Is Ra'Shede Hageman really playing poorly

No they didn't. I watch generally watch the lines during football games since that's where I played and it's the position I have the most interest in. Shede was simply beat by his man throughout the Iowa game.

"Also not true at all. Boticcelli is having a great year and has shown a lot of growth since last season. Roland Johnson has been arguably as effective at penetrating the backfield as Shede the last season and a half. Our DEs have been a dissapointment, especially Amafuela, but if you think it's been Shede and nobody else you aren't watching."

This I agree with a lot, Boticcelli(he is a good hand fighter) and Johnson(really quick off the ball) in my opinion are the two most improved defensive lineman we have, they have come to play all of our games, both have been disruptive and facing a lot of doubles, these two generate the majority of the pressure(almost all games have been middle pressure) we see, unless we blitz. We lack size of tradtional defensive ends in the Big 10 and seem to try the same rush techniques with the same guys. (They are Sophmores and Freshman for the most part and have room to grow) Would like to see Epke get in there more.

Hagemen has also been moved over to left end and right end a lot this year, he doesn't have the quickness at his size to be a pass rushing end, but he does have the ability to close off the run if he would fight through blocks better and attack the ball carrier, to be a complete defensive player he is going to have to continue to improve at playing the run. The Iowa guards and centers were particularly effective at getting under his pads and maintaining leverage on him. Our defensive tackle unit is where we will lose the most depth the next two seasons.

Hagemen can continue to make impacts on the special teams units just by his long arms and ability to penetrate, this is where this season he still has a lot of potential to make an impact in my opinion.

All those guys are playing against far superior opponents. Shede's numbers this year come from puffcake games. Look at his numbers in the 2 conference games this year. 1 blocked pass and 1-2 tackles for loss (i'm too lazy to look it up)? There is a lot of season left so maybe he will make me eat crow on saying this but he is NOT first round talent as of yet.... even though I do think he will go in the first round because NFL scouts get off on "sheer athletic ability" during the combine.

I'm confused by your statement. Are you saying that since he (in your mind) is an early first round pick we should automatically make a bowl game?

Looking at numbers alone is not the way to evaluate how well a DT is playing.

all teams play cupcake opponents, almost all teams play one FCS team, two non BCS schools and one average BCS school, most elite DTs only have 1 sack this year and about 3 TFLs anyways, and i do agree that stats don't show the whole story for DTs it should more for a DT of hageman's style, not a 350 pound immovable object run stuff extraordinaire that constantly demands doubles and triples, stats are not quite as reliable for those types of tackles but for the ones like hageman that are only 310 or less that are built more like a D end that are more athletic , they can usually get better penetration and generate an inside pass rush, those types of DTs stats are more reliable since getting in the backfield and getting TFLs and sacks is more of what then do then specializing in clogging the running lanes, also with my comment about the bowl game i am not saying we should make a bowl game becuase of Ra'shede, i am saying that even if we don't make a bowl game i would still be happy about the gophers if Rashede becomes a first round pick

It's easy to ignore. Another third down bat by Hageman. Stops an entire drive. We would be lost without him.

He played very well in the first half. Did anyone see him pancake the guard on the Manuel sack early on? He pushed him over like he was playing against me.

He played very well in the first half. Did anyone see him pancake the guard on the Manuel sack early on? He pushed him over like he was playing against me.

He's had a couple of spectacular plays, but I have seen him be taken out of a number of plays by a single lineman.

He is a freak athlete and when he uses his leverage, he is unstoppable. He made a couple of nice plays, the pancake you mentioned. But he has been too lackadaisical on too many plays.

I just don't understand this guy. Looked like he had totally given up on the play and then he knocks the pass down.

He's had a couple of spectacular plays, but I have seen him be taken out of a number of plays by a single lineman.

He is a freak athlete and when he uses his leverage, he is unstoppable. He made a couple of nice plays, the pancake you mentioned. But he has been too lackadaisical on too many plays.

I just don't understand this guy. Looked like he had totally given up on the play and then he knocks the pass down.

That's why your average coaching staff knows more than the smartest poster. Ever.

Credit where credit is due. Shede's had a fine game today. Here's hoping there's more to come.

He was just named the Polaris "Hardest working player of the game"...

I think the toughest job in football is a DT. Wow, and he's getting some credit on ESPN by McShay!

Just watched Clowney get handled by 1 guy! On the next play he was unblocked, just stood up in case it was an end around, and then the next play he tried to loop around, was untouched and not part of the play at all.

Wow, he sucks. I fell bad for the team that drafts him.

Honest to pete, do some of you have a personal axe to grind with Hageman or are you really just clueless? Or can you just not stand to have a few things go our way? Geez, here we are with a nice win, the result of what appears to have been pretty decent prep and execution and some of you want to drag down our most highly touted player. You know, one of the local guys you constantly demand we keep at home.

Hageman had a monster game. Northwestern's OLine isn't the finest in the Big Ten, but after an effort like that you just give props. Great game by Ra'shede and this kind of game helps the Draft Stock. Hope he can continue to dominate.

Honest to pete, do some of you have a personal axe to grind with Hageman or are you really just clueless? Or can you just not stand to have a few things go our way? Geez, here we are with a nice win, the result of what appears to have been pretty decent prep and execution and some of you want to drag down our most highly touted player. You know, one of the local guys you constantly demand we keep at home.

Agree 100%. I'm a mostly "watch the ball" guy, but when we're on defense, I make sure to keep an eye on Shede. He is just a beast. From the tackle position, he's not going to make 50 tackles a game, but he affects 50 plays a game.

I was critical of 'Shede after the Iowa game and stand by those comments, but he played a whale of a game today!

I can have an opinion. I can admit it when I'm wrong. Posting an opinion a third of the way through a game is always dangerous because it can turn out to be very wrong. But jeesh, it's not like I questioned his patriotism or anything. I wasn't trying to run him out of town.

Top Bottom