Illinois QB Chris Streveler a Gopher commit

Stan

Reaction score
Looks like he committed to Gophers over a South Dakota State offer. Welcome aboard.

kill must have been impressed to offer him at camp. another diamond in the rough. kill will coach 'em up. i love this class already. i love the direction and type of kids kill is bringing in.

Looks bigger than his listed size. His throwing style is almost identical to Joe Namath's. It's bizarre.

Some quotes regarding his performance at the Army Junior Combine a few months back:
"Chris streveler is a big strong QB that looked great running his 40"- Barton Simmons 247sports
"2013 QB Chris Streveler (Marian Central Catholic in Illinois) moved well running his 40. Good looking kid on the hoof"- Gerry Hamilton 247sports

kill must have been impressed to offer him at camp. another diamond in the rough. kill will coach 'em up. i love this class already. i love the direction and type of kids kill is bringing in.

Are you kidding? We're supposed to be selective during this recruiting class since we only have 14 scholarships, and you're thrilled with a QB that only has an offer from SDSU? Hopefully he was recruited as a TE or WR.

This one is a little puzzling. His throwing mechanics will need some work. In Kill I trust though. Welcome aboard!

popeyoung5 said:
Looks great but what's his 40 time? :)

Here we go.....4.4 hand timed and 4.9 on the clock. 6.0 if DPODOLL69 times him.

Are you kidding? We're supposed to be selective during this recruiting class since we only have 14 scholarships, and you're thrilled with a QB that only has an offer from SDSU? Hopefully he was recruited as a TE or WR.

Coach Kill and the staff evaluated him at camp. They probably saw he was offer worthy and the best quarterback at the camp. Knowing that Streveler liked the Gophers a lot and he would probably accept a scholarship immediately, the staff probably then discussed if they were positive that they wanted him to be their QB for the class of 2013. After a unanimous agreement, they offered Streveler.

A situation similar to the above^ is probably what happened. Coaches don't just offer a quarterback without quite a bit of evaluation and discussion, especially during a year when only 14 scholarships are available.

He does look a bit more impressive in this video.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ye-30EQ8G1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SDSU and Western Michigan are pissed.

Seriously, though, looks like a nice athlete with a good arm.

Hey John. How many time have you seen this kid play or even evaluated him at camp? Kill wants him and thats is good enough for me. JERRY, JERRY, JERRY!!!!!!!!!!

He does look a bit more impressive in this video.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ye-30EQ8G1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the 1:30 mark he is outrunning 2012 Nebraska commit Jordan Westerkamp for a TD.

I didn't like this commitment at first, but he does have very impressive speed for a QB and could be coached up to be a quality QB in Limegrovers system.

Go4 said:

I hope Kill has 50 coaches on his staff with all the recruits he is getting who need to be coached up to contribute.

I hope Kill has 50 coaches on his staff with all the recruits he is getting who need to be coached up to contribute.

I think every player needs to be coached up to contribute. I doubt Kill actually thinks that all of these players are projects.

Agreed! We are the University of Minnesota. We should be getting big names. I would feel better if he was thinking about going to USC, OSU, or FSU. We are suppose to be happy because we took somebody away from SDSU? Oh weary me... Has the bar been set extremely low or is it just me?

At the 1:30 mark he is outrunning 2012 Nebraska commit Jordan Westerkamp for a TD.

I didn't like this commitment at first, but he does have very impressive speed for a QB and could be coached up to be a quality QB in Limegrovers system.

He looks a lot more impressive in this video and definitely has some wheels, there's no question about that. Still, it has to be somewhat concerning that a player who attended camp at Pittsburgh, Northern Illinois, and Eastern Michigan and didn't receive an offer from any of those schools is our lone QB recruit.

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=8&c=1&nid=6047073

Guys, it is what it is. The one tape looks pretty good. His throwing mechanics are not the best, but he looks like a good athlete with some speed. Not ranked as yet by Rivals; carries a 2 star ranking from Scout. He did extremely well at camp and the coaches think he is a "player". Bottom line is high 3 and 4 and 5 star players wanting to become Gophers at this stage is a pipe dream. At this point we need to trust Kill and his staff

Kill's record in 3 seasons at NIU against B1G teams was as good or better than any Gopher coach in half a century. He will be our best coach in 50 years before he is done. Trust his recruiting.

Streveler might not be a great QB recruit overall but he's a great fit for Coach Kill's system. Like it or not, Coach will succeed or fail his way, which means he'll recruit to his system stars be damned. After all the flipfloping with Brewster it's nice to see the plan unfold. Keep in mind, that Coach Kill runs a very similar program to TCU, which won dispite not having great recruiting classes. Once the winning starts the recruiting will improve.

He looks a lot more impressive in this video and definitely has some wheels, there's no question about that. Still, it has to be somewhat concerning that a player who attended camp at Pittsburgh, Northern Illinois, and Eastern Michigan and didn't receive an offer from any of those schools is our lone QB recruit.

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=8&c=1&nid=6047073

Unless, of course, those other programs did not think he fit their system. Kill needs a mobile QB who can pass AND run. They must think he has a feel for the passing game and can work on his mechanics. At this point I have no choice but to trust Kill's judgement as others have also indicated.

Just throwing this out there to possibly help people cope.

Iowa's 2013 QB is a 2 star on scout with 1 other offer from Lamar. So that is a Big Ten team who took a QB with similar credentials earlier than the gophers.

Admittedly, I don't have any specific info, but this sounds to me like a case where Kill liked his athleticism, attitude and make-up. He can take a shot at QB and, if that doesn't work out, Kill probably believes he can fill another need they have. We've already seen this staff do this with other QBs that are buried on the depth chart. He won't likely playing for 2-3 years, so there's time to figure it out.

I agree with those that say we need to trust that Kill and his staff have a plan. There's evidence to suggest he knows what he is doing.

Go Gophers!

Here's the link to an interesting and informative article that was in the Chicago Tribune last November during the Illinois HS play-offs. I'll go along with our coaching staff on this guy. Streveler could be an absolute stud by the time he is 20 years old. He's only 17 now and I'll trust our coaches to recognize his potential for future development.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ral-montini-coach-chris-andriano-scott-stochl

Also, here's a link to his profile at the recruiting service that apparently did the above videos.

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-...central-catholic-high-school1/chris-streveler

Here's the link to an interesting and informative article that was in the Chicago Tribune last November during the Illinois HS play-offs. I'll go along with our coaching staff on this guy. Streveler could be an absolute stud by the time he is 20 years old. He's only 17 now and I'll trust our coaches to recognize his potential for future development.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ral-montini-coach-chris-andriano-scott-stochl

Also, here's a link to his profile at the recruiting service that apparently did the above videos.

http://www.ncsasports.org/football-...central-catholic-high-school1/chris-streveler

Good info and I understand the kid could turn out and be really good.

However, it seems like we are going backwards in the recruiting catagory.

...Marian Central coach Ed Brucker uses a two-word phrase to describe his team's quarterback, Chris Streveler.

"The team just believes in him," Brucker said. "His leadership ability, he has the charisma, the 'it factor,' and everybody just follows him."

But Streveler didn't exhibit that intangible necessary for a championship-level quarterback until a 47-41 comeback victory at Oswego in Week 1. Trailing by 23 points with five minutes left in the third quarter, Streveler helped the Hurricanes reel off 29 consecutive points. He accounted for six touchdowns, 174 yards passing and 151 yards rushing...

Kill is going to recruit at least one QB every year. Streveler is the right guy at the right time. Good enough for me.

Top Bottom