Iowa AD / CFP Chairman goes full jerkface regarding Cincinnati's CFP ranking

What happened to Indiana is exactly why you gotta play 4 P5s if you’re a G5 that wants to get into the CFP.

Its no one’s fault but theirs that they chose to play Murray State and Miami (OH) while in a G5 conference. If they had played (and beat) two more P5, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But they chose not to.
As mentioned already, I think that is nearly impossible. P5 teams have no reason to schedule games with programs like Cinci.

Don’t pretend to be so stupid.
Minnesota plays in the Big Ten. Minnesota plays 10 P5 opponents.
Cincy plays is in G5 conference. And arguably not even the best G5 conference.

YOU LOSE

note: this is actually post #78, but Herd is so incompetent at posting that it wouldn't let me reply to that post because the board thinks he didn't post anything of his own there.

Of course you did, no need to be dishonest. You said "it's just getting stupid" and therefore directly compared the CFP to the NCAA FCS playoff, implying the latter is better.
It's stupid that Cincinnati that was ranked in the top 10 and is now 9-0 with teams losing all around them, is still ranked at only 6. They have taken care of everything they possibly could have including a top 10 win on the road. That is stupid. I did not say anything or suggest anything with regard to FCS football, that is not part of the conversation, except the conversation you are having with yourself.

It's stupid that Cincinnati that was ranked in the top 10 and is now 9-0 with teams losing all around them, is still ranked at only 6.
Why? Is #6 not in the top 10?

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. This is just sports, another form of entertainment. There are no world or even national consequences of taking some team into the 4 team playoff that didn't play as good of a schedule as some other team.

I don't think you can shut out undefeated G5 teams continuously. You can do it most of the time but at least once in awhile you have to pick an exceptional G5 team. If you don't then you're telling all of the G5 teams that they don't have a chance no matter how good of a season they have. Besides, they've already let independent Notre Dame into the CFP twice.

Can Cincinnati really do any worse than Michigan State did when they made the CFP (0-38 to Alabama), or Ohio State in the 2016 season (0-31 against Clemson), or Oklahoma in the 2019 season (28-63 against LSU), or Florida State in the inaugural CFP (20-59 against Oregon)?
Your arguments are fine, I just don't think they hold much water.

Something like "well team #8 wouldn't really do much worst against #1 than #4 would, so let's just throw #8 in there instead", is not going to stand on two legs.

Certainly, TV will say no.

And then, in an expanded playoff, they'd likely get trounced like UMAC teams do in the D3 tournament, and the best team would still likely win.
Trounced, you mean like how Cincinnati was trounced by top 10 Notre Dame?

Do I think anyone can play with Georgia? No, maybe Alabama, but that's about it. It's not like Cincinnati would fare worse vs. Georgia than anyone else in the country, they will all get beat. Would I be afraid to matchup Cincinnati with anyone in the B1G? Not at all. Would love to see Cincinnati vs. Michigan State. I would think Cincy would be favored or at least have a good chance to win.

Last year did I think Coastal Carolina should be considered in the top 4? No way. This year do I think Cincy should be in the 4? For sure, that's a good team regardless of conference. The selection committee is trying to paint Cincinnati like they do Coastal or Fresno. That's not accurate.

Alabama will have played several top 25 CFP ranked teams by season's end. Cinci will have played one. One.
And it seems pretty suspect that both the coaches poll and the AP poll have SMU and Houston ranked, and the CFP does not. Both AAC teams that would have given Cinci wins over
Trounced, you mean like how Cincinnati was trounced by top 10 Notre Dame?

Do I think anyone can play with Georgia? No, maybe Alabama, but that's about it. It's not like Cincinnati would fare worse vs. Georgia than anyone else in the country, they will all get beat. Would I be afraid to matchup Cincinnati with anyone in the B1G? Not at all. Would love to see Cincinnati vs. Michigan State. I would think Cincy would be favored or at least have a good chance to win.

Last year did I think Coastal Carolina should be considered in the top 4? No way. This year do I think Cincy should be in the 4? For sure, that's a good team regardless of conference. The selection committee is trying to paint Cincinnati like they do Coastal or Fresno. That's not accurate.
No, my point is that in my perfect scenario, there would be a 16 team tournament, featuring all ten conference champions, and four at-large. So yes, last year that would have included Coastal. This year, it would likely include UTSA. That's how it's done in every other division. And if Coastal got pounded by the SEC champ in the first round, so be it, like when Martin Luther gets killed by St. Johns in the D3 playoffs.

Actually pretty good scheduling by Cincinnati with highly ranked Indiana and Notre Dame on the schedule to start the season. Not Cincinnati's fault that Indiana has struggled.

