Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. since 2000 the boys have been impacted at emporia state, southern illinois, northern illinois, minnesota, kansas state, rutgers, back at southern illinois, virginia tech, tcu and now potentially new mexico state. ol' jer' does this because this is his calling. he's a fix it guy. new mexico state needs fixin' and rebecca may give the green light because the boys need to be turned into men.
I love it. Thanks again.

Here’s hoping Jerry turns that program around. It’s much more then about the coach at NMS, BUT if there is one guy who can at least get them to a .500 team, it’s Jerry, brick by brick! I know there are a ton of Jerry haters on this board, but no way this program is where it is without Jerry & his staff changing the direction of the program. I personally like underdog programs like NMS & underdog coaches like Jerry.

Here’s hoping Jerry turns that program around. It’s much more then about the coach at NMS, BUT if there is one guy who can at least get them to a .500 team, it’s Jerry, brick by brick! I know there are a ton of Jerry haters on this board, but no way this program is where it is without Jerry & his staff changing the direction of the program. I personally like underdog programs like NMS & underdog coaches like Jerry.
Hi Jerry!

I agree. I liked Jerry as the coach here. And lord knows that the state the program was in, he was the best they could get (considering they were too skittish to hire Leach). And while we may complain about this season, we're a far cry from the Salem, Wacker or Brew years and Jerry got the ball rolling back towards respectability and I appreciate that.

His childish whining about Claeys getting canned though really irritated me. I get sticking up for your friends, but there was no way he was going to be the long term solution.

I agree. I liked Jerry as the coach here. And lord knows that the state the program was in, he was the best they could get (considering they were too skittish to hire Leach). And while we may complain about this season, we're a far cry from the Salem, Wacker or Brew years and Jerry got the ball rolling back towards respectability and I appreciate that.

His childish whining about Claeys getting canned though really irritated me. I get sticking up for your friends, but there was no way he was going to be the long term solution.
Or when he went after PJ on the radio. Really high class stuff.

Or when he went after PJ on the radio. Really high class stuff.
Correct. That was classless BS. There are legit reasons to criticize PJ, but that was personal.

True and then later, ran out on South Carolina while telling Steve Spurrier what a great job it was. :giggle:
Not that you disagree I'm sure, but there's no reason SC couldn't be good. They have all the things.

They're just more proof that the established cabal at the tip-top will never be overtaken in college football, unless there is a draft to distribute top talent around.

I mean, if UTSA (!) can be a top 25 team ...

It's hard to see how advantages matter? Isn't that why they're called advantages?
That was not the point.

I was getting that, that it's hard for me to see how something like a 5% advantage is enough to make a difference between a bottom G5 school and a top 25 school.

That was not the point.

I was getting that, that it's hard for me to see how something like a 5% advantage is enough to make a difference between a bottom G5 school and a top 25 school.
I suspect it's more than a 5% advantage. We've debated the advantages and disadvantages to college football teams located in large urban areas, but San Antonio is one of the largest cities in the US, and they only have one major league team. Attendance and support is growing and there seems to be a lot of upside to the program. They play in the Alamodome.

If you read the article linked here about the sad state of NMSU facilities, it's a pretty stark difference to well, anything. Getting players to Las Cruces seems like such a daunting task.

Fair enough. I don't think that urban areas vs college towns is any particular advantage.

And UTSA is a commuter campus. Not much going on there, other than classes and office/lab work.

Yeah, practice facilities is a good point.

If Kill and let's say he can hire Patterson, can inject some excitement there, maybe they can get those upgraded. Kill got the athlete's village rolling here.

Think a roofing theme this time, terracotta tile by terracotta tile.

I suspect it's more than a 5% advantage. We've debated the advantages and disadvantages to college football teams located in large urban areas, but San Antonio is one of the largest cities in the US, and they only have one major league team. Attendance and support is growing and there seems to be a lot of upside to the program. They play in the Alamodome.

If you read the article linked here about the sad state of NMSU facilities, it's a pretty stark difference to well, anything. Getting players to Las Cruces seems like such a daunting task.
Really does seem like a tough place, but if he can keep his health, he's not replacing Bear Bryant. Can't picture him not doing better than Martin.

Fair enough. I don't think that urban areas vs college towns is any particular advantage.

And UTSA is a commuter campus. Not much going on there, other than classes and office/lab work.

Yeah, practice facilities is a good point.

If Kill and let's say he can hire Patterson, can inject some excitement there, maybe they can get those upgraded. Kill got the athlete's village rolling here.
It may be a commuter campus, but if they can market themselves as San Antonio's hometown team, they could be very successful.

I don't think it's possible to set that program back any further. They're rock bottom.
Yeah, if healthy I am sure Kill can help them, can't really hurt them much. Although if they are smart they will start working on the heir apparent as soon as possible because with Kill's health there is no guarantee he will stick around long.

It may be a commuter campus, but if they can market themselves as San Antonio's hometown team, they could be very successful.
If they win, and win games that actually matter (ie, they do well in the new American, ie the CUSA version 4.0), SA people will pay some attention. Agree.

I don't think it's possible to set that program back any further. They're rock bottom.
Correct. If he bails after 3 years, they are no worse than right now. If he can do what he did at his previous 3 stops as head coach…which is bring stability and competitiveness it will be the best NMSU has been…literally ever

Top Bottom