Hawkeye nation

I would absolutely take a Rose Bowl trip, even if it meant getting crushed like Iowa did. Illinois got to Pasadena eight years ago and was steamrolled by USC -- again, I would take it. The Rose Bowl experience, to me, is about more than the result of the game. I can't say that about any other bowl, except maybe the playoffs. And even then, part of me would be disappointed it wasn't Pasadena.

Iowa, to their credit, took advantage of their schedule and built a season that was Rose Bowl worthy, despite actually having a team that was Tax Slayer worthy.

They lucked out with their cross over games. They survived Iowa State. They beat a mediocre Pitt team on a long field goal. They tackle-blocked their way to a tight victory at home against the Gophers. They were lucky and they were just good enough to survive their easy schedule. As others have said, their Rose Bowl result was simple odds catching up with them, and probably predictable when you consider they were the B1G's 4th best team playing the best team from the Pac12.

Sorry, folks - but if Iowa loses a game 100-0, that does NOT make the Gophers a better team. I take no satisfaction in other teams' losses. I care about what the Gophers do.

Having said that, I think the Gophers could very well have a bounce-back season next year - 8 or 9 wins and a decent bowl game. The big question mark for me is how they replace Murray and BBC at CB. If they can get good play from the DB's, next year could be a lot of fun.

and, as far as the Rose Bowl is concerned, as a 60-year-old guy, I definitely want to see the Gophers play in the Rose Bowl in my lifetime. I wouldn't be thrilled to see them get run off the field in a Rose Bowl game, but I do want to see the Gophs in the Rose Bowl.

Sorry, folks - but if Iowa loses a game 100-0, that does NOT make the Gophers a better team. I take no satisfaction in other teams' losses. I care about what the Gophers do.

Having said that, I think the Gophers could very well have a bounce-back season next year - 8 or 9 wins and a decent bowl game. The big question mark for me is how they replace Murray and BBC at CB. If they can get good play from the DB's, next year could be a lot of fun.

and, as far as the Rose Bowl is concerned, as a 60-year-old guy, I definitely want to see the Gophers play in the Rose Bowl in my lifetime. I wouldn't be thrilled to see them get run off the field in a Rose Bowl game, but I do want to see the Gophs in the Rose Bowl.

I don't recall anyone saying that. Clearljy Iowa was better overall, just not as much as they wanted to believe. They were due for a comeuppance.

Its ok if we as older fans lose our passion, but sports is a healthy outlet for many people. The faux anger, faux sorrow, faux arguments we have on here aren't real. It is just a game. It's best if we don't take things too seriously. It's a distraction from the very real problems in our lives.

Remember the metrodome. Iowa doesn't deserve any condolences.

https://youtu.be/qnUoQZUAdvA

Many people do... there's actually a snappy name for it:

scha·den·freu·de
ˈSHädənˌfroidə/Submit
noun
pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

Many people do... there's actually a snappy name for it:

scha·den·freu·de
ˈSHädənˌfroidə/Submit
noun
pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune.

Gopher football: providing SHädənˌfroidə to skunk and hog-eye fans since about 1972.

If the Gophers are healthy, we beat Iowa, Michigan, probably Nebraska. Even if Iowa still won the west they don't go to Rose bowl.

Top Bottom