Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

He didn't get fired until after they won the Washington State game.
Yeah but

1) if trying to compare that year to this year you have to compare to regular season since this season isn’t over yet
2) bowl wins are less important than regular season wins anyways.

would it be better to beat West Virginia or to have beaten illinois and lose to Arkansas in a legit bowl

Yeah but

1) if trying to compare that year to this year you have to compare to regular season since this season isn’t over yet
2) bowl wins are less important than regular season wins anyways.

would it be better to beat West Virginia or to have beaten illinois and lose to Arkansas in a legit bowl
Beat WVU.

Who wants to visit Las Cruces, pick up a cheap used car at Casa de Autos, park it in Jerry's spot and set up a hidden camera? We can get it broadcast on Aggievision.

(I'm picturing Aggievision turning into a modern version of SCTV, focused on shenanigans surrounding the NMSU football team.)
Skip the rental, it's gotta be the Gopher Fan Van, and park it sideways so we take up at least three slots.

1639077531564.png

why has nobody talked about the explosive Jerry Kill passing schemes?

9 and 4 is 9 and 4 but if we would have beaten Illinois would we have won the West? And as a result played 14 games or more?

9 and 4 is 9 and 4 but if we would have beaten Illinois would we have won the West? And as a result played 14 games or more?
Needed to beat Iowa to make the title game. The Illinois game was inconsequential to making the title (though we would have been co-west champs again)

Needed to beat Iowa to make the title game. The Illinois game was inconsequential to making the title (though we would have been co-west champs again)
Yeah I am always confused by this but you have straightened me out in the past.

Yeah I am always confused by this but you have straightened me out in the past.
Beating Illinois would make us 7-2 in conference -- tied with Iowa and they would own the tie breaker (head-to-head). Losing to Illinois but beating Iowa would make us 6-3 in conference and tied with Wisconsin, Purdue and Iowa. We would then advance through the first round of tie breakers along with Wisconsin. As both of us would be 2-1 against the other tied teams, whereas Purdue and Iowa would be 1-2. We would then win the tiebreaker against Wisconsin with our head to head victory.

Reactions: JWG

"It's third down and three and they're gonna put nine in the box; let's run play action and try to stroke the post. Let's go." ~ At Minnesota Introductory Press Conference
. . . and the pass is just overthrown (or did it land at the feet of the receiver?).

New Mex article says Jerry is working from morning til 11 P. It also had jer’s classics. ‘I tell you what….’ No Rebecca sighting but clown Jerry is no idiot - she is in the wings when trouble arises.

We're still talking about a former coach that's not as good as our current coach?
Right. bRiCk bY BrIcK. Row the boat has a much better ring to it anyways 🤷‍♂️ I will say the citrus bowl was amazing though. Got to see Max Williams hurdle two people.

Last edited:

New Mex article says Jerry is working from morning til 11 P. It also had jer’s classics. ‘I tell you what….’ No Rebecca sighting but clown Jerry is no idiot - she is in the wings when trouble arises.
Not surprising right now due to signing week. He'll slow down after this week I would think. If he doesn't, health problems will come back. They always do if you don't take care of yourself.

I liked Coach Kill when he was our coach. I don’t care what he said after he was no longer our coach; whatever!

How long will he be HC at New Mexico State?

Betting odds (my opinion not Vegas)

10% chance he steps down before game vs Minnesota

50% chance he coaches exactly one season and quits/resigns (most likely scenario. This would be the over/under)

5% chance he completes three full seasons as HC

Look at his track record since leaving the Gophers. Most jobs he leaves after one year. In his mind he wants to coach but his body can't handle it

I also liked Kill even though his record here was only 29-29. He inherited a mess from Brewster, and got us into the Citrus Bowl a few years later. His thin skin over Fleck's "changing the culture" remarks when Fleck was hired reflected poorly on him given the sex scandal and collateral damage Fleck walked into. The culture did need to change from what it was at that moment. Kill's subsequent annual job hopping also reflected poorly on him. Still, I liked him as our coach his first few years. I don't expect him to last long at New Mexico State, there's no reason to think his health issues won't surface again.

I also liked Kill even though his record here was only 29-29. He inherited a mess from Brewster, and got us into the Citrus Bowl a few years later. His thin skin over Fleck's "changing the culture" remarks when Fleck was hired reflected poorly on him given the sex scandal and collateral damage Fleck walked into. The culture did need to change from what it was at that moment. Kill's subsequent annual job hopping also reflected poorly on him. Still, I liked him as our coach his first few years. I don't expect him to last long at New Mexico State, there's no reason to think his health issues won't surface again.
Didn’t realize his record was only 29-29

Didn’t realize his record was only 29-29
Lou Holtz was 10-12, never sniffed a top-half finish in the Big Ten, yet we have people on this forum that are convinced he would have been the best coach the team has ever had if only he had stayed.
( :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:)

Top Bottom