Is Duke McGhee a dirty player?

duke is not a dirty player and this team isnt dirty either - only people you hear parroting those lines in these times are badgers and badger sycophants

duke is not a dirty player and this team isnt dirty either - only people you hear parroting those lines in these times are badgers and badger sycophants

Oh, don't kid yourself! I'm certain Beaver, Boilermaker, Illini & Wildcat fans are all echoing these thoughts or worse!

When my team gets called for it: pussification of America.

When the other team gets called for it: they're dirty.

I agree but I hate seeing head or neck injuries playing football. I think the Gopher coaching staff needs to focus on tackling lower.

I don't think he's dirty, but I do think he tries for the big hit. Sadly, that means he misses a lot of tackles, and it's costed us. I hope the coaches talk to him and tell him how good he could be without trying to make the big hit on every chance he gets.

Oh, I forgot Nittany Lion fans. That was probably the worst one of all and you didn't beat them!

Wait, is this a tally of who hates the Gophers? Not going to work. I have heard good things from the other fans about our program, but quite a lot of negativity surrounding the Badger fanbase from Nebraska and Iowa fans.

The Penn State kicker? Please

Wait, is this a tally of who hates the Gophers? Not going to work. I have heard good things from the other fans about our program, but quite a lot of negativity surrounding the Badger fanbase from Nebraska and Iowa fans.

The Penn State kicker? Please

When in Lincoln last weekend, the Husker fans were overwhelmingly friendly. Several of their fans who initiated conversation with us expressed their distaste for and bad experiences with Badger fans... FYI...

When in Lincoln last weekend, the Husker fans were overwhelmingly friendly. Several of their fans who initiated conversation with us expressed their distaste for and bad experiences with Badger fans... FYI...

Yeah we had a similar experience. I think our visiting badger fan could look in the mirror at his team and how many holding penalties they get away with.

That board is an indictment of Northwestern's ability to teach critical thinking skills. One of the posters has no idea what constitutes targeting (requires contact to head or neck area).

A sample:

"3 targeting ejections in one year on one player time for Delaney to ban this player and position coach and coordinator for institutionalized violence"

Another:

"By the way the early hit on Skowronek by Winfield was a clear PF. After the ball left Skowronek's hands Winfield took 3 steps and launched into Skow's defenseless body. No call. It wasn't helmet to helmet but that is not the rule with defenseless receivers."

The hysterics continue.

Jazz is such a gay name. Pretty sure there's a show about transsexual teenager called I am Jazz

Great- now we have a bonehead throwing around terminology we try to get our kids not to use- grow up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Proof we do not have a monopoly on bad sports writers:

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-91940984/

"All around college football, we see safeties pulling up We do?rather than delivering the kind of concussion-causing blows that threaten to wreck lives — and the game as a whole. What is Minnesota teaching its players? This is a black mark on what has otherwise been an excellent coaching job by Claeys.

Here's an idea: Suspend the head coach for a game once his team reaches five targeting penalties."

Here's an idea: suspend the officials that ejected Celestin and Rallis and overturned the targeting call on Leidner last year.

Any national numbers out there? Does MN have the most targeting calls? Does Big Ten have the most calls? Hard to comment when we don't know the data.

Dirty? Probably not. Selfish or irresponsible? Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Him being dirty means he is doing it on purpose. Yeah, he's purposely trying to do things that get him ejected and suspended.

Minnesota has the most targeting calls in the county. Why? Not because they have committed the most targeting infactions, but because they have had the most called against them. Minnesota opposing teams have committed as many or more of these plays and they haven't been called. Conspiracy plain and simple. So now Minnesota is on a watch list for dirty plays/players. Doesn't matter that 2 of the 7 weren't even close to targeting, and 3 more were very questionable calls. Minnesota has actually committed 2 clear targeting penalties but have the reputation of having committed 7. And not one cal against a team playing the gophers even though mitch and others have clearly been on the receiving end of targeting hits. B1G 7 - Minnesota 0.

