a bowl game. Sure enough, there he was in the press box at the Sun Bowl, cheering them on.

Fans really didn't hate guys like Wacker or Gutekunst when they left - maybe they were glad that we were taking a new direction but again, a lot of times it is HOW they leave that fans will always remember you by. The lesson learned is you can apply that to your life and your job. When you leave your job someday, don't badmouth people on your way out or talk about the bad things, remember all the good things and leave with class and dignity. That is YOUR legacy.

Somewhere around the mid 2000's, I had an opportunity to hear Lou make a speech at a convention and I also got to meet him, shake hands and have a picture taken. In his speech, He held up a copy of a USA today newspaper, folded to the weather map, pointed out the blue area and proceeded to denigrate MN weather and how happy he was to leave to the orange (warmer) climate. ( I guess South Bend is a lot warmer to him) Anyway, after that speech, my feelings about his traitorous behavior were cemented into permanent dislike and no respect for the man. What he did in that speech was no different than what Ol' Jer did when he burned his bridges...

Somewhere around the mid 2000's, I had an opportunity to hear Lou make a speech at a convention and I also got to meet him, shake hands and have a picture taken. In his speech, He held up a copy of a USA today newspaper, folded to the weather map, pointed out the blue area and proceeded to denigrate MN weather and how happy he was to leave to the orange (warmer) climate. ( I guess South Bend is a lot warmer to him) Anyway, after that speech, my feelings about his traitorous behavior were cemented into permanent dislike and no respect for the man. What he did in that speech was no different than what Ol' Jer did when he burned his bridges...
He was probably just trying to be funny. When he first got to Notre Dame, it was a cold and snowy day and he said, "Obviously this must be NORTH Bend." I don't dislike or hate Lou, but it was really a punch to the gut when he left. He was a hell of a coach and got us from a level that would be even worse than 2019 Rutgers to a bowl game in 2 years which is amazing. He went on to win a national championship a few years later for the Fightin' Irish and we can only wonder what he could have done for us if he would have stayed.

I wasn't old enough to really get caught up in what Holtz was doing here. My only grudge with Holtz is with what his departure did to the psyche of a lot of Gopher fans. Because of what he did back in the 80s we still have a ton of fans that expect every coach to leave the moment they have any success here.

I am hoping Fleck has a ton of success and sticks around for as long as he makes it sound like he wants to so that finally those wounds from 30+ years ago can begin to heal.

This is a little sensitive. Your feelings were cemented about someone because they took a better job and then ripped on Minnesota's weather?

I wasn't old enough to really get caught up in what Holtz was doing here. My only grudge with Holtz is with what his departure did to the psyche of a lot of Gopher fans. Because of what he did back in the 80s we still have a ton of fans that expect every coach to leave the moment they have any success here.

I am hoping Fleck has a ton of success and sticks around for as long as he makes it sound like he wants to so that finally those wounds from 30+ years ago can begin to heal.
You are very correct! You are one of the best posters on here and I always enjoy what you have to say. Glen Mason never left but he blew up 2-3 recruiting classes by entertaining offers "Hey if the phone rings I have to answer it!" As soon as he had a successful year someone like Georgia or Michigan St. was taking a run at him and he tried very hard to get the Ohio St. job too. This only bolstered everyone's concern we were going to lose our coach to one of the big boys. Make no mistake, if the Gophers continue their success, someone will take a run at PJ Fleck, most likely within the next year or two. And then we are going to find out if he is going to stay and build the program or try to take the "culture" to a national level at a big school.

We will find out soon. I think we have done our very best to keep him here and I do not know what more we could do. I hope he stays for a long, long time and become Minnesota's version of Fry/Ferentz or Alvarez.

You are very correct! You are one of the best posters on here and I always enjoy what you have to say. Glen Mason never left but he blew up 2-3 recruiting classes by entertaining offers "Hey if the phone rings I have to answer it!" As soon as he had a successful year someone like Georgia or Michigan St. was taking a run at him and he tried very hard to get the Ohio St. job too. This only bolstered everyone's concern we were going to lose our coach to one of the big boys. Make no mistake, if the Gophers continue their success, someone will take a run at PJ Fleck, most likely within the next year or two. And then we are going to find out if he is going to stay and build the program or try to take the "culture" to a national level at a big school.

We will find out soon. I think we have done our very best to keep him here and I do not know what more we could do. I hope he stays for a long, long time and become Minnesota's version of Fry/Ferentz or Alvarez.

Thanks for the compliment. To the part in bold, part of what Fleck keeps trying to get across to people is that Minnesota is a big school. There is an inferiority complex in our fanbase that makes us feel like we are a stepping stone but it really isn't accurate.