You cannot fault Cincinnati for scheduling, with 2 top 15 preseason on the schedule.
The Indiana game was scheduled in July of 2014 (link)

Indiana was coming off seasons of 4 wins (2012) and 5 wins (2013) and will be lucky to reach 4 this season. This is exactly the team they expected.

And it seems pretty suspect that both the coaches poll and the AP poll have SMU and Houston ranked, and the CFP does not. Both AAC teams that would have given Cinci wins over

No, my point is that in my perfect scenario, there would be a 16 team tournament, featuring all ten conference champions, and four at-large. So yes, last year that would have included Coastal. This year, it would likely include UTSA. That's how it's done in every other division. And if Coastal got pounded by the SEC champ in the first round, so be it, like when Martin Luther gets killed by St. Johns in the D3 playoffs.

While I like the idea of a 16-team playoff, it's unworkable in FBS. It would add 4 more games to the 12-game regular season (+1 for conference championship) for the final two teams; 2 more games than they have now. I think an 8-game playoff is as large as it will ever get as long as there are bowl game alternatives and conference championships.

I've long thought that someone would come up with an NIT equivalent in football for G5 teams. It would be better than the no-name shit bowls most play in now.

While I like the idea of a 16-team playoff, it's unworkable in FBS. It would add 4 more games to the 12-game regular season (+1 for conference championship) for the final two teams; 2 more games than they have now. I think an 8-game playoff is as large as it will ever get as long as there are bowl game alternatives and conference championships.

I've long thought that someone would come up with an NIT equivalent in football for G5 teams. It would be better than the no-name shit bowls most play in now.
D3 plays a 32 team tournament. That's ten regular season, and if you make it to the finals, an additional five game. FCS is a 24-team bracket, with the one seeds getting a bye in the first round. They play 12 regular season games, so if you didn't have a bye and you made it to the finals, you would have played 17 games.

Incorporate the shit bowls into the system. At least they'd mean something.

I’d rather play (and beat) a team that played in a Power 5 conference.
So are you basically saying no G5 team could be better than a P5 team? On the off-chance we would play Cinci in a bowl game, and beat them, beating a top ten team, regardless of conference is a good feather in the cap.

So are you basically saying no G5 team could be better than a P5 team? On the off-chance we would play Cinci in a bowl game, and beat them, beating a top ten team, regardless of conference is a good feather in the cap.
Michigan
Oklahoma
Wake Forest
Notre Dame

Those are the top 10 teams behind Cincy. Would you rather have a win vs Cincy, or ANY of those teams? The answer is obvious.

I’d rather play (and beat) a team that played in a Power 5 conference.
100%.

Playing a G5 in a bowl game is the same problem for P5 as playing them in non-conf: if you win, you were supposed to, if you lose, it's an upset.

Michigan
Oklahoma
Wake Forest
Notre Dame

Those are the top 10 teams behind Cincy. Would you rather have a win vs Cincy, or ANY of those teams? The answer is obvious.
Well... Minnesota wouldn't be playing Michigan in a bowl game, so let's just toss that out.

Wake Forest is having a historic year to be sure, but just because they're in the ACC doesn't mean they're better or more prestigious than Cinci. I think Cinci is a better team than WF.

ND and Oklahoma. From a name perspective, sure, those are big name legacy programs. But I don't know that they're better this season than Cincinnati. Oh wait, the Bearcats beat the hell out of ND, so we DO know they're a better team.

Cincinatti beat Notre dame
ND hardly looks like a world beater this year, and there is not much to stop them from going through the season with that being their only loss. I think they get exposed in bowl season (most recent projections have them going to Peach Bowl vs. Michigan (CFN), Fiesta vs. Kentucky (what? Jerry Palm), Peach Bowl vs. Wake (Sporting News), etc. etc.

However, 3+ years down the road, when Cincy is in a P5 conference and bobbing around the middle of the pack, people would remember a win vs. ND more favorably that a win vs. Cincy. Just my opinion.

@Florida StateW41-38 OT1-0 (0-0)
vsToledoW32-292-0 (0-0)
vsPurdueW27-133-0 (0-0)
vsWisconsinW41-134-0 (0-0)
vsCincinnatiL24-134-1 (0-0)
@Virginia TechW32-295-1 (0-0)
vsUSCW31-166-1 (0-0)
vsNorth CarolinaW44-347-1 (0-0)

The new Big XII won't be a P5. It will be down with the G's. There will be a P4.

