Jerry Kill to TCU

"Do I think that he's about the players? No. He's about himself."

I certainly wouldn't think someone that jumps around from job to job is about the players.

His departures from K State, Va Tech, and eventually TCU definitely don't have any real impact on those programs.

Having to step down again due to health at Rutgers and leaving the AD spot at SIU are different stories. No way that SIU was happy about him ditching the AD role after just one year.

His stance on loyalty seems to have changed since he left Minnesota.
Sure, but Rutgers staff was gutted anyway and was unlikely to succeed, so didn't end up hurting the school long term. He thought he could make it as a coach, if he wasn't the head coach and having to be responsible for the whole thing. Didn't work.

SIU was definitely a mistake. He should've known that he would have no interest in sports outside football, dealing with hiring a volleyball coach, dealing with a new contract for a women's soccer coach, etc.

Starting to think a lot of schools see him as a pity hire, they give him a year, and then he’s on his way. They make up a spot for him. It’s “awww poor Jerry” because of his health issues.

Do we have to do this everytime he changes jobs?

Cliff notes:
  • Jerry was a good coach. I liked him when he was here.
  • Someone post the "Jerr' is just a ball coach line"
  • Someone else make a post about Claeys to start that whole argument on Claeys v. Coyle.
  • Someone say something about coaching up the kids
  • Someone say something about Kill not stepping away for the sake of his health
  • Someone illustrate how he was the key to getting athlete's village.
  • Someone say something about his recruiting
  • We all wish him good health and happiness

It's the same thing every time he moves.

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. it's not surprising that he's on the move again as he must feel his duty was met at virginia tech and there is a need for his mentoring at k-state again. he's in this for the boys.

His departures from K State, Va Tech, and eventually TCU definitely don't have any real impact on those programs.

Having to step down again due to health at Rutgers and leaving the AD spot at SIU are different stories. No way that SIU was happy about him ditching the AD role after just one year.

His stance on loyalty seems to have changed since he left Minnesota.
I think the impact on leaving has a lot to do with the "loyalty" requirement.

I've felt loyal to some small employers where I played a critical role and was compensated accordingly as I knew leaving would have an impact.

Big company widget in the machine that wouldn't matter much if I left, no need to worry about "loyalty" as far as moving on goes.

I don't see long or short term advisor roles as reflecting loyalty or not.

Jerry was a good coach here. I liked him when he was here but feel bad the way he burned his MN bridges for no particular reason. Bad call on ripping Fleck and his family - that leaves a stain on Kill. But, Jerr is just a ball coach and it is in his blood. Who could have predicted the mess that was created after he departed and Claeys took over only to be fired by Coyle? Claeys was thought to be a guy that could coach up the kids, just like Kill, but his short tenure turned out to be controversial. Really these changes always have to be a consideration for kill, if for nothing else - just for the sake of his health. It is amazing how quickly people forget how instrumental Kill was to getting the athlete's village built. He had his strengths but his recruiting will always be a question mark. In the end, I think we all need to wish him good health and happiness.

Cliff notes:
  • Someone else make a post about Claeys to start that whole argument on Claeys v. Coyle.

The cliff notes version is boring.

Jerry was a good coach here. I liked him when he was here but feel bad the way he burned his MN bridges for no particular reason. Bad call on ripping Fleck and his family - that leaves a stain on Kill. But, Jerr is just a ball coach and it is in his blood. Who could have predicted the mess that was created after he departed and Claeys took over only to be fired by Coyle? Claeys was thought to be a guy that could coach up the kids, just like Kill, but his short tenure turned out to be controversial. Really these changes always have to be a consideration for kill, if for nothing else - just for the sake of his health. It is amazing how quickly people forget how instrumental Kill was to getting the athlete's village built. He had his strengths but his recruiting will always be a question mark. In the end, I think we all need to wish him good health and happiness.
For QB's and WR depth past 1 I would say yes, but not for defensive players nor OL/TE

I bet he's just trying to stay out in front of the changes. Word is that Fuente is the front-runner for Baylor. No guarantees he's going to bring everyone with him. Gary probably threw him a life line and he took it before everything shakes out. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with TC if Fuente does take the Baylor job.

Last edited:

This is so odd. I understand the TCU connections, but, there are a lot of coaches with connections and friends in the industry. What Kill did here and how many places he's gone in the last five years is strange.

I understand he had several jobs before coming here, but that seemed more like just a natural progression, DII to FCS to G5 to P5. But those tenures were also longer and not over the span of half a decade.

I remain kind of taken back by the direction he's taken his career. When he left Minnesota I figured he'd stick with a post-coaching gig, sort of like what he had at Southern Illinois.

Cliff notes:

Actually this thread has been very different then all the others. The general sense on this one is more of shock that he is going to yet another job.

Well played....I see what you did there :)

I bet he's just trying to stay out in front of the changes. Word is that Fuentes is the front-runner for Baylor. No guarantees he's going to bring everyone with him. Gary probably threw him a life line and he took it before everything shakes out. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with TC if Fuentes does take the Baylor job.
I love Wikipedia. I hadn't heard that about Fuentes, so I Googled him and opened his Wikipedia page. Here is the first line:
Justin James Fuente[1] (born July 30, 1976) is an American football coach and former player that is definitely not the head coach at Baylor.

For QB's and WR depth past 1 I would say yes, but not for defensive players nor OL/TE

Our OL was ok, was never anything stellar. Not one of his recruits on OL ended up in the NFL....(not htat is always benchmark, but I have hard time saying he recruited a spot well)

Looking at Buckyville I was always amazed how many posts would occur when either BB or Andersen made a career move after they left WI.
But this board is beyond strange in caring what happens to 'Ol Jer, the ball coach, it is just in his blood' has to be said ad nauseam.
He left the best job he ever had because of an uncontrolled seizure problem because if he were compliant with his meds he felt lethargic and if he was not compliant he had multiple seizures.
He is gone, get over it. It was sad but so can life be for anyone.

His primary responsibility should be to devise a better playoff format for Patterson to suggest in interviews.

I was at the game.
Sunburnt
Couldn't believe what I was seeing.
I tell this story every time.

I'm at the Kent St. game and it's horrific.... just horrific.

Dude in front of me is there with his family / friends and they want to leave to go tailgate or something.

He stands up and looks at them:

GUIES WE CAN"T GO NOW!!!! WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A CRISIS HERE!!!!

That's what that game felt like, a slow churning crisis.

Rebecca I'm sure is trying to support him in all this. She must be growing weary with all the moving that takes place every year now. Hopefully he found his home with TCU. Not always easy working with friends though but I would hope he would understand that the buck stops with Patterson and not himself.

Rebecca I'm sure is trying to support him in all this. She must be growing weary with all the moving that takes place every year now. Hopefully he found his home with TCU. Not always easy working with friends though but I would hope he would understand that the buck stops with Patterson and not himself.
Does she even move every time?

For an analyst / non coach job ... probabbly not anymore... shouldn't need to.

Looks like he did a bait and switch with Claeys - didn't TC just join Kill at VT?

Top Bottom