JD Spielman. RTB?

Great leader of men he was, indeed.
FYI he was acquitted on the assault charges.
https://www.rrstar.com/news/20200228/demry-croft-acquitted-of-domestic-violence-charges

He was supposed to go to trial for the tape charges in April but I can’t find anything recapping that.

FYI he was acquitted on the assault charges.
https://www.rrstar.com/news/20200228/demry-croft-acquitted-of-domestic-violence-charges

He was supposed to go to trial for the tape charges in April but I can’t find anything recapping that.
Yeah, I believe innocent until proven guilty. There are a lot of false accusations that get thrown at guys. But with that being said, I think these false accusations can be easily avoided if you’re just staying out of sketchy situations, or staying away from questionable parties. I feel like a lot of times these guys that get accused, while they are innocent, still probably weren’t up to much good

He fell down a deep Gopherhole never to be seen in these parts.

Last edited:

Then why did you use that article to question his leadership?
Because I think he’s probably a pile of shit. He had some unknown issues going on with the school or coaching staff when Fleck said he had things to take care of back home.

Can you guys please take this conversation over to the *new* JD Spielman thread. I think it belongs over there now.
I’m wondering how it got into Green vs. Croft. Croft should be a distant memory at this point

Because I think he’s probably a pile of shit. He had some unknown issues going on with the school or coaching staff when Fleck said he had things to take care of back home.
So you believe in innocent until proven guilty (I assume you mean in the actual court system), but have no problem assuming he’s a “pile of shit”

Well, that didn't really work out. Don't get me wrong, we all appreciate what Green does for us, but it is extremely limited in scope.
For sure limited. But effective. Would you rather he be the backup or 3rd string quarterback?

For sure limited. But effective. Would you rather he be the backup or 3rd string quarterback?
I'm not sure what I would've ultimately done with him, if I were the coach.

I really think handing the ball off to Mo would be just as effective on short yardage. But I like power football with true full-backs, over all the RPO stuff. That's just my opinion.

I'm not sure what I would've ultimately done with him, if I were the coach.

I really think handing the ball off to Mo would be just as effective on short yardage. But I like power football with true full-backs, over all the RPO stuff. That's just my opinion.
I think that stuff will eventually make a comeback in college football as teams change their defenses to stop more spread offenses.

It’s interesting even Alabama and LSU have gone complete spread RPO...
It’s also interesting that some of the most dominating high school offenses right now in MN are running double tight T because many of the coaches who grew up in the spread gave no idea how to defend it (Lakeville south, elk river )

I think that stuff will eventually make a comeback in college football as teams change their defenses to stop more spread offenses.

It’s interesting even Alabama and LSU have gone complete spread RPO...
It’s also interesting that some of the most dominating high school offenses right now in MN are running double tight T because many of the coaches who grew up in the spread gave no idea how to defend it (Lakeville south, elk river )
They obviously need to watch All the Right Moves !

I’m wondering how it got into Green vs. Croft. Croft should be a distant memory at this point

Never underestimate the power of the posters on Gopherhole when it comes to taking a thread in directions no one saw coming. Why wouldn't you expect to find an argument about Green vs. Croft in a thread about JDS? :)

edit....and I totally agree that Demry Croft should be a distant memory at this point...our QB recruiting has come a long way.....kid like Croft wouldn't even be on our radar now.

So you believe in innocent until proven guilty (I assume you mean in the actual court system), but have no problem assuming he’s a “pile of shit”
Why are you so defensive of Croft? And yes...he could be innocent and be a pile of shit at the same time....

Never underestimate the power of the posters on Gopherhole when it comes to taking a thread in directions no one saw coming. Why wouldn't you expect to find an argument about Green vs. Croft in a thread about JDS? :)

edit....and I totally agree that Demry Croft should be a distant memory at this point...our QB recruiting has come a long way.....kid like Croft wouldn't even be on our radar now.
Not really sure what you mean by "a kid like Croft" but he was a QB out of Illinois playing for a successful HS team and played in a national All-star game. He would be on Fleck's radar.

JD is done with football for a while, it's obvious to me. The kid is not the leader Frost wanted him to be, and that's okay, but all the pressure put on him from the Nebraska staff has left him less than excited to get back on the field anytime soon.

The "Green-Line" is the definition of power football. Everyone on the play-side downblocks, you get a kick out from your motion man and you get a lead blocker in Mo (who is a beast of a blocker). And the benefit of having Green run the ball is it gives you an extra blocker. They finally stopped trotting Morgan out wide and just put in an extra lineman for Green's package.

