Iowa AD / CFP Chairman goes full jerkface regarding Cincinnati's CFP ranking

Cincy will be in the NY6, and I don't see how we could make the NY6 without winning out and thus going to the Rose Bowl, which would then likely be against a P5 at least, if not a PAC team.
What I meant is would GHers think it would be a good game. Just how exactly do we rate Cincinnati?

Below is a list of all the unbeatens:

1. Georgia
3. Michigan State
6. Cincinnati
8. Oklahoma
9. Wake Forest
NR: UTSA

I think the unbeatens are positioned in the right order, even if you don’t agree with the ranking. I also think it shows a healthy respect for Cinci that they are ahead of undefeated ACC and Big 12 teams. If Cinci should be insulted by their #6 rank, then how should Oklahoma and Wake Forest feel?
Oklahoma is a fraud and Michigan State will not get by Ohio State.

What I meant is would GHers think it would be a good game. Just how exactly do we rate Cincinnati?
Would be the worst possible, in my mind.

Like Wisconsin playing Western Michigan.

If you win, you were supposed to, if you lose, it's a pathetic shocking upset.

1. Georgia
3. Michigan State
6. Cincinnati
8. Oklahoma
9. Wake Forest

I think the unbeatens are positioned in the right order, even if you don’t agree with the ranking. I also think it shows a healthy respect for Cinci that they are ahead of undefeated ACC and Big 12 teams. If Cinci should be insulted by their #6 rank, then how should Oklahoma and Wake Forest feel?
MSU is no less fake on that list, than Wake and UTSA.

1. Georgia
3. Michigan State
6. Cincinnati
8. Oklahoma
9. Wake Forest

If either Oklahoma or Wake Forest had beaten the CFP's number 10 on the road, I would think they would feel pretty insulted.

A 12 team playoff would be pretty cool right now. We'd be fighting for a spot, and then for a home seed.
One of the only reasons I would be for a 12-team playoff is they idea of the first round being played as home games by the higher seed. The idea of an SEC team having to play in Columbus, Ann Arbor, Mpls, etc. in December would be awesome.

I believe that Utah will win the Pac-12 south. They play Stanford, Arizona, and Colorado which they should win and then they have a home game against Oregon. If they go 3-1 they would make the title game against (presumably) Oregon. With another loss we'd be looking at an 8-5 Pac-12 runner up -- maybe the Rose Bowl takes a 9-3 ASU if they run the table.

tl;dr -- you're right that I don't know what good options there are for the Rose Bowl other than a two loss Oregon team.

p.s. I don't think the Rose can take anyone but a B1G and Pac-12 team.
This came up in the discussions around TCU dumping their long time, successful coach.
TCU did beat a BB led WI team in the Rose Bowl by a point or two.
I do not think TCU was in the Pac12 at the time and do not know how they got in the Rose Bowl.

Would be the worst possible, in my mind.

Like Wisconsin playing Western Michigan.

If you win, you were supposed to, if you lose, it's a pathetic shocking upset.
Who's Wisconsin and who's Western Michigan in your analogy?

This came up in the discussions around TCU dumping their long time, successful coach.
I do not think TCU was in the Pac12 at the time and do not know how they got in the Rose Bowl.
They weren't in the Big XII yet, they were still in the Mountain West.

The BCS had been "upgraded" at that time to automatically include a G5 team that was ranked in the top X of the BCS formula rankings. TCU finished the regular season as #3 in the rankings, obviously just outside the championship game. The rules forced the Rose Bowl to take #3 TCU, instead of #4 Stanford, with #2 Oregon going to the title game.

If only there were a mechanism to narrow down and crown a national champion amongst conference champions. 🤔. Has anyone conceived of such a system?

I wish they'd just bite the bullet and do what every single other division does, and have an actual postseason tournament.

I wish they'd just bite the bullet and do what every single other division does, and have an actual postseason tournament.
They have that now. Will be expanding.

The NCAA has never been in charge of major college football's postseason, and never will be. So that's silly, if that's what you meant.

All this fretting over what the committee thinks. Comparing power 5 and group of 5 SOS. It could all or mostly go away with a proper tourney. Some say they don’t like an expanded playoff because it makes the regular season cheap and the beauty of college football is every game is a tournament game in a sense. Yet Alabama gets a mulligan every year under current and recent formats.

