Home loss to a poor Summit League team in year 3

Can we have a devoted coach evaluation thread? 'All Things Hiring and Firing'? How about a 'What I Wish Would Have Happened' thread?

NT could have fired the HOF coach after the 2011-12 season. February 26, 2012 was one of most embarrassing efforts by the Gophers in a 19 point home court loss to Indiana. The program had no life whatsoever. Tubby may have saved his job with a NIT run that year. 2012-13 had the team all the way up to #8 in the country only to lose 10 out of the next 15 conference games during another February collapse which probably is what cost him his job.

Whether Pitino was the right hire remains to be seen but firing Tubby wasn't the wrong thing to do.

Like may have said, time will tell. I honestly think that he raised the bar here so far up that ended up to his dismissal.

Like may have said, time will tell.
No, time will not tell. Its over. I feel like when I hang out with a friend who just can't get over a relationship. If only, if only, this new person isn't as wonderful as I was, etc.
Its over. Move on.

I don't wish him to be fired. I only wish that Tubby would have had 2 more years here.

I'm glad to see the first part of this, hopefully other people (dpo) will believe that too. The second part of this: We understand you wished for him to have more time... Some people agree with you (I said he should have gotten 1 more year, but I don't dwell on it) while others don't agree and say enough was enough. Fact is Tubby was fired, we can't change that. Let's move on and support our current coach and team a little better. Stop being a grumpy old man and look to the future not wishing we could change the past (this last comment goes to a lot of people on this board).

I can't believe I somehow missed this gem. You've really raised the standard here. Not only is this completely false, I honestly can't imagine any other fan possibly agreeing with your first statement. I can't tell if this is one of the times you're arguing something you don't believe because for some reason you think it strengthens your argument--it's just too weird and irrational to think anyone could actually believe it.

The irony and hypocrisy in your last statement is priceless coming from the guy who constantly tries to convince us that only tournament APPEARANCES matter. News flash: everyone can see through your BS.

He's amazingly adept at trying to convince himself that he's correct when the rest of world knows he's an absolute idiot. I've been reading his crap for years on this message board and I simply can't let it go any further. Quite simply, dpodoll is the most delusional and self-absorbed poster on here.

He's amazingly adept at trying to convince himself that he's correct when the rest of world knows he's an absolute idiot. I've been reading his crap for years on this message board and I simply can't let it go any further. Quite simply, dpodoll is the most delusional and self-absorbed poster on here.

Good job. Way to contribute to the conversation and not just sling insults. You should be proud of yourself.

Good job. Way to contribute to the conversation and not just sling insults. You should be proud of yourself.

Hilarious....poor dpodoll....slinging your self-righteous crap on this board week in and week out with no regard for other people's opinions in your condescending, "know it all" tone. YOUR contributions to this board? Nothing but divisiveness and contempt. I've been reading/posting to this web site for over 20 years since Jason got it all started and you're a larger Gopher troll than any red skunk or pig farmer that's ever visited here. You don't promote the Gopher family or programs....you promote yourself and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here tired of your crap.

I'm glad to see the first part of this, hopefully other people (dpo) will believe that too. The second part of this: We understand you wished for him to have more time... Some people agree with you (I said he should have gotten 1 more year, but I don't dwell on it) while others don't agree and say enough was enough. Fact is Tubby was fired, we can't change that. Let's move on and support our current coach and team a little better. Stop being a grumpy old man and look to the future not wishing we could change the past (this last comment goes to a lot of people on this board).

Right on and sure I will. Just can't help it when I watch TT games and wonder why we lost that. As you said nothing will be changed so I won't get worked up any more (I try).

Go Gophers

Hilarious....poor dpodoll....slinging your self-righteous crap on this board week in and week out with no regard for other people's opinions in your condescending, "know it all" tone. YOUR contributions to this board? Nothing but divisiveness and contempt. I've been reading/posting to this web site for over 20 years since Jason got it all started and you're a larger Gopher troll than any red skunk or pig farmer that's ever visited here. You don't promote the Gopher family or programs....you promote yourself and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here tired of your crap.

Once again, good job adding something to the discussion. Personal insults are the best and most insightful form of message board communication.

I think this issue needs to be addressed (not to beat a dead horse); Right before TT vs Gopher game, Tubby mentioned that he was recruiting King. Therefore, King was coming here no matter what. Secondly, Tubby did not push Mo to lose weight because he just had his knee surgery. I know Mo said something about Richard being the motivator but I think Tubby would have done the same thing. If you don't agree, look at TT center who lost tons of weight last summer. About little Dre, I say that was a good recruit only for that season. He disappeared last year. I am not comparing the coaches in this regard. In fact, if one of the key Gophers does get injured this year, I will give Richard a break since it happened during Tubby's time too. I am 100% positive that a player or two will transfer after this season. Richard will get nervous and will run people off the program. I will give him a break in that regard too. I don't wish him to be fired. I only wish that Tubby would have had 2 more years here. He would have had a very good class last year. Unfortunately, NT tried to make a name for himself by firing a HOF coach. Some of the people on this board got what they wished for.