Minnesota has the most targeting calls in the county. Why? Not because they have committed the most targeting infactions, but because they have had the most called against them. Minnesota opposing teams have committed as many or more of these plays and they haven't been called. Conspiracy plain and simple. So now Minnesota is on a watch list for dirty plays/players. Doesn't matter that 2 of the 7 weren't even close to targeting, and 3 more were very questionable calls. Minnesota has actually committed 2 clear targeting penalties but have the reputation of having committed 7. And not one cal against a team playing the gophers even though mitch and others have clearly been on the receiving end of targeting hits. B1G 7 - Minnesota 0.

This. I can think of 3 off the top of my head that weren't called -- and I'm sure there's more.

1) Leidner against Iowa
2) Rodney Smith against Illinois
3) Steve Richardson against NW

These players weren't WRs, the plays happened quick, and our guys didn't suffer an injury or stay down after the play, so no calls. But clear helmet to helmet contact and "launching".

Most of us watch a LOT of college football. These hits happen ALL the time. Many aren't called. What's happening to MN this year has been BS.

This. I can think of 3 off the top of my head that weren't called -- and I'm sure there's more.

1) Leidner against Iowa
2) Rodney Smith against Illinois
3) Steve Richardson against NW

These players weren't WRs, the plays happened quick, and our guys didn't suffer an injury or stay down after the play, so no calls. But clear helmet to helmet contact and "launching".

Most of us watch a LOT of college football. These hits happen ALL the time. Many aren't called. What's happening to MN this year has been BS.

Agree. We have a reputation, so all the calls go against us.

For any opposing fans who don't buy this, take a minute to educate yourselves on what is called against us and what is not called elsewhere.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I wouldn't say the hit was dirty but the intent was to HIT not to tackle. Duke is the poster child of what the NCAA is trying to eliminate, guys flying around laying the wood looking to injure/create a turnover as opposed to looking to tackle. Fact is your running a risk of not making a tackle when you go for just a big hit anyway, and now with the rules the way they are you risk getting a penalty negating any play you make. Fast forward 4 years from now and there are a lot more Winfield's out there and a lot fewer Duke's and I don't think that sissifies the game. Duke is playing the way he was taught to play and it isn't dirty.

I have to scoff a bit at all of the Northwestern and Illinois fans losing it over that hit and Duke's hit against Illinois. Then to think the Gophers were celebrating? After this hit https://vine.co/v/iapuQHl67rd the Badger sideline was going nuts (in an energized way), including Cichy trying to pump up the crowd. I recall some folks getting on Jack Lynn for trying to pump up the fans a few weeks ago following his targeting ejection, but the Badger game last year takes the cake for disrespect.

Point is, Duke is not doing this on purpose, nor is he or the rest of the team celebrating. There are indeed malicious targeting hits, but I don't think either of his had the intent of hurting an individual.

This guy Sawvel gets it

You say, ‘go lower’ and then all of a sudden you have guys where they have their eyes in the ground to go lower,” Sawvel said. “All of sudden you teach guys to get into position that paralyzes them. We ain’t going to do it.”

Thinking about the evolution of the game the forward pass has been promoted via draconian pass interference rules, allowing textbook holding on every play, etc. Done to promote scoring and excitement. What I'df the team evolved back towards promoting the running game? Defense? Allowing d lines to get after qbs? Cut down Wes utilizing the middle of the field? Might have some effect around the edges.

That's Barreiro's assertion, going so far as to say making him sit for one game isn't nearly enough. I can see his point. A couple of hits that essentially knocked the other team's best WR out of the game sure don't look good.
In watching yesterday's play back several times, it's most certainly targeting by the letter of the law. It's such a split second play, but it almost looked like Carr's helmet made contact with Duke first, not vice versa. You could see that he was woozy after the hit. Winfield essentially pushed Carr into Duke's path. Do you try and teach DBs to only make ankle tackles from now on?

Who is this Barreiro you speak of? Never heard of him.

Top Bottom