Minnesota is a Big Ten school with a deep tradition. Unfortunately the football program was neglected for a long period of time so it slipped from one of the best in the country to a second tier level. Fleck is trying to change that and frankly doing a dang good job of it.

There will always be more prestigious schools and schools that can offer Fleck more money. Some of those may come calling at some point down the line, but there are very few that can offer Fleck the package Minnesota can. He has flat out said he is living his dream of being a head coach in the Big Ten. As long as the support is there from the administration I truly believe it will take a lot to get him to leave on his own because he has a great situation here and frankly one that is pretty unique in college football right now. The sleeping giant stuff is very real.

One note on Mason, I don't know that his flirtations with other schools not named Ohio State really had much impact on things. But he openly campaigned for the OSU job and was crushed when he didn't get it. The thing with Mason was that like Holtz, he had a clear cut dream job. His coaching career basically ended when he didn't get the Ohio State job, it just took a few more years to put the final nail in the coffin and for the University to let him go. From what I can tell, Fleck doesn't have that dream job that we should all be concerned about.

Thanks for the compliment. To the part in bold, part of what Fleck keeps trying to get across to people is that Minnesota is a big school. There is an inferiority complex in our fanbase that makes us feel like we are a stepping stone but it really isn't accurate.

Minnesota is a Big Ten school with a deep tradition. Unfortunately the football program was neglected for a long period of time so it slipped from one of the best in the country to a second tier level. Fleck is trying to change that and frankly doing a dang good job of it.

There will always be more prestigious schools and schools that can offer Fleck more money. Some of those may come calling at some point down the line, but there are very few that can offer Fleck the package Minnesota can. He has flat out said he is living his dream of being a head coach in the Big Ten. As long as the support is there from the administration I truly believe it will take a lot to get him to leave on his own because he has a great situation here and frankly one that is pretty unique in college football right now. The sleeping giant stuff is very real.

One note on Mason, I don't know that his flirtations with other schools not named Ohio State really had much impact on things. But he openly campaigned for the OSU job and was crushed when he didn't get it. The thing with Mason was that like Holtz, he had a clear cut dream job. His coaching career basically ended when he didn't get the Ohio State job, it just took a few more years to put the final nail in the coffin and for the University to let him go. From what I can tell, Fleck doesn't have that dream job that we should all be concerned about.
My wife's work had a deal where U of M alums could go to a talk with Coyle. Coyle said that while people were whining when he extended Fleck after his first year, a couple schools (mentioned Tennessee specifically) had made a run at him. So it's already happened/happening, but so far Fleck really wants to stay here (per Coyle). I think as long as he's reasonably paid and given institutional support, he'll be here for a long time...

My wife's work had a deal where U of M alums could go to a talk with Coyle. Coyle said that while people were whining when he extended Fleck after his first year, a couple schools (mentioned Tennessee specifically) had made a run at him. So it's already happened/happening, but so far Fleck really wants to stay here (per Coyle). I think as long as he's reasonably paid and given institutional support, he'll be here for a long time...

That has been my read on the situation as well. Some just assume it will be all about the money but I really don't get the sense that Fleck is overly concerned about being one of the highest paid guys. As long as he is paid fairly and supported by the administration he has very few reasons to look elsewhere.

In Jerry’s defense, many of these jobs he is jumping from/to do not involve direct with the players.
He's not supposed to directly coach the players but my understanding is they generally do get to know the players.

My post wasn't really meant to be serious. He should be able to do whatever he wants, just like Fleck should. If players really thought Fleck didn't care about them, we wouldn't be seeing this kind of success. Just like if people really thought it was a red flag that Kill keeps changing jobs, Kill wouldn't keep getting hired.

Feel sorry for his poor wife, dragged to all these places! Apparently, he's leaving Claeys behind at Va Tech. When Jerry was OC at Rutgers they had one of the worst offenses in the nation.

Fans really didn't hate guys like Wacker or Gutekunst when they left - maybe they were glad that we were taking a new direction but again, a lot of times it is HOW they leave that fans will always remember you by.

How come you left out Brewster? Given all of the hate and abuse he took (and still gets) from Gopher fans and the local sports media, none of the coaches you mentioned left Minnesota with as much class and dignity as Brew. To my knowledge he has never said a negative word about the U, the State of Minnesota, or even the weather. Anything I have heard or read about him talking about his time in Minnesota has been all positive. Nevertheless, he continues to be the object of hate and ridicule by GopherHolers and the local sports media. It's pathetic.

Top Bottom