Gophers -vs- Tommies

We really don't. I live in Texas, and there is about as much coverage for their FCS (and lower) football as there is for the MIAC in Minnesota and I live within 4 hours of UT, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, etc. People just love football and everyone is a bit provincial.

It's not a strange obsession. There are a ton of people who either went to these schools or know people who go to these schools and they follow them. It's not much different than how people enjoy following HS football.
I think there is a strange obsession in Minnesota with being offended that people care about D2 and D3 football

Why is that odd? The U of MN is located in the Twin Cities and the only other D1 school in the state is located 15 minutes away.

There are a ton of people who post on this board who are from the Twin Cities and football fans. Isn't that kind of the demographic that might have some interest in St. Thomas football? I'm not saying everyone will, but you'd have to think there would be some overlap.

It would be extremely odd if we pretended it didn't exist. As far as an obsession, I guess there is 1 thread every few weeks where St. Thomas football is mentioned.
Is there a TommieHole.com they can log into then?

Is there a TommieHole.com they can log into then?
I'm sure there is something but I don't want to log into anything called Tommiehole.

I wasn't saying they should spam this board with Tommies convo, I'm just saying it was weird you pretended to be surprised that there is overlap between the Gopher fans and Tommies fans.

What fun would talking about Tommies be if it didn't the folks like you.

And again you bump it to the top
Thanks for supporting lower level college football! Us fans appreciate it
D'oh...it just got bumped down to second. I'll put it back to the top!

You're welcome.

I believe they are still ineligible for a couple more years as they are in a transition period, but if that weren't the case, they would probably get the Pioneer auto-bid this year.

When NDSU went D1, they were also ineligible for postseason play for a few years, despite still being a really good team.
Disco is correct - there is an ineligibility period for postseason play when a school moves up. A google search reveals that for St Thomas it's five years. I know NDSU had a period of ineligibility too, and I ought to remember what it was because I lived in NDSU country at the time, but all I remember is that it was like a bad dream. And google isn't helpful.

Disco is correct - there is an ineligibility period for postseason play when a school moves up. A google search reveals that for St Thomas it's five years. I know NDSU had a period of ineligibility too, and I ought to remember what it was because I lived in NDSU country at the time, but all I remember is that it was like a bad dream. And google isn't helpful.
STU did win the MIAC their last year of participation, in their second year with players from their old team they are the Champions of the Pioneer League? in addition they are rated in the top 23 of FCS. They might make the final four in a few more years at the rate they are going.

Standard transition period is four years. UST may have had an additional year tacked on because of the huge jump from D3 to D1.

They had scheduled it, but I think NDSU pulled out this year.
They must have realized it wouldn't be a sure win for them. I was surprised to see that the Tommies are ranked.
1668178170978.png

It won't be any different than when Pioneer teams play competitive MVFC teams, they get creamed.

STU did win the MIAC their last year of participation, in their second year with players from their old team they are the Champions of the Pioneer League? in addition they are rated in the top 23 of FCS. They might make the final four in a few more years at the rate they are going.
The difference between D1 FCS, D2, and D3 isn't as big as people make it out to be. This is especially true in sports like basketball, baseball, softball, etc.

College sports are college sports. Skill levels are fairly similar across the board, it is size and athelticm that changes as you go up.

Tha
Some people maybe. Personally this thread doesn't bother me.
The state has a lot of D2 and D3 teams, most states do not. Many people in the state know players or played with them in HS. Michigan has 6 Division I teams. Even SD has 2 Division 1 teams.

The every illustrious Top 23 ranking!

If, at some point in the future, St. Thomas moved up to full FCS status in FB, then I would have no problem with the Gophers playing them - assuming that conference realignment, etc still allows a P5 team to play an FCS team.

But, I just don't seen St. Thomas moving up in FB. the impact on the budget, facilities, etc would be really expensive.

I expect that St. Thomas will focus on basketball and hockey.

If, at some point in the future, St. Thomas moved up to full FCS status in FB, then I would have no problem with the Gophers playing them - assuming that conference realignment, etc still allows a P5 team to play an FCS team.

But, I just don't seen St. Thomas moving up in FB. the impact on the budget, facilities, etc would be really expensive.

Until UST plays scholarship football IMO it doesn’t make much sense to schedule them.
Then again once they offer scholarship football it doesn’t make sense to schedule them for different reasons.

I’m a UST alumni saying that.
Basketball I think there can be mutual benefit at some point

Man, there is such an odd obsession with St. Thomas football here on Gopher Hole.
I've never been a fan of St. Thomas in the past... but I am, going forward. Mostly, because I watch 20-30 Minnesota athletes go west to play for NDSU every year. If St. Thomas can put themselves into a position to siphon off some of those players in the NDSU pipeline... Well, I like the idea of that. Will that happen immediately...? Not a chance.

St. Thomas, I think, has a few years left on the probationary period (on going D1) and it'll be interesting what happens when that's over with. I can see a time, in the near future, when they need to move on from playing football in the Pioneer League... I think they end up in the MVFC, but it'll be a few years...

North Dakota is not ranked, they would beat STU by 30 points.
North Dakota has a football team? Seriously really??? And why are you bringing that up and why should I care?

Last edited:

Correct me if Im wrong but I believe St Thomas is already FCS

Next year St. Thomas will play South Dakota. That game should show how close they are to D1 Football.
They also have a home-and-home scheduled with Harvard, which Sagarin ranks much higher than St Thomas. There is ambition behind this program.

Top Bottom