Is Duke McGhee a dirty player?

Proof we do not have a monopoly on bad sports writers:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-91940984/

"All around college football, we see safeties pulling up We do?rather than delivering the kind of concussion-causing blows that threaten to wreck lives — and the game as a whole. What is Minnesota teaching its players? This is a black mark on what has otherwise been an excellent coaching job by Claeys.

Here's an idea: Suspend the head coach for a game once his team reaches five targeting penalties."

Here's an idea: suspend the officials that ejected Celestin and Rallis and overturned the targeting call on Leidner last year.

I agree. In the McGhee situation, part of this may be that the safety is running up to the play (SIAP).

I was listening to Garage Logic on my drive home from work today... 1500 am, 3:15 or so and was fairly shocked that Joe Soucheray said that he was watching the game and found the hit so egregious.... actually an attempt to injure, that he started cheering for the Wildcats.

I was taken aback a bit, not that Ruesse was on board 100%, but obviously how stupid they are to think that a starting DB would take himself out of the game with intent.... I thought that Joe was supposed to the a bastion of common sense.

Media in this town sucks.

Maybe a better way to put it is "overly aggressive" at times. Go back and look at Antoine Winfield Sr. playing for the Vikings. One of the best 'form' tacklers ever - typically hit guys waist-high, slid down, hooked the legs and made the tackle. Not as flashy as the guy trying to make the knock-out hit, but more effective.

Nonsense. Duke is aiming for the chest. Can't do anything about last second adjustments by the receiver. He's aiming to jar the ball loose.....as he should. Had Carr not been hurt on the play....we wouldn't hear a peep. But surprise! Players get hurt playing a game where you use your body to take down another while running at full speed.

Dirty makes it sound intentional. It's not intentional.

Love the physical play! Keep going balls to the wall! Intimidation is very in important in football! Play aggressive .. try not to target anyone but if it happens oh well.. coaches better never be mad about aggressive play.

Love the physical play! Keep going balls to the wall! Intimidation is very in important in football! Play aggressive .. try not to target anyone but if it happens oh well.. coaches better never be mad about aggressive play.

I agree with this. False start and pre snap penalties to me show a lack of discipline but targeting calls are the type of calls that I can live with. I mean they can definitely be devastating and I don't want them to happen to our team but there not penalties where I'll fault the players for playing hard or the coaches.

I was listening to Garage Logic on my drive home from work today... 1500 am, 3:15 or so and was fairly shocked that Joe Soucheray said that he was watching the game and found the hit so egregious.... actually an attempt to injure, that he started cheering for the Wildcats.

I was taken aback a bit, not that Ruesse was on board 100%, but obviously how stupid they are to think that a starting DB would take himself out of the game with intent.... I thought that Joe was supposed to the a bastion of common sense.

Joe is a bastion of common sense for stupid people.

From what I've seen on twitter, it's not just the targeting, but a combination of the targeting, and then the actions/mood of some of the players after. Regardless of what we think about the targeting call in that instance, I don't know if it's a good look to be high fiving, hugging, or whatever on the sideline after being kicked out of the game. Regardless of intent, the optics don't look good. We've had at least two coaching staffs get upset with ours because of the targeting/post targeting stuff this year. We can argue that they are just pansy's, but again the optics of it aren't good.

If we can't do anything about changing how we tackle (this is debatable), than at the very least we need to change how we proceed/act after the ejection. No big high fives, no celebrating or pumping each other up, just grab your helmet and jog to the locker room.

Nonsense. Duke is aiming for the chest. Can't do anything about last second adjustments by the receiver. He's aiming to jar the ball loose.....as he should. Had Carr not been hurt on the play....we wouldn't hear a peep. But surprise! Players get hurt playing a game where you use your body to take down another while running at full speed.

Dirty makes it sound intentional. It's not intentional.

I went back and listened to the podcast. He didn't call him dirty. I thought I heard that and was wrong. Barreiro did call him a cheap shot artist.

I wonder if there is a bit of hockey or baseball code with football as well. The opposing team (NW, Beavers, Illini) will try to take a high shot against a playmaker for the Gophers next year.

Maybe a better way to put it is "overly aggressive" at times. Go back and look at Antoine Winfield Sr. playing for the Vikings. One of the best 'form' tacklers ever - typically hit guys waist-high, slid down, hooked the legs and made the tackle. Not as flashy as the guy trying to make the knock-out hit, but more effective.

Eric Murray tackled that way as well.

From what I've seen on twitter, it's not just the targeting, but a combination of the targeting, and then the actions/mood of some of the players after. Regardless of what we think about the targeting call in that instance, I don't know if it's a good look to be high fiving, hugging, or whatever on the sideline after being kicked out of the game. Regardless of intent, the optics don't look good. We've had at least two coaching staffs get upset with ours because of the targeting/post targeting stuff this year. We can argue that they are just pansy's, but again the optics of it aren't good.

If we can't do anything about changing how we tackle (this is debatable), than at the very least we need to change how we proceed/act after the ejection. No big high fives, no celebrating or pumping each other up, just grab your helmet and jog to the locker room.

I don't have a problem with it at all. He's been kicked out, he's trying to pump up his teammates. Happens all the time.

I don't have a problem with it at all. He's been kicked out, he's trying to pump up his teammates. Happens all the time.

McGhee was pretty subdued against NU. I think he got dinged up a bit in the hit. If you watch it, he immediately goes to his knees after the hit. Either he got dinged or knew he was out of the game.

The incredulous part is the Sooch said he was watching the game. He's made the point many times that the "Gophers aren't my team Pal."

I'm talking about all of the instances where this happened, not just the last game. According to people that were there, (Illinois game?) while the opposing player was down players were, for whatever reason, in an arguably celebratory mood. Ehhh, I don't know, just don't think it's a good look. Regardless of if it's true or not, we don't want this notion that we are dirty or classless to gain any traction.

I'm talking about all of the instances where this happened, not just the last game. According to people that were there, (Illinois game?) while the opposing player was down players were, for whatever reason, in an arguably celebratory mood. Ehhh, I don't know, just don't think it's a good look. Regardless of if it's true or not, we don't want this notion that we are dirty or classless to gain any traction.

Too late.

Too late.

And not really too bad. The Gophers since kill came in have tried to be an aggressive tough team. There have been a few games where they beat down the other team physically (Nebraska in 14, NU last week). If you are trying to have an identity as a tough team, naturally other teams (at times correctly) will see you as dirty or classless. So be it.

Top Bottom