What is the argument for 12 teams rather than 16? That way everybody is on a more level playing field or is the argument 13, 14, 15, 16 are going to lose to the top seeds anyway so why include them?
Maybe that has some merit but not playing coming off a bye can make it difficult to find your rhythm offensively. Of course the other side says they are rested and healed up and have an unfair advantage.
I think I'm an 8 or 16 guy vs 12.

What is the argument for 12 teams rather than 16? That way everybody is on a more level playing field or is the argument 13, 14, 15, 16 are going to lose to the top seeds anyway so why include them?
Maybe that has some merit but not playing coming off a bye can make it difficult to find your rhythm offensively. Of course the other side says they are rested and healed up and have an unfair advantage.
One idea:

currently, you have to be top 4. So being top 4 is something special. With 12, the top 4 get byes, so being top 4 is still something worth fighting for, as opposed to #5,6,7.

Trying to keep the regular season as relevant as possible.

ND hardly looks like a world beater this year, and there is not much to stop them from going through the season with that being their only loss. I think they get exposed in bowl season (most recent projections have them going to Peach Bowl vs. Michigan (CFN), Fiesta vs. Kentucky (what? Jerry Palm), Peach Bowl vs. Wake (Sporting News), etc. etc.

However, 3+ years down the road, when Cincy is in a P5 conference and bobbing around the middle of the pack, people would remember a win vs. ND more favorably that a win vs. Cincy. Just my opinion.

@Florida StateW41-38 OT1-0 (0-0)
vsToledoW32-292-0 (0-0)
vsPurdueW27-133-0 (0-0)
vsWisconsinW41-134-0 (0-0)
vsCincinnatiL24-134-1 (0-0)
@Virginia TechW32-295-1 (0-0)
vsUSCW31-166-1 (0-0)
vsNorth CarolinaW44-347-1 (0-0)
I’m not talking about 3 years from now

Actually pretty good scheduling by Cincinnati with highly ranked Indiana and Notre Dame on the schedule to start the season. Not Cincinnati's fault that Indiana has struggled.

You cannot fault Cincinnati for scheduling, with 2 top 15 preseason on the schedule.
I'm assuming Cinci scheduled Indiana a few years out (edit-just saw UU's post that it was 2104). The only assumption they could have made then was that it would be a winnable game. They are actually really lucky that Indiana was way overrated to start the season as it makes that win look better.

I’m not talking about 3 years from now
What plays better in the press and to casual fans on January 2nd, 2022:

Gophers Defeat Top 10 Notre Dame 35-14
Gophers Defeat Top 10 Cincinnati 35-14

Which one will be more memorable to fans in the future?

I agree. I think it should be 16.

If we expanded the season two more games how many running backs would we roster to complete a season?? :)

What plays better in the press and to casual fans on January 2nd, 2022:

Gophers Defeat Top 10 Notre Dame 35-14
Gophers Defeat Top 10 Cincinnati 35-14

Which one will be more memorable to fans in the future?
I guess I missed what you were talking about. Yeah I tend to agree with you.

A couple things....
If Cincy runs the table, they will be in a good position to end up in the top 4 this year. There are many losses still in front of the teams that currently surround them.

College football has the most under represented amount of teams that have a chance to win the national title than any other team sport. How only four teams have had a shot is mind boggling to me. Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Tennis, Golf etc......all have as much as 16X the opportunity to play for a national title. Going to 12-16 teams for the playoff only makes sense to me.

My preference is 8 teams. 5 conference winners and 3 at-large. So how would it play out if every team wins all their remaining games, lower ranked team takes the "L" for this exercise.

Georgia13-0IN
Alabama11-2out
MSU13-0IN
Oregon12-1IN
tOSU11-2out
Cincinnati13-0IN
Mich11-2out
Oklahoma13-0IN
Wake Forest13-0IN
Notre Dame11-1IN
OK St.11-2
Baylor11-2
Auburn
A&M
BYU
Ole Miss
Miss St
Kentucky
NC State
Minnesota

Auburn and A&M still have to play each other.
I have 7 teams in and I'm not sure who would be #8. For the life of me, I can't find 12 teams, that after a full season, conference championship (sorry ND and BYU) truly deserve the opportunity to get into a playoff expanded past 8. Now find 16 teams.

This assumes a nice, clean, top-ranked team winning each game. Put Alabama winning the CCG and they and Georgia are both at 12-1 and what does that do. MSU still has to face tOSU and may not reach the CCG. Do they deserve a playoff spot if they don't even make the CCG? Not in my mind.

8 is the right number, and I'll die on that hill.

8 is the right number, and I'll die on that hill.
Doesn't matter how powerful and fair the logic is that you used to arrive at this.

TV has to agree to pay for it. That's the actual end all, be all. And they want 12. So, you'll lose.

Top Bottom