Hot Music Takes!

In Utero is better than Nevermind.

If there was bracket for commercial tv jingles i think Kit Kat and Folgers are in the final four.

Let's get this back on track.

Hot take: I'll take Pert Near Sandstone over Trampled By Turtles every day and twice on Sunday.
Well, I do think Pert Near Sandstone edges Trampled By Turtles in a dumb band name contest.

Hot take: OK Go makes the coolest music videos and also launched the Rube-Goldberg revival.

Nokomis...buddy...this take has icicles hanging off it. They are so well know for their videos they were featured on one of the super not cool talk shows like CBS Sunday Morning.

Nokomis...buddy...this take has icicles hanging off it. They are so well know for their videos they were featured on one of the super not cool talk shows like CBS Sunday Morning.
Yeah, my main point was to give a shout out to Feist but couldn't call hers the coolest knowing OK Go was out there. So I added the quip about Rube-Goldberg machines and got Feist in there as runnerup.

Blue Òyster Cult was the best hard rock band of the 70's. Less long slogs than Zeppelin, more musically creative that Aerosmith and a unique blend of creepy, ironic and psychedelic. Plus Buck Dharma is the most casually amazing soloist.

Steely Dan's last album, Gaucho, turned 40 over the weekend.

Hot take: It's their best album.

As for top Boston bands, my top 3 in a contest among equals...

1. Buffalo Tom
2. The Lemonheads
3. Dinosaur Jr

Great songs I always enjoy live:

1. Buffalo Tom - Velvet Roof. Especially great at 1st Ave

2. The Lemonheads - Confetti. How much fun does this look like? Not a much social distancing.

3. Dinosaur Jr - The Wagon. I was skeptical when Lou rejoined, that it would amount to anything, but the shows (and albums) have been quite enjoyable.

Hot take: Mitch Mitchell is the best rock & roll drummer of all time.

First off......my vote goes to Jimmy Chamberlin. Second....does Dave Grohl get any consideration? Finally.....Danny Carey.

Oh....and hot music take. Outside of their "hit" songs....Creedence Clearwater Revival is basically unlistenable. So much hot garbage. Seriously incredible that they put out that many recognizable songs....yet also manage to be one of the worst things recorded at the same time.

I don't know if this is a "hot take."

But I really like the band Rush - despite the fact that on about 90% of their songs, I have no freakin' idea what the lyrics are about.

I mean, c'mon - "Bytor and the Snow Dog," - what the bleep is that about? No idea. but I like the way it sounds.

there are certainly a lot of groups and solo performers where the lyrics are really important to appreciating the song. but with some groups, at least for me, just the sound of the group is enough.

Robert Plant could be singing in a foreign language, and Led Zep would still be Led Zep. And now I'm going to have the riff from "Kashmir" playing in my head all morning......

I don't know if this is a "hot take."

But I really like the band Rush - despite the fact that on about 90% of their songs, I have no freakin' idea what the lyrics are about.

I mean, c'mon - "Bytor and the Snow Dog," - what the bleep is that about? No idea. but I like the way it sounds.

there are certainly a lot of groups and solo performers where the lyrics are really important to appreciating the song. but with some groups, at least for me, just the sound of the group is enough.

Robert Plant could be singing in a foreign language, and Led Zep would still be Led Zep. And now I'm going to have the riff from "Kashmir" playing in my head all morning......
I recall Elvis Costello talking about when he was first breaking into the scene. He said at the time everyone was writing songs about wizards & dragons and that he just couldn't relate. I took it as a not-so subtle dig at Zeppelin & Rush, which gave me a chuckle.

Last edited:

I recall Elvis Costello talking about when he was first breaking into the scene. He said at the time everyone was writing songs about wizards & dragons and that he just couldn't relate. I took it as a not-so subtle dig at Zeppelin & Rush, which gave me a chuckle.
No one was better at the whole wizards, etc. than Yes was. 1606758424311.jpeg

In Utero is better than Nevermind.

This is a hot take indeed. I don't agree with it.....but since both albums are great....I can see it. Kind of like picking between Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie or Make Yourself and Morning View.

I take Nevermind, Siamese Dream, and Make Yourself....btw.

This is a hot take indeed. I don't agree with it.....but since both albums are great....I can see it. Kind of like picking between Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie or Make Yourself and Morning View.

I take Nevermind, Siamese Dream, and Make Yourself....btw.

Gish

Interesting. Another great album.

To clarify, I personally don't think Gish is quite as good as Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie but a friend of mine who I have gone to several Pumpkins shows with thinks it's their best album. Siva is probably in my top 3 songs in their catalog along with Drown and 1979.

I'll go Siamese Dream as their best, but it's pretty close.

To clarify, I personally don't think Gish is quite as good as Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie but a friend of mine who I have gone to several Pumpkins shows with thinks it's their best album. Siva is probably in my top 3 songs in their catalog along with Drown and 1979.

I'll go Siamese Dream as their best, but it's pretty close.

Definitely lean Siamese Dream....but I wouldn't fault anyone for picking Gish or Mellon Collie.

And their concert at the Target Center a couple of years ago was amazing. And Metric (another really good band) opened!

First off......my vote goes to Jimmy Chamberlin. Second....does Dave Grohl get any consideration? Finally.....Danny Carey.

Certainly Dave Grohl deserves consideration.

Cut from the same cloth is Jon Wurster who if he's not the best is among the most versatile, Most known for Superchunk he can certainly brings the rhythm and fury but can also do alt-country quite well (the Mountain Goats). He has a solid run playing in the Bob Mould Band.

Here are both Dave and Jon playing with Mould:

Certainly Dave Grohl deserves consideration.

Cut from the same cloth is Jon Wurster who if he's not the best is among the most versatile, Most known for Superchunk he can certainly brings the rhythm and fury but can also do alt-country quite well (the Mountain Goats). He has a solid run playing in the Bob Mould Band.

Here are both Dave and Jon playing with Mould:

Bob Mould assisted on Dear Rosemary on the album Wasting Light. My favourite song on that album.

Top Bottom