Pac12 seems to get hosed most years.

just do the right thing and give auto-bids to P5 champions, 1 slot to highest ranked G5, and throw in a couple at large bids. This would still provide some controversy but far less than what we have now.

^^ all this just proves that having a committee of humans is correct.

No algorithm or computer formula can correctly capture the "eye test" or "smell test", that raw numbers alone can lie about.

Very fair point! It was a function of the BCS NCG agreement between the major bowls.

"For the games of January 2011 through 2014, the first year the Rose Bowl loses a team to the NCG and a team from the non-AQ group is an automatic qualifier, that non-AQ team will play in the Rose Bowl."

Here is the archive.com link

Not a single thing about the Tweet was "jerk"-like. Just stating the truth.

Objective fact: Cincy does not deserve the playoff. If you're going to run the table, have some groceries on it.

Playing unranked P5 teams, especially on the road, is still significantly tougher and more tolling than playing unranked G5 teams.

Very happy to endorse Cincy/Houston/SMU (whoever wins the AAC this season) for a NY6 bowl, and wish them good luck.

That's what it's going to be.
His comment doesn't make sense as of right now. Who has Ohio St beaten? And they even have a loss.

The stupidest part of the initial rankings though is Alabama being 2nd.

They have that now. Will be expanding.

The NCAA has never been in charge of major college football's postseason, and never will be. So that's silly, if that's what you meant.
No, they do not. They have an invitation-only four team playoff. At all other levels, even the lowest conferences get auto bids. As it should be.

Who has Ohio St beaten?
As I said, correctly:

playing and beating unranked P5 teams is much more difficult and takes much more of a toll on your team, than playing unranked G5 teams.

Not at all comaprable.

As I said, correctly:

playing and beating unranked P5 teams is much more difficult and takes much more of a toll on your team, than playing unranked G5 teams.

Not at all comaprable.
The Iowa ID didn't say besides Notre Dame and Indiana, who has Cinci beaten. If he was talking about them not playing P5 teams, then he would have mentioned Indiana. He didn't which means he's really just talking about what top teams Cinci has beaten. Which, again, makes no sense because Ohio St has only beaten one team in their initial rankings as well.

It will all shake out as the season goes on.
I am opposed for more than four teams because in the end the two best teams have matched up for the championship more often than not.
Participation invites are fine and a bit of fun for the NCAAA BB tournament but the FB championship is different in many ways.

It will all shake out as the season goes on.
I am opposed for more than four teams because in the end the two best teams have matched up for the championship more often than not.
Participation invites are fine and a bit of fun for the NCAAA BB tournament but the FB championship is different in many ways.
Why is it different? Just because ESPN controls the bowls and wants content for the network? Because that's really what it is.

In every other level of football, from high school to the NFL, there is a playoff system to determine the champion. Except the FBS, which might as well have a bunch of paid off boxing judges decide who gets into their "playoff" since it's just about as subjective.

Since it's obvious that the G5 teams will get screwed every time, it's time that they officially break away into a separate division with their own championship, because right now, they are playing for nothing.

Barta missing Iowa's days at being overrated, I guess.

The scale of weirdness of the CFP rankings is pretty well documented here:

[big list of whining]

That list doesn't move the needle much for me, and I really only have a few issues with the initial CFP rankings.

Major Issues
1. Alabama is too high. Shift them back to 6, shuffle everyone else up, and the main issue with these rankings is gone.

Moderate Issues
None

Minor Issues
1. Mississippi State and Minnesota are a few spots too high.
2. Houston and SMU should be in the 22-25 range.

Cinci is ranked #6 after beating the #10 team and a bunch of bad to mediocre teams... we were ranked #8 after beating the #4 team and a bunch of bad to mediocre teams in 2019. I will be shocked if they don't make it if they win out. They will add a home win over SMU and a neutral win over Houston while the teams above them play each other a couple times and have other opportunities to get tripped up.

Well, he has a point. Even if Cinci wins out, it will be a garbage resume' compared to the other top teams. A win over SMU and Houston (in the championship) would help a tiny bit. Close wins over teams like Tulane and Navy don't help.
If a G5 team want to get invited to the big dance they need wins over at least three P5 teams, preferably 4. They shouldn’t have played a MAC and FCS opponent if their goal was the CFP.

If only more teams had wins against currently undefeated teams they would get more respect in CFP

Top Bottom