The beauty of it all is that you're not asking your O-line to do anything different than they normally do...they're just zone blocking to the right

The "Green-Line" is the definition of power football. Everyone on the play-side downblocks, you get a kick out from your motion man and you get a lead blocker in Mo (who is a beast of a blocker). And the benefit of having Green run the ball is it gives you an extra blocker. They finally stopped trotting Morgan out wide and just put in an extra lineman for Green's package.

The beauty of it all is that you're not asking your O-line to do anything different than they normally do...they're just zone blocking to the right

That's the best imitation of "power football" that these RPO's can do.

Actual power football is like an (offset) I formation, with a true full back and running back and the QB hands the ball off, with the guard pulling around (the power play).

That's the best imitation of "power football" that these RPO's can do.

Actual power football is like an (offset) I formation, with a true full back and running back and the QB hands the ball off, with the guard pulling around (the power play).

This isn't an imitation and it's not an RPO (yes, it's spread, but there is no pass option on the play). This is power.

The "Power football" play you're referring to has the fullback kick out the last man on the LOS and the guard pulling through the B gap or C gap. The Green play is the same play except your H (Spann-Ford) does the kick out and your RB leads through the B or C Gap. And like I said before, you don't have to teach your OL a new play...it's just zone to them

Quick edit: I'm not trying to argue at all, I just like talking football. Gus Malzahn perfected the present-day Power out of the spread. He's been quite the innovator over the course of his career. I'm glad he looked pedestrian against us

Last edited:

This isn't an imitation and it's not an RPO (yes, it's spread, but there is no pass option on the play). This is power.

The "Power football" play you're referring to has the fullback kick out the last man on the LOS and the guard pulling through the B gap or C gap. The Green play is the same play except your H (Spann-Ford) does the kick out and your RB leads through the B or C Gap. And like I said before, you don't have to teach your OL a new play...it's just zone to them
I didn't mean it was an RPO play, I was referring to our offense as an RPO scheme.

You can pretend it is the same, but it's not the same just because you have players doing similar-ish things on paper. Motioning in a WR to lead block through the B gap is also not a power play. Having a RB who normally carries the ball act as a lead blocker, when that's not his normal responsibility and he doesn't practice it and have a lead blocker mentality, is not the same thing. Etc

It's a silly thing to argue about, because we're not going to transform into running Wisconsin's offense, no matter how much I believe that is the best offense to be run these days. It's fine for what we do.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, but I don’t think Spielman is coming. I predict that he sits out the year, and it’s a good year to sit out, to prepare for the 2021 draft.

Not really sure what you mean by "a kid like Croft" but he was a QB out of Illinois playing for a successful HS team and played in a national All-star game. He would be on Fleck's radar.

An athletic 6'5" QB who can only get offers from a handful of MAC and lower division schools sends up a ton of red flags for me. We were his only power 5 offer....true, all the coaches looking at him could have been wrong but big athletic QBs that can play don't tend to get missed all that often.

Fleck might have recruited him as an athlete but I highly doubt they would have been looking at him as a QB. Having said that, Western Michigan was not among his handful of offers so maybe Fleck wouldn't have recruited him. I was not surprised one bit when he did not pan out at the QB position.

Why do you think that?
just get the vibe from his leave he had to take from the team when Fleck said he had things he had to take care of. Probably disciplinary or academic issues going on. And then to be accused of sexual assault, he probably wasn’t involved in a good situation. Guys that surround themselves with the right crowd, and avoid questionable situations, most likely won’t be accused of sexual assault

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, but I don’t think Spielman is coming. I predict that he sits out the year, and it’s a good year to sit out, to prepare for the 2021 draft.
Well, everyone might sit out the 2020 season so it's not that bold of a guess

Time is getting short. If he was going to transfer here he would have by now.

An athletic 6'5" QB who can only get offers from a handful of MAC and lower division schools sends up a ton of red flags for me. We were his only power 5 offer....true, all the coaches looking at him could have been wrong but big athletic QBs that can play don't tend to get missed all that often.

Fleck might have recruited him as an athlete but I highly doubt they would have been looking at him as a QB. Having said that, Western Michigan was not among his handful of offers so maybe Fleck wouldn't have recruited him. I was not surprised one bit when he did not pan out at the QB position.

His stats vs. the Huskers a couple of years back could be tough to beat.... so, he's got that....

Top Bottom