Hot Music Takes!

that doesnt do it for me. thousands of poor black and appalachian musicians would be geniuses.

i am not against you original claim, i just dont know jack black very well. give me some good representations of his work.

Mid ‘90s post-grunge rock is the most overlooked and underrated era of the rock & roll era. While most of these bands had a very short shelf life (Gin Blossoms, Everclear, The Lemonheads are first three that come to mind this morning), they produced some great music that still sounds fresh today. I honestly can’t recall what swept these type of bands from the mainstream-MTV’s shift away from videos perhaps? ITunes arrival and the focus on singles? Whatever the case, the music deserves attention.
the popularization of rap. in the mid 90's many of my non-black friends were driving around in two wheeled drive trucks with flowmaster exhaust and 12 inch subwoofers behind the seats listening to eazy-e, dr. dre and tupac. death row records took rap from socially unacceptable to something akin to the rebelliousness of rock and roll in the late 50s.

rock never really recovered. while there were some great emo and post hardcore bands, they never achieved the greatness of rock and rollers of 60s-90s achieved.

country western bad boys in the 60s and 70s went harder than rock and roll bad boys.

that doesnt do it for me. thousands of poor black and appalachian musicians would be geniuses.

i am not against you original claim, i just dont know jack black very well. give me some good representations of his work.
I didn't say they weren't. I said Jack White is the greatest. I submit to you my Jack White dissertation.

Jack White is a purist and originalist. Here is the trailer for the documentary he did on American roots music.

He celebrates & honors music's past, builds on it, and produces something fresh. For example, here he is with Wanda Jackson promoting the record they did together.

Jack White is a musical chameleon, comfortable collaborating with a variety of artists and genres, including people like Beyonce. Here he is with Alicia Keys.

Rock & country are obviously his forte. Here he is teaching Jimmy Page and The Edge 'Seven Nation Army'. Not that this song is difficult - it's the first song my son learned on guitar. But he holds the attention and respect of these icons.

Jack White has been a big part of the vinyl revival with his Third Man Records label, which promotes American roots artists along side new up & comers. I've been to the Nashville storefront. It's part record store, part museum. Here's a story CBS did on it.

So it's not just his music, though that is fantastic. It's everything he does to celebrate and preserve music.

I didn't say they weren't. I said Jack White is the greatest. I submit to you my Jack White dissertation.

Jack White is a purist and originalist. Here is the trailer for the documentary he did on American roots music.

He celebrates & honors music's past, builds on it, and produces something fresh. For example, here he is with Wanda Jackson promoting the record they did together.

Jack White is a musical chameleon, comfortable collaborating with a variety of artists and genres, including people like Beyonce. Here he is with Alicia Keys.

Rock & country are obviously his forte. Here he is teaching Jimmy Page and The Edge 'Seven Nation Army'. Not that this song is difficult - it's the first song my son learned on guitar. But he holds the attention and respect of these icons.

Jack White has been a big part of the vinyl revival with his Third Man Records label, which promotes American roots artists along side new up & comers. I've been to the Nashville storefront. It's part record store, part museum. Here's a story CBS did on it.

So it's not just his music, though that is fantastic. It's everything he does to celebrate and preserve music.
Except his petty feud with the Black Keys leader, Dan Auerbach.

Mid ‘90s post-grunge rock is the most overlooked and underrated era of the rock & roll era. While most of these bands had a very short shelf life (Gin Blossoms, Everclear, The Lemonheads are first three that come to mind this morning), they produced some great music that still sounds fresh today. I honestly can’t recall what swept these type of bands from the mainstream-MTV’s shift away from videos perhaps? ITunes arrival and the focus on singles? Whatever the case, the music deserves attention.

I get why you included the Lemonheads, but I think they different than the Gin Blossoms & Everclear as far as a longer shelf life. No doubt It's a Shame About Ray pushed them to the mainstream, but they had several respectable albums both before and after. The band really isn't a "them", but just a vehicle for Evan Dando for 2 more than a decade now, but that's besides the point.

He still can fill clubs as big as First Ave and while he'll play 3 or 4 songs from Ray, the other 80% of the show will feature songs just as recognizable and fans enjoy just as much. I am taking too long to essentially say, not a "one-trick-pony" so to speak, no disrespect to Gin Blossoms or Everclear/Art Alexakis.

As for top Boston bands, my top 3 in a contest among equals...

1. Buffalo Tom
2. The Lemonheads
3. Dinosaur Jr

Except his petty feud with the Black Keys leader, Dan Auerbach.
giphy.gif

Here's my Hot Take, Evan Dando's solo record Baby I'm Bored is a better album than anything he did with the Lemonheads.

Here's my Hot Take, Evan Dando's solo record Baby I'm Bored is a better album than anything he did with the Lemonheads.
Hot take: Best Lemonheads song = If I could Talk. Isn't about drugs (I think) and makes no sense at all.

Hot Lemonheads take: Where in the history of pop/rock music other than the back side of Abbey Road do you have 4 bangers like this lined up in a row?

Hot take: Best Lemonheads song = If I could Talk. Isn't about drugs (I think) and makes no sense at all.

Also a Hot Take, as it was not a single or got much radio play...Hannah and Gabi is my vote for best. I love the slide guitar.

Also a Hot Take, as it was not a single or got much radio play...Hannah and Gabi is my vote for best. I love the slide guitar.

I listened to three Lemonhead albums today.

I get why you included the Lemonheads, but I think they different than the Gin Blossoms & Everclear as far as a longer shelf life. No doubt It's a Shame About Ray pushed them to the mainstream, but they had several respectable albums both before and after. The band really isn't a "them", but just a vehicle for Evan Dando for 2 more than a decade now, but that's besides the point.

He still can fill clubs as big as First Ave and while he'll play 3 or 4 songs from Ray, the other 80% of the show will feature songs just as recognizable and fans enjoy just as much. I am taking too long to essentially say, not a "one-trick-pony" so to speak, no disrespect to Gin Blossoms or Everclear/Art Alexakis.

As for top Boston bands, my top 3 in a contest among equals...

1. Buffalo Tom
2. The Lemonheads
3. Dinosaur Jr
I love the Lemonheads, but I think you are severely underrating Everclear. They put many good records.

I love the Lemonheads, but I think you are severely underrating Everclear. They put many good records.

First off, Sparkle and Fade is just flat out great. I saw Everclear multiple times while supporting it and enjoyed them. As for anything after that, I will have to take your word for it, because I can't name any songs or albums, which is my whole point. They just didn't get much traction.

Conversely, Lemonheads fans chimed in with favorites and classics from 3 albums in short order.

As a uniter not a divider, I will check out some other Everclear work. I did see Alexikas solo opening for someone at 1st Ave in the '00s, I remember liking the stuff I wasn't familiar with, plus he's a solid DJ/host when I hear him on Sirius/XM.

So there, take that.😉

Top Bottom