Gophers -vs- Tommies

It appears STU is recruiting nationally now, attempting to sell Div. 1 status. Guggamos transferred from the University of MN, I do not think he is starting. There current team would not have a problem with any of the teams in the MIAC.

We'd probably have more St. Thomas fans at the stadium than Gopher fans, since none of us would care. That alone would be reason enough not to do it
Im glad I wasn’t drinking anything when I read this section. If I was, whatever I would have been drinking would have exited my nose at great speed.

Perhaps the jump to D1 has improved things a bit at UST in terms of fan attendance, but historically there was only one event (football vs St. John’s) that would draw anyone beyond parents and girlfriends.

I personally attended two MIAC basketball championship games at UST between Gustavus and UST (separated by 20 years or more) where visiting fans outnumbered the home crowd by a 3:1 or more margin.

Even if it were just two, that is too many.
The "7 National Titles Football Forum" is the place where Gopher football fans gather to talk about the team, college football, recruiting and the program's march back to Pasadena.

We are talking about college football here. Don't like it, don't click on it.

And no, the Gophers would never play UST in football. Hoops and hockey, yes.

Try rereading the last sentence in the post I respond to: the poster understood (signified) by his liking my response, but you apparently can’t follow along and/or a donkey(?)despite your perspicacious abilities🤣.

Also Mr. Wikipedia, that analogy is not limited to faith based claims ( your cocyazz claim under your moniker speaks volumes regarding your erudition😉.
Show off!

The "7 National Titles Football Forum" is the place where Gopher football fans gather to talk about the team, college football, recruiting and the program's march back to Pasadena.

Probably baseball and softball too.

Minnesotans have a peculiar obsession with small-college football.
We really don't. I live in Texas, and there is about as much coverage for their FCS (and lower) football as there is for the MIAC in Minnesota and I live within 4 hours of UT, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, etc. People just love football and everyone is a bit provincial.

It's not a strange obsession. There are a ton of people who either went to these schools or know people who go to these schools and they follow them. It's not much different than how people enjoy following HS football.

Man, there is such an odd obsession with St. Thomas football here on Gopher Hole.
Why is that odd? The U of MN is located in the Twin Cities and the only other D1 school in the state is located 15 minutes away.

There are a ton of people who post on this board who are from the Twin Cities and football fans. Isn't that kind of the demographic that might have some interest in St. Thomas football? I'm not saying everyone will, but you'd have to think there would be some overlap.

It would be extremely odd if we pretended it didn't exist. As far as an obsession, I guess there is 1 thread every few weeks where St. Thomas football is mentioned.

Nah...I'll click on it.

Never?

We really don't. I live in Texas, and there is about as much coverage for their FCS (and lower) football as there is for the MIAC in Minnesota and I live within 4 hours of UT, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, etc. People just love football and everyone is a bit provincial.

It's not a strange obsession. There are a ton of people who either went to these schools or know people who go to these schools and they follow them. It's not much different than how people enjoy following HS football.

Agreed. It is not just a MN thing. My kid attends a smaller college in Central TX with a very good football squad. That team and others have decent TV and streaming broadcasting streams with professional announcers and are in the local news every week. Coaches have their own shows.

Heck, it's definitely a Wisconsin thing. I think Whitewater gets 10,000-15,000 fans for their bigger games.

Well, never say NEVER. But I'd think it's highly unlikely anytime soon. Or in most of our lifetimes.
I thought STU was scheduled to play NDSU in a few years? NDSU beat the Gophers.

I thought STU was scheduled to play NDSU in a few years? NDSU beat the Gophers.
UST is going to play the Bison? I hadn't heard that. Minnesota has, and will again, play MVFC teams. I don't see the Gophers playing a Pioneer League team.

UST is going to play the Bison? I hadn't heard that. Minnesota has, and will again, play MVFC teams. I don't see the Gophers playing a Pioneer League team.
They had scheduled it, but I think NDSU pulled out this year.

Looks like the Tommies are going to Fargo in 2025. There was a discussion of a game here at US Bank in 2023, but I don't think that materialized.

Teams that need to be on our schedule in the future.. Iowa st, sdsu, usd and ndsu. Lol

Well, never say NEVER. But I'd think it's highly unlikely anytime soon. Or in most of our lifetimes.
You had me at the first part, I think the chance of them playing a FBS school in the next decade is better than 50%. If they play an FBS school, I think it's only a matter of time (or it really only should be).

15 years ago, St. Thomas was a terrible MIAC team. Today, they leading the Pioneer League and have a very good chance of playing in the FCS playoffs. They also have a program on their schedule that has beaten several Big 10 schools.

Now, I'm not saying I think the Gophers will play a Pioneer League team. I am not saying that they will be playing a team that even comes close to resembling the current St. Thomas team. What I'