Jerry Kill - New Mexico State

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. since 2000 the boys have been impacted at emporia state, southern illinois, northern illinois, minnesota, kansas state, rutgers, back at southern illinois, virginia tech, tcu and now potentially new mexico state. ol' jer' does this because this is his calling. he's a fix it guy. new mexico state needs fixin' and rebecca may give the green light because the boys need to be turned into men.
Boom goes the dynamite.

I don't have the vitriol toward Kill that some on this board seem to have.

my bottom line - after the Brewster experiment, Jerry Kill restored a sense of credibility to Gopher FB. he make the players go to class and brought some discipline back to the program. And his teams with Claeys and Sawvell coaching produced some of the better defensive teams to play at MN in a long time. his offenses were up and down, but had some solid RB's. And - I would maintain that Special teams were overall much better under Kill then they have been under the current staff.

Obviously, Kill did not go out on a good note. But, people are human. He could have handled it better. that doesn't change my opinion of what he brought the program as a coach.

And stating the obvious - Reusse is going to get a lot of columns out of this........
Making fun of a guy who behaves like a middle schooler isn’t the same thing as vitriol

I appreciate what he did for the program. If his health allowed it, he probably would still be the coach here.

Making fun of a guy who behaves like a middle schooler isn’t the same thing as vitriol

I appreciate what he did for the program. If his health allowed it, he probably would still be the coach here.
No he wouldnt bloom was off the rose for Jerry Lol.

Hopefully Fleck drops the just do enough to win mentality with non-conf games and we go out and crush them.... :)
I doubt it, lets just hope it's not Bowling Green 2.0.

Well you can expect that he will bring Brick by Brick to build that Casa to Las Cruces. Plus will he drop a Acarocia el Poste in his press conference with the shirt being made. Casa de Auto must be dropping some serious coin to bring in Country Jer.

Keep in mind the last former head coach of Mn who went on to get another head job won a national title his third year at the school.

Aggies 2024

True and then later, ran out on South Carolina while telling Steve Spurrier what a great job it was. :giggle:

That said while it looks like Kill has lost some weight and toned-up he should stay away from a Head Coaching job.

Remember when he came here? He denied having an epilepsy caused stroke before he got here. Just talked about the cancer he had beaten. He eventually became a spokesman for people with epilepsy. Often saying even if you had it you could do anything you wanted to if you worked hard enough and watched your health.

Can't shake the feeling that maybe even more than wanting to coach again he wants to show people that epilepsy isn't a curse that can't be dealt with.

Wish him well, but wish he wasn't gonna try it.

Last edited:

I doubt it, lets just hope it's not Bowling Green 2.0.
I actually like this game and matchup for that very reason.

Hopefully it forces PJ to play to win and crush the opponent. Then again, even after the BG game, he admitted to playing for a FG at the end of the half against MD when we had a 7-point lead. So who knows? I don’t think anything is gonna change this guy.

What score?
Word is Kill was upset with how Claeys was terminated and that he didn’t appreciate PJ talking about having to change the culture when he was hired. At one point, Kill said he’d never set foot on the campus again.

Personally think this is a bad decision, but whatever, doesn't affect me in the least bit, so if he wants to eff himself up again, I'm certainly not going to stop him.

Really liked him as a coach. He did some good things here. I wish it ended that way.

Really dislike him as disgruntled former employee. His unprovoked popping off against the U soured a bunch of people, including me. He came across as bitter and petulant against a school and employer that bent over backwards with his multiple medical issues. Throwing shade at a former employer, in any profession, says more about the person than the employer. Add to it his job hopping since leaving here leads me to believe he is more of the issue than he cares to admit.

Holy cow man. You wanna talk about brutal conditions to win in, read that article. Here a highlight from the coach:

You saw the newscast where the palm tree is growing inside the stadium. That is out there because it was on the news. You have the locker room that hasn’t had air conditioning in three years. that is all over social media. We have a tent for the locker room. You be New Mexico State football coach for a minute and come into my house to recruit me. You give your spiel, and then I ask you, ‘Well Coach Groves, New Mexico and UTEP were just here and they told me you have palm trees growing in your stadium, you don’t have air conditioning in your locker room and you use a tent for a locker room. Why would I come there?’

I hope his health is under control so he can coach. The man is a great coach, so hopefully this opportunity will work out for him. The Gophers averaged four wins a year in the four seasons before Jerry took over. PJ took over a program that averaged nearly eights wins a year in the four seasons before he took over.

I don't have the vitriol toward Kill that some on this board seem to have.

my bottom line - after the Brewster experiment, Jerry Kill restored a sense of credibility to Gopher FB. he make the players go to class and brought some discipline back to the program. And his teams with Claeys and Sawvell coaching produced some of the better defensive teams to play at MN in a long time. his offenses were up and down, but had some solid RB's. And - I would maintain that Special teams were overall much better under Kill then they have been under the current staff.

Obviously, Kill did not go out on a good note. But, people are human. He could have handled it better. that doesn't change my opinion of what he brought the program as a coach.

And stating the obvious - Reusse is going to get a lot of columns out of this........
Yes indeed. Jerry Kill got the program on the road to respectability post-Brewster.

His health issues worsen due to the added stress. He was handling the Mega Tongue's job to get the Athletic Village project moving. Mega Tongue was preoccupied with more pressing matters like going after the wives of VIPs.

He overacted on the firing of Tracey Claeys. He said something about the U and PJ Fleck that he shouldn't have with the culture thing.

It will be classy if Kill and the U can let bygones be bygones. Life is too short.

Last edited:

Top Bottom