What are you saying? That if he stuck around, his 2015 recruiting class would have been very good?

What are you saying? That if he stuck around, his 2015 recruiting class would have been very good?

I was thinking the other day that this probably would have been the year that Glen Mason brought in a very good defensive recruiting class. But unfortunately he was fired nearly 10 years ago.

Sweet Jesus.

My feelings exactly. The way some folks talk on here, you would have thought Tubby brought unfettered glory to the basketball program.

My feelings exactly. The way some folks talk on here, you would have thought Tubby brought unfettered glory to the basketball program.

I don't recall seeing anyone saying that anywhere. I can't speak for others, but as for myself, I personally prefer it when the Gophers play in the NCAA Tournament as opposed to when they don't play in the NCAA Tournament.

I don't recall seeing anyone saying that anywhere. I can't speak for others, but as for myself, I personally prefer it when the Gophers play in the NCAA Tournament as opposed to when they don't play in the NCAA Tournament.

Funny, seems this whole thread is based on you speaking for others. After all, this is what everyone wished for, isn't it?

True on any given day the gophers could beat them, but IMO in terms of long term success having those proven difference makers should put Wisconsin in the middle of the pack for the conference

This isn't going to go over too big, but Wisconsin probably has a better freshmen class also if Happ (red shirt freshman) is included. At least thus far.

I was thinking the other day that this probably would have been the year that Glen Mason brought in a very good defensive recruiting class. But unfortunately he was fired nearly 10 years ago.

I used to like reading your posts but these days I see you in the category or Dr. Don and Station 19. It is not a compliment by the way.

Very good post, golfing, as usual. IMHO, winning a round-of-64 game in the NCAA's is hardly a run. As success starved as we've been around here recently, we still know what an NCAA run feels like, and that's not it. If that's all you have to show for 6 years at that salary and with those expectations, you can't expect to be secure in your job. Likewise, if that's all Pitino has to show after 6 years, with the highly-ranked players he's recruited and presumably will continue to recruit, he shouldn't be secure at that juncture either.

It's appropriate to be questioning his performance at this time, even though he has a young, rebuilt roster. I have to give him until midway through the conference schedule, at which time I expect to see marked improvement and better cohesion. If we don't, you have to scrutinize his coaching. Not to always talk about the Grinch, but let's be honest here: Bo has far less talent on his roster than this year's Gopher team, and it showed early in their home loss, but they just trounced a Temple team that the Gophs struggled against. There's little question at this point that they'll finish ahead of us in the conference record. South Dakota reminded me a little of Wisconsin - excellent position defense that, despite a lack of quickness and athleticism, allowed the Gophers very few easy baskets or good looks from the perimeter.

The disquieting thing about Pitino so far - and I'm not the first to note it - is the inability to implement his offensive and defensive schemes, particularly full-court pressure defense and fast-break offense. (In contrast, Marlene Stollings had her team playing her schemes well in their first game under her.) Richard may indeed have a deep understanding of exactly how to play full-court D, but teaching such a thing is another matter. How much do his assistant coaches teach, and how good are they at it? How well does he delegate coaching to them? Or does he even have a thorough enough understanding of the offense and defense he wants to see that he's able to teach it? I find this somewhat Monson-esque - Dan hired Mike Peterson to coach his offense, and I think he wanted to run the same flow-tion offense they ran at Gonzaga, but he lacked the understanding of it that Mark Few had. Peterson did the best he could, but he was no Few.

I'm with those who say that, although there are exceptions, it's rare for a coach to come into head coaching fully formed. It's best to cut your teeth at a lower level than the best and best coached conference in the nation.

+1 I don't know that I had come to this conclusion before, but you are absolutely right. I think we saw more of an effort to implement his vision in year one than year three. Highly subjective, I suppose. But I agree with your post here.

+1 I don't know that I had come to this conclusion before, but you are absolutely right. I think we saw more of an effort to implement his vision in year one than year three. Highly subjective, I suppose. But I agree with your post here.

You and Bad Gopher are +1ing each other quite a bit. What's going on between you two?

You and Bad Gopher are +1ing each other quite a bit. What's going on between you two?

hey Ray....I thought about highlighting his first comment in his post. Would that have been too much?

I do generally find his posts insightful and lacking the snarkiness of so many posts on here, but I don't need to share a room with him.

I dont know bout anyone else but i neber wish ed for a home loss to a summit league team in year three for the gophers no matter who the coach is.

This isn't going to go over too big, but Wisconsin probably has a better freshmen class also if Happ (red shirt freshman) is included. At least thus far.

I think it's a wash, Pritzel and Ilk could be good players, same with Happ, but the rest are just filler. Dorsey and Murphy are aleady making an impact and even Mcbrayer plays well on defense. It'll be interesting to see what they do for 2016. With the Bo ryan retirement rumors and who will replace him etc. Be fun to follow Murphy and Dorsey vs Pritzel and Ilk

Top Bottom