Iowa AD / CFP Chairman goes full jerkface regarding Cincinnati's CFP ranking

Someone should tell him that the OSU team she has ranked right above Cincinnati also has only one win against a team in the CFP rankings, and that's us coming in 10 spots lower than the Notre Dame team that Cincinnati beat. So who else has OSU beat? A Penn State team that lost to Illinois?

Edit: Thanks to Slab of Bacon for catching me misattributing the quote to the Tweeter.

Last edited:

Someone should tell her that the OSU team she has ranked right above Cincinnati also has only one win against a team in the CFP rankings, and that's us coming in 10 spots lower than the Notre Dame team that Cincinnati beat. So who else has OSU beat? A Penn State team that lost to Illinois?
The person tweeting it didn't say that. Gary did.

Not a single thing about the Tweet was "jerk"-like. Just stating the truth.

Objective fact: Cincy does not deserve the playoff. If you're going to run the table, have some groceries on it.

Playing unranked P5 teams, especially on the road, is still significantly tougher and more tolling than playing unranked G5 teams.

Very happy to endorse Cincy/Houston/SMU (whoever wins the AAC this season) for a NY6 bowl, and wish them good luck.

That's what it's going to be.

It probably does not make any difference who is in the final four with GA.
From what I have seen of them so far they are easily the best college team in America and if they win the SEC just give them the national championship.

It probably does not make any difference who is in the final four with GA.
From what I have seen of them so far they are easily the best college team in America and if they win the SEC just give them the national championship.
All the more reason why if we win out, I hope like hell we get ranked #5 and go to the Rose Bowl. F the playoff this year. Would just be an embarrassment in the dumb Cotton Bowl.

I don't know if Cincinnati is one of the 4 best teams in the country, but I think these rankings pretty clearly show that a G5 team will NEVER get into the playoffs. I don't necessarily care since I root for a P5 team, but it's pretty disingenous of the committee to continue moving the goalposts on these G5 teams. I thought this article summed it up well: https://www.espn.com/college-footba...ngs-snub-cincinnati-group-5-simply-unbearable

This is what is so amazing about College Football. When you have 106 teams and a handful of "power schools" we really have no idea how good anyone is. If Georgia dominates the SEC is it because they are great or is it because the SEC is down compared to other years. Who have they beaten outside of the SEC, a Clemson team that is not that good. Who has the SEC beaten this year outside of the conference? Alabama beat Miami (FL) but they also are not great and Arkansas beat Texas. I am not saying the SEC isn't great. They show repeatedly that they can beat up on other competition in the playoffs with a de facto home game. I am just saying it is hard to tell how great any college team is until you get conference winners together. i think the 12 team playoff will be amazing for college football and can't wait till it arrives.

Who hates Iowa?

Cincinnati hates Iowa (and so do we).

Notre Dame's hasn't shown the best either this year despite being 7-1, so the win over them even seems a bit more glorified than it should be.

Someone should tell him that the OSU team she has ranked right above Cincinnati also has only one win against a team in the CFP rankings, and that's us coming in 10 spots lower than the Notre Dame team that Cincinnati beat. So who else has OSU beat? A Penn State team that lost to Illinois?

Edit: Thanks to Slab of Bacon for catching me misattributing the quote to the Tweeter.
Well, he has a point. Even if Cinci wins out, it will be a garbage resume' compared to the other top teams. A win over SMU and Houston (in the championship) would help a tiny bit. Close wins over teams like Tulane and Navy don't help.
They play SMU during the regular season too. SMU's loss really hurt Cinci. SMU was ranked #16.

This is what is so amazing about College Football. When you have 106 teams and a handful of "power schools" we really have no idea how good anyone is. If Georgia dominates the SEC is it because they are great or is it because the SEC is down compared to other years. Who have they beaten outside of the SEC, a Clemson team that is not that good. Who has the SEC beaten this year outside of the conference? Alabama beat Miami (FL) but they also are not great and Arkansas beat Texas. I am not saying the SEC isn't great. They show repeatedly that they can beat up on other competition in the playoffs with a de facto home game. I am just saying it is hard to tell how great any college team is until you get conference winners together. i think the 12 team playoff will be amazing for college football and can't wait till it arrives.
Not a fan of the 12 team playoff. Would mean byes, so essentially "play-in" games.

I don't know if Cincinnati is one of the 4 best teams in the country, but I think these rankings pretty clearly show that a G5 team will NEVER get into the playoffs.
With a four-team bracket ... that is correct, and should be correct.

The bracket will be expanded, then there will be one in.

They play SMU during the regular season too. SMU's loss really hurt Cinci. SMU was ranked #16.
Cincy will get to play Houston, in Cincy, for the AAC champ game.

