Iowa AD / CFP Chairman goes full jerkface regarding Cincinnati's CFP ranking

If he was talking about them not playing P5 teams, then he would have mentioned Indiana. He didn't which means he's really just talking about what top teams Cinci has beaten.
I don't think you can speak for what he "actually" meant, but neither can I.

You bring up a fair point, then. But I also don't at all see any "jerk"-ness in the Tweet.

And so, I think it's perfectly fine to note that not playing P5 programs week after week is an unfair advantage that a G5 like Cincy gets.

All this fretting over what the committee thinks. Comparing power 5 and group of 5 SOS. It could all or mostly go away with a proper tourney.
That’s the problem. It won’t go away.
Giving G5 a seat at the table will only create more G5 teams and conferences with increasingly weaker schedules.

The hypocrisy runs deep in this so called playoff ranking. Cincinnati screw job, and the hypocrisy is crazy.

Oregon at #4? Lost to a terrible Stanford. . . let's just look the other way on that. Best Oregon win is Ohio State, who's best win is Minnesota, who lost to Bowling Green. And they want to talk about Cincinnati's strength of schedule?

It's just getting stupid at this point. On the field, doesn't matter, just a P5 invitational. Not sure why you even play the games at this point. Committee, zero credibility.

If either Oklahoma or Wake Forest had beaten the CFP's number 10 on the road, I would think they would feel pretty insulted.
In 2019, we were 9-0 after beating #4 Penn State and were ranked #8.

If a G5 team want to get invited to the big dance they need wins over at least three P5 teams, preferably 4. They shouldn’t have played a MAC and FCS opponent if their goal was the CFP.
Actually pretty good scheduling by Cincinnati with highly ranked Indiana and Notre Dame on the schedule to start the season. Not Cincinnati's fault that Indiana has struggled.

You cannot fault Cincinnati for scheduling, with 2 top 15 preseason on the schedule.

Below is a list of all the unbeatens:

1. Georgia
3. Michigan State
6. Cincinnati
8. Oklahoma
9. Wake Forest
NR: UTSA

I think the unbeatens are positioned in the right order, even if you don’t agree with the ranking. I also think it shows a healthy respect for Cinci that they are ahead of undefeated ACC and Big 12 teams. If Cinci should be insulted by their #6 rank, then how should Oklahoma and Wake Forest feel?
I agree the top 5 unbeaten are rated correctly.
Alabama with one quality win and a loss essentially have the same resume as Oregon And Ohio state….would think for consistency sake those three would all either be between cinci and Oklahoma (because Oklahoma doesn’t have a quality win that’s where the break is) or after all of them.

it really should be:
Teams with a quality win and no losses
1)Georgia
2) Michigan state
3) Cincinnati
Teams with no losses but no quality wins
4) Oklahoma
5) wake forest
6)UTSA
Teams with one loss but a quality win:
7) Alabama
8) Oregon best win but worst loss
9) Ohio state

and I think you could really justify making my 7,8,9 switch places with my 4,5,6

A case can be made that UTSA really has no quality wins or medium wins either. Justifying dropping them below two loss teams or one loss teams with zero quality wins. Such as: (in any order)
10) Notre dame (1 loss, 1 qualify win)
11) ok state (1 loss, 1 quality win)
12) Baylor (1 loss, 1 quality win)
13) Michigan (1 loss, 1 quality win)

14) auburn (2 losses, 1 quality win)
15) Texas A&M (2 losses, 1 quality win)

Those are the only 15 teams with top 16 wins.

Actually pretty good scheduling by Cincinnati with highly ranked Indiana and Notre Dame on the schedule to start the season. Not Cincinnati's fault that Indiana has struggled.

You cannot fault Cincinnati for scheduling, with 2 top 15 preseason on the schedule.
What happened to Indiana is exactly why you gotta play 4 P5s if you’re a G5 that wants to get into the CFP.

Its no one’s fault but theirs that they chose to play Murray State and Miami (OH) while in a G5 conference. If they had played (and beat) two more P5, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But they chose not to.

It's just getting stupid at this point.
That must be why we're hearing nothing about Dakota schools being included in the CUSA. They don't want any piece of the CFP! That must be it.

NDSU fans will settle for winning the JV tournament year after year, against no competition, while fan apathy sets in deeper.

The hypocrisy runs deep in this so called playoff ranking. Cincinnati screw job, and the hypocrisy is crazy.

Oregon at #4? Lost to a terrible Stanford. . . let's just look the other way on that. Best Oregon win is Ohio State, who's best win is Minnesota, who lost to Bowling Green. And they want to talk about Cincinnati's strength of schedule?

It's just getting stupid at this point. On the field, doesn't matter, just a P5 invitational. Not sure why you even play the games at this point. Committee, zero credibility.
It's a P5 invite because they are usually the best and strongest teams that prove themselves against the best schedules for 12 weeks.

Anyone can win a 1 game-winner take all. Ndsu knows that with their 1 game a yr FBS opponent super bowl which they play well in. Props to bizon. But that doesnr mean Jack. Same with all G5 schools. Sorry...statistically it doesnt work

If a G5 team want to get invited to the big dance they need wins over at least three P5 teams, preferably 4. They shouldn’t have played a MAC and FCS opponent if their goal was the CFP.
Except for the obvious issue, that three P5 teams aren't going to schedule a Cinci, because those P5 teams would rather schedule a bunch of patsys.

