JD Spielman. RTB?

I think both, actually.
I don't understand this thinking. What makes you think either? I love Seth Green, but he has not demonstrated anything that made me think his position buried on the depth chart at WR was a mistake. When he was in at WR, he tended to run poor patterns and wasn't reliable catching the ball. I don't understand why people think he's miraculously going to have a Hallmark movie type turnaround. You're talking about a player that has 3 career catches with I believe at least twice as many drops. If he sees much playing time at WR it's more likely an indicator things have gone horribly wrong than he is suddenly an awesome receiver.

I know I've already mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Spann-Ford is gonna pop this year. The kid is listed at 6'7, 270 and moves like a friggin cat. I went and watched all our games once or twice more during quarantine and he blocks his butt off too. He absolutely buries people when he comes on those kick-out/slice/split (whatever terminology you use) blocks

This is the kind of player that the NFL salivates over

Edit: I'm not smart enough to embed the video, but it's his TD catch

I know I've already mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Spann-Ford is gonna pop this year. The kid is listed at 6'7, 270 and moves like a friggin cat. I went and watched all our games once or twice more during quarantine and he blocks his butt off too. He absolutely buries people when he comes on those kick-out/slice/split (whatever terminology you use) blocks

I hope you're right, but I feel like everyone was making this exact same prediction last summer, and then he only had 4 catches all year?

I hope you're right, but I feel like everyone was making this exact same prediction last summer, and then he only had 4 catches all year?

He was a freshman playing in a position group filled with upperclassmen, so he couldn’t crack the lineup right away. It took some time for him to start getting snaps

I don’t want to rag on Paulson, but he whiffs on a lot of blocks. Whitham was a hero in the bowl game, but I doubt he sees the field outside of short yardage stuff. Kieft is a f*cking animal. He buries guys on every block they ask of him - iso on a DE, Iso on LB, kick-out, down block etc

I think your best lineup of skill guys is:

Mo
Bateman
CAB
Kieft
Spann-Ford

That’s an all-Star lineup right there folks

He was a freshman playing in a position group filled with upperclassmen, so he couldn’t crack the lineup right away. It took some time for him to start getting snaps

I don’t want to rag on Paulson, but he whiffs on a lot of blocks. Whitham was a hero in the bowl game, but I doubt he sees the field outside of short yardage stuff. Kieft is a f*cking animal. He buries guys on every block they ask of him - iso on a DE, Iso on LB, kick-out, down block etc

Mo
Bateman
CAB
Kieft
Spann-Ford

Really like this take. Love football but was not trained in it like basketball so i really enjoy the strong observations you shared. I can also see Spann-Ford on a breakout.

I think JD Spillman's boat is leaky.

Mo
Bateman
CAB
Kieft
Spann-Ford

RB, two receivers, and two highly skilled blockers...;)

Here’s my hot take, he will double last season’s production!!!

No, he won't. All of Minnesota's WRs are better than Green. All of them.

Even the ones he played in front of last year? Interesting. The coaches must not know it. Will you tell them for us?

I don't understand this thinking. What makes you think either? I love Seth Green, but he has not demonstrated anything that made me think his position buried on the depth chart at WR was a mistake.

He was buried on the depth chart at #5 WR because four guys were better than him. One of those guys has moved on. So, if he continues to improve, he can get reps at the #4 spot.

When he was in at WR, he tended to run poor patterns and wasn't reliable catching the ball. I don't understand why people think he's miraculously going to have a Hallmark movie type turnaround.

He was in his second year EVER playing WR last year. Let's see what another offseason can do for him.

You're talking about a player that has 3 career catches with I believe at least twice as many drops.

I don't recall him being targeted all that much. I don't recall any drops. But, you're memory is likely better than mine, so I'll take your word for it that he has at least six career drops.

If he sees much playing time at WR it's more likely an indicator things have gone horribly wrong than he is suddenly an awesome receiver.

Look, I am not suggesting Seth Green is going to suddenly catch 100 balls for 1500 yards and make first team all-American. I said he should/would get some additional time at WR. That's all. Maybe he can catch 10 or 15 passes as last year's #4 WR did. If he does that I don't think it will mean something has gone horribly wrong.

