Gophers -vs- Tommies

They also have a home-and-home scheduled with Harvard, which Sagarin ranks much higher than St Thomas. There is ambition behind this program.
St. Thomas is a good school, a beautiful campus in a great area of St. Paul. The problem I see is with their stadium. Can they expand it enough? One major issue is the neighborhood residents don't necessarily like the school's expansion and probably wouldn't like hoards of football fans in the neighborhood.

St. Thomas is a good school, a beautiful campus in a great area of St. Paul. The problem I see is with their stadium. Can they expand it enough? One major issue is the neighborhood residents don't necessarily like the school's expansion and probably wouldn't like hoards of football fans in the neighborhood.
They're trying to build a new hockey arena on the south campus:
https://tommiesports.com/news/2022/10/18/general-test.aspx

I would think if they can push that through, they'd do it big enough to be their main, major sports arena.

But as far as football goes, yeah they'll never get that on campus at 10-15k capacity or higher.

Wild n' crazy thought: could they rig up something at the State Fair Grandstand??

They're trying to build a new hockey arena on the south campus:
https://tommiesports.com/news/2022/10/18/general-test.aspx

I would think if they can push that through, they'd do it big enough to be their main, major sports arena.

But as far as football goes, yeah they'll never get that on campus at 10-15k capacity or higher.

Wild n' crazy thought: could they rig up something at the State Fair Grandstand??
It will be interesting to see. I've been to football games there in recent years. It's a nice setting. You can even look out on the field from a student cafeteria. It is an intimate setting and it seems it would be hard, if not impossible, to get the capacity up to 10-15k. And then there's the parking in that area.

Not an argument in favor of a Gophers -Tommies match, just fascinating to witness...St Thomas gets some notice for their unprecedented DIII to FCS move, and for their unexpectedly quick success.

Not an argument in favor of a Gophers -Tommies match, just fascinating to witness...St Thomas gets some notice for their unprecedented DIII to FCS move, and for their unexpectedly quick success.

Pioneer League is DIII football, and they wouldn't be at the top of DIII. It's not really a jump.

Pioneer League is DIII football, and they wouldn't be at the top of DIII. It's not really a jump.
They certainly would be near the top of D3
And the top of D3 could beat half of teams in D2 and a few of the teams in scholarship FCS

Agree. Bethel would win games in the Pioneer league.
That assertion doesn’t agree with what he said. Bethel was the 13th rated team in D3
So how does bethel being able to beat the bottom of the pioneer league mean st Thomas mean st thomas wouldn’t be near the top of D3

People tend to overrate D2 and scholarship FCS football and underrate D3

Have you seen d2?
Concordia St. Paul wouldn’t be too 30 in D3
Minot state would be .500 in the MIAC

And here is a guy, gopher chase, who hasn’t watched a d2 game or d3 game in 5 years making comments

The bottom half of D2 football is awful.
What is a better deal?
20k a year in academic aid to st Thomas?
Or a 500 dollars a semester partial football scholarship to minot state?

People think scholarship means full ride, it doesn’t. Some places you end up paying more to play on scholarship than you end up paying to play D3

Top Bottom