Iowa AD / CFP Chairman goes full jerkface regarding Cincinnati's CFP ranking

Using my formula, which gives auto-bids to all ten conference champions, like is done in almost every other D1 sport... If the season ended today (I'm going to speculate on who would win the conference title games) this is how it would end up. I would also limit it to three teams per conference - I'd wanted to limit it to two, but that's not realistic now that I look at it.

Georgia - SEC
Michigan State - Big Ten
Wake Forest - ACC
Oklahoma - Big 12
Oregon - Pac 12
Cincinnati - AAC
UTSA - CUSA
Coastal Carolina - Sun Belt
Fresno State - MWC
Northern Illinois - MAC

That's ten. Now you get the six at large:
Alabama
Ohio State
Michigan
OK State
Notre Dame
Baylor

It's not that hard.

It's not that hard.
Difference of opinion, so I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but assuming it's #1 vs #16, etc. I just can't get excited about watching Georgia vs. Northern Illinois in a top bowl game. Would not carve out time to make sure I watched it.

Difference of opinion, so I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but assuming it's #1 vs #16, etc. I just can't get excited about watching Georgia vs. Northern Illinois in a top bowl game. Would not carve out time to make sure I watched it.
Oh, I agree that NIU would be a terrible team to have in a playoff. And this could happen any year. But at least it creates a similar system to hoops, and if you figure that this season the top six conference champions, as well as all the at large teams could realistically win the title, it's a better system than today, at least in my opinon.

And the occasional upset would be fun. What, you couldn't beat Coastal in your playoff game? Guess you don't deserve to be champion anyway.

As for viewership. People will watch. Even the most horrible bowl games get decent viewership.

Oh, I agree that NIU would be a terrible team to have in a playoff. And this could happen any year. But at least it creates a similar system to hoops, and if you figure that this season the top six conference champions, as well as all the at large teams could realistically win the title, it's a better system than today, at least in my opinon.

And the occasional upset would be fun. What, you couldn't beat Coastal in your playoff game? Guess you don't deserve to be champion anyway.

As for viewership. People will watch. Even the most horrible bowl games get decent viewership.
Totally get your point of view. I'm just on the other side. I like treating the entire season as a "playoff system", you earn a spot at the big kids table with your season and CCG, then you have the opportunity to prove that you belong.

No big deal, I don't get a vote, and I'll just live with whatever system we get.

People love to point to the mens colleg basketball tournament. But it has mostly been a disaster for everyone (except, of course, the NCAA).

There was actually a time college basketball rivaled college football in popularity. That is no more. The CFP has twice as many viewers. And regular season ratings crush basketball.

Why imitate failure?

People love to point to the mens colleg basketball tournament. But it has mostly been a disaster for everyone (except, of course, the NCAA).

There was actually a time college basketball rivaled college football in popularity. That is no more. The CFP has twice as many viewers. And regular season ratings crush basketball.

Why imitate failure?
That's not the tournament's fault. It's the one or two and done culture where guys turn pro after their freshman and sophomore years. It used to be fans would follow the careers of guys for 3-4 years in college, and that simply doesn't happen anymore. Some guys are skipping college altogether to play overseas.

This is a great article on the topic.

That's not the tournament's fault. It's the one or two and done culture where guys turn pro after their freshman and sophomore years. It used to be fans would follow the careers of guys for 3-4 years in college, and that simply doesn't happen anymore. Some guys are skipping college altogether to play overseas.

This is a great article on the topic.
I also think increased number of Div 1 teams has caused a decline in viewers. Last year there were 353 mens teams. This dilutes the major conferences talent and that is where the viewers and money are. I don’t know what the best number of teams is, but I guess it’s less than half of what there are.

I also think increased number of Div 1 teams has caused a decline in viewers. Last year there were 353 mens teams. This dilutes the major conferences talent and that is where the viewers and money are. I don’t know what the best number of teams is, but I guess it’s less than half of what there are.
And this is what is already happening in FBS football now (with only a four team playoff and one G5 in a New Year’s 6 bowl).

Apparently ESPN GameDay is at Cincinnati tomorrow, and the fans are already unruly. I can't imagine why.

100%.

Playing a G5 in a bowl game is the same problem for P5 as playing them in non-conf: if you win, you were supposed to, if you lose, it's an upset.
What a complete losers mentality. Have a spine man.

I diots O ut W andering A round. IWOA, LoL. At least we can spell and have a recognizable School Song, nobody rembers the Iowa fight song not even there own fans.

Apparently ESPN GameDay is at Cincinnati tomorrow, and the fans are already unruly. I can't imagine why.
Gotta get fired up for Tulsa!
That win will certainly PROVE they’ve surpassed Ohio State for good! :ROFLMAO:

What plays better in the press and to casual fans on January 2nd, 2022:

Gophers Defeat Top 10 Notre Dame 35-14
Gophers Defeat Top 10 Cincinnati 35-14

Which one will be more memorable to fans in the future?
This is 100%, objectively correct.

Doesn't matter in the slightest if Cinci is #6 and ND is #10.

Almost every Gopher fan picks Notre Dame, every day and twice on Sunday. And that is the correct choice.

Can you imagine if it somehow worked out to say, play Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl, both top 10 ranked, and solidly beat them after running the table, beating both Iowa and Wisc, and beating Ohio St or Mich St in Indy?

Season would be right up there with any of the 1960's years, think it's safe to say.

Top Bottom