That win will be as "worthless" as their win against SMU, also at home, will be for their "chances" of getting into the playoff.

TV will dictate the number of at-larges, and it will be, at least, equal to the number of auto-bids.

They're paying for it, so they get to dictate that.

Not a fan of the 12 team playoff. Would mean byes, so essentially "play-in" games.
Yea, but at least it would give more teams a chance instead of just the hyped ones. The 4 team playoff gives all of them a “bye” into the semi finals. Maybe make it just 8.

How would GHers feel about a Cincinnati Gopher bowl game?
Cincy will be in the NY6, and I don't see how we could make the NY6 without winning out and thus going to the Rose Bowl, which would then likely be against a P5 at least, if not a PAC team.

With a four-team bracket ... that is correct, and should be correct.

The bracket will be expanded, then there will be one in.
The only option is a team like BYU running the table. They are the only G5* that has the option to make it because of how they schedule. If Cincinnati were to have scheduled (just throwing names out here) -- Arizona State and Mississippi State in addition to ND and Indiana I think they would have a real shot. You have to go and beat P5 teams and run your conference slate when it's that weak.

Actually, looking at the PAC now - yikes. What a mess, behind Oregon. It's no surprise that there isn't another PAC team in the first CFP top 25.

So, assuming Oregon makes the CFP .... not sure who we'd potentially play in the Rose Bowl. But I'm pretty sure they would never take a G5, and degrade themselves like that.

I guess BYU could serve as the defacto replacement, if they get ranked in the top 10 or so.

Actually, looking at the PAC now - yikes. What a mess, behind Oregon. It's no surprise that there isn't another PAC team in the first CFP top 25.

So, assuming Oregon makes the CFP .... not sure who we'd potentially play in the Rose Bowl. But I'm pretty sure they would never take a G5, and degrade themselves like that.

I guess BYU could serve as the defacto replacement, if they get ranked in the top 10 or so.
I believe that Utah will win the Pac-12 south. They play Stanford, Arizona, and Colorado which they should win and then they have a home game against Oregon. If they go 3-1 they would make the title game against (presumably) Oregon. With another loss we'd be looking at an 8-5 Pac-12 runner up -- maybe the Rose Bowl takes a 9-3 ASU if they run the table.

tl;dr -- you're right that I don't know what good options there are for the Rose Bowl other than a two loss Oregon team.

p.s. I don't think the Rose can take anyone but a B1G and Pac-12 team.

I believe that Utah will win the Pac-12 south. They play Stanford, Arizona, and Colorado which they should win and then they have a home game against Oregon. If they go 3-1 they would make the title game against (presumably) Oregon. With another loss we'd be looking at an 8-5 Pac-12 runner up -- maybe the Rose Bowl takes a 9-3 ASU if they run the table.

tl;dr -- you're right that I don't know what good options there are for the Rose Bowl other than a two loss Oregon team.

p.s. I don't think the Rose can take anyone but a B1G and Pac-12 team.
I think you're right. I forgot that Rose, Sugar, and Orange are "contract bowls" and therefore I think they can take teams outside the top 12 in the CFP rankings.

Just kinda crazy that it could legit be a team outside the top 25 rankings(!). Not sure if that has ever happened in CFP history.

They'll probably find a way to rank the runner-up to Oregon in the top 25, at least.

Yeah, so looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year's_Six#History_and_schedule

and if you exclude last year for being what it was, then the lowest ranked team to ever play in the NY6 was for the 2019 season when the Orange Bowl had to take ACC 2nd place Virginia. They got crushed by Clemson to go 9-4 into the bowl game. Committee still found a way to rank them #24 in the final rankings.

I think you're right. I forgot that Rose, Sugar, and Orange are "contract bowls" and therefore I think they can take teams outside the top 12 in the CFP rankings.

Just kinda crazy that it could legit be a team outside the top 25 rankings(!). Not sure if that has ever happened in CFP history.

They'll probably find a way to rank the runner-up to Oregon in the top 25, at least.
It hasn't because the Pac-12 has only made the playoff once 😆 . The Wisconsin team that went 8-5 and made the Rose Bowl due to sanctions on PSU and OSU wasn't ranked in the AP but was 23 in the coaches before they lost to Stanford.

Below is a list of all the unbeatens:

1. Georgia
3. Michigan State
6. Cincinnati
8. Oklahoma
9. Wake Forest
NR: UTSA

I think the unbeatens are positioned in the right order, even if you don’t agree with the ranking. I also think it shows a healthy respect for Cinci that they are ahead of undefeated ACC and Big 12 teams. If Cinci should be insulted by their #6 rank, then how should Oklahoma and Wake Forest feel?

Top Bottom