Last edited:

Even the ones who have almost never made it onto the field?

Highwayman's claim that all the receivers are better than Green is an overstatement but Green is essentially a non-factor as a WR on this team. He should be listed as a QB on the roster because that is what he is. Kind of similar to how CC was listed as a LB on the roster but played DE.

Seth has a well defined role on this team at this point and I would be shocked to see that role change much in 2020. He may line up as a WR from time to time but he is a wildcat QB.

Seth Green has the same gift Mitch Leidner had. Ability to consistently push the ball two yards through lineman.

Is time running out for JD for this season if he wants to become a Gopher?

The walls aren't talking.

We'd love to have him in a flash in a Gopher uniform.

That was a cool execution. They sold the Defense a slow moving fake hand off to Rodney Smith. Just enough time to distract the Defense' attention for BSP to slip by.

He was buried on the depth chart at #5 WR because four guys were better than him. One of those guys has moved on. So, if he continues to improve, he can get reps at the #4 spot.

He was in his second year EVER playing WR last year. Let's see what another offseason can do for him.

I don't recall him being targeted all that much. I don't recall any drops. But, you're memory is likely better than mine, so I'll take your word for it that he has at least six career drops.

Look, I am not suggesting Seth Green is going to suddenly catch 100 balls for 1500 yards and make first team all-American. I said he should/would get some additional time at WR. That's all. Maybe he can catch 10 or 15 passes as last year's #4 WR did. If he does that I don't think it will mean something has gone horribly wrong.
He’s a tremendous athlete (relative to his size), and he probably throws a great ball on air.

For whatever reasons, he did not work out as a QB at this level. Maybe couldn’t grasp the offense, maybe wasn’t very accurate in real football situations. Don’t know.

They tried to move him to TE. But obviously he couldn’t block. So they moved him to WR, where he obviously couldn’t catch.

This is all wild guessing. But if it was dead wrong, I just fee like we would’ve see him more!

Mo
Bateman
CAB
Kieft
Spann-Ford

Was not impressed at all with Spann-Ford last year. Granted he saw limited action but he looked really out of place when he was on the field. He seems to have all the physical tools so hopefully he can put it all together to be a great football player.

Highwayman's claim that all the receivers are better than Green is an overstatement but Green is essentially a non-factor as a WR on this team. He should be listed as a QB on the roster because that is what he is. Kind of similar to how CC was listed as a LB on the roster but played DE.

Seth has a well defined role on this team at this point and I would be shocked to see that role change much in 2020. He may line up as a WR from time to time but he is a wildcat QB.
Yes--intentional hyperbole. The point is, Seth Green is not a WR. He shows no natural ability at that position, except his height and being able to standing in a formation as a decoy.

That means that yes, the other WR on the team are better at WR.

I agree with you. I think it would be cool if Seth was a better receiver as it may make some of the wildcat tricks tougher for the other team to scheme against.

I wonder how it would work to throw to Green.

Line him up as WR? We have some good WRs.

Out of the "TE" spot?

As it is he has to have a lot of linebackers eyes on him ... so if he came out of the backfield .. it's not like there won't be a LB there following him a lot of the time anyway... and he can't bulldoze the guy and then catch it (well usually you can't).

A lot of catching TE type roles you hope the TE hits the line, gets lost in the mix, and releases (that's half the battle there) of the linemen and has space ... I'm not sure Green would get that advantage.

He’s a tremendous athlete (relative to his size), and he probably throws a great ball on air.

For whatever reasons, he did not work out as a QB at this level. Maybe couldn’t grasp the offense, maybe wasn’t very accurate in real football situations. Don’t know.

They tried to move him to TE. But obviously he couldn’t block. So they moved him to WR, where he obviously couldn’t catch.

This is all wild guessing. But if it was dead wrong, I just fee like we would’ve see him more!
He was anticipated to be the starting QB in 2017 had the coaching change not occurred. I have no doubt he would have been great in that type of offense. It will forever be a mystery to me why Fleck did not go with him in 2017 as QB...it would have added another serious run threat to that very basic, vanilla offense they decided to run.

Top Bottom