That’s the problem. It won’t go away.
Giving G5 a seat at the table will only create more G5 teams and conferences with increasingly weaker schedules.
And then, in an expanded playoff, they'd likely get trounced like UMAC teams do in the D3 tournament, and the best team would still likely win.

Except for the obvious issue, that three P5 teams aren't going to schedule a Cinci, because those P5 teams would rather schedule a bunch of patsys.
Yup, need expanded playoffs.

It's hard to justify putting P5 and G5 together and not expanding...and locking out G5.

Nobody is more skeptical of G5 teams than me... But they should get a shot.

If for some reason the season ended today I'd be fine with Cincinnati getting a shot from the six spot, or better.

Last edited:

That must be why we're hearing nothing about Dakota schools being included in the CUSA. They don't want any piece of the CFP! That must be it.

NDSU fans will settle for winning the JV tournament year after year, against no competition, while fan apathy sets in deeper.
Well, among Bison fans, there's been discussion for years now about FBS. But they don't get to make that decision on their own - they need an invite. And from what I understand, there are some political issues in ND regarding whether the state would push for UND to move as well, which is another whole can of worms. I don't know what the situation is in SD. (though I think it would be hilarious if SDSU moved, and NDSU was frozen out.)

There's also the issue of geography, though if they were allowed to be a football-only member, that wouldn't matter.

One point you are correct on though, is apathy is growing up there. A lot more empty seats than there used to be. And there are definitely fans that are discouraged that most of the other long time FCS powers have moved up, or are now doing so.

What happened to Indiana is exactly why you gotta play 4 P5s if you’re a G5 that wants to get into the CFP.

Its no one’s fault but theirs that they chose to play Murray State and Miami (OH) while in a G5 conference. If they had played (and beat) two more P5, we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But they chose not to.
So obviously MN has no desire to ever make the CFP . . . Miami (OH), Bowling Green, Colorado.

Well, among Bison fans, there's been discussion for years now about FBS. But they don't get to make that decision on their own - they need an invite. And from what I understand, there are some political issues in ND regarding whether the state would push for UND to move as well, which is another whole can of worms. I don't know what the situation is in SD. (though I think it would be hilarious if SDSU moved, and NDSU was frozen out.)

There's also the issue of geography, though if they were allowed to be a football-only member, that wouldn't matter.

One point you are correct on though, is apathy is growing up there. A lot more empty seats than there used to be. And there are definitely fans that are discouraged that most of the other long time FCS powers have moved up, or are now doing so.

Gopher fans would know all about apathy. I didn't mention anything about fcs football by the way, nothing.

So obviously MN has no desire to ever make the CFP . . . Miami (OH), Bowling Green, Colorado.

Don’t pretend to be so stupid.
Minnesota plays in the Big Ten. Minnesota plays 10 P5 opponents.
Cincy plays is in G5 conference. And arguably not even the best G5 conference.

YOU LOSE.

That argument has no merit.
Not only are P5 teams willing to play them, they are willing to pay them a fortune.

It will be interesting to see if Fickell sticks around if Cincy misses the CFP.

Does he bolt or just wait to see if they can dominate the new Big12?

I'm not plugged in by any means, but I don't think ND state politics would prevent NDSU from moving up to FBS. Especially with a football-only invite, where they'd stay in the Summit for most other sports.

UND is always going to hang its hat on hockey, while NDSU is football.

UND admirably caught up in DII football in the late 90's and early 2000's, and is doing very well now in the MVFC. Not sure if they can possibly muster a move up.

I didn't mention anything about fcs football by the way, nothing.
note: this is actually post #78, but Herd is so incompetent at posting that it wouldn't let me reply to that post because the board thinks he didn't post anything of his own there.

Of course you did, no need to be dishonest. You said "it's just getting stupid" and therefore directly compared the CFP to the NCAA FCS playoff, implying the latter is better.

With a four-team bracket ... that is correct, and should be correct.

The bracket will be expanded, then there will be one in.

I think you're taking this a bit too seriously. This is just sports, another form of entertainment. There are no world or even national consequences of taking some team into the 4 team playoff that didn't play as good of a schedule as some other team.

I don't think you can shut out undefeated G5 teams continuously. You can do it most of the time but at least once in awhile you have to pick an exceptional G5 team. If you don't then you're telling all of the G5 teams that they don't have a chance no matter how good of a season they have. Besides, they've already let independent Notre Dame into the CFP twice.

Can Cincinnati really do any worse than Michigan State did when they made the CFP (0-38 to Alabama), or Ohio State in the 2016 season (0-31 against Clemson), or Oklahoma in the 2019 season (28-63 against LSU), or Florida State in the inaugural CFP (20-59 against Oregon)?

Last edited:

Well, he has a point. Even if Cinci wins out, it will be a garbage resume' compared to the other top teams. A win over SMU and Houston (in the championship) would help a tiny bit. Close wins over teams like Tulane and Navy don't help.
Who has Alabama beat?

CFP discussion, stay focused . . . if that's possible for you.

Minnesota has 10P5s on the schedule this year: out of 12 possible.

cinci has 2 out of 4 possible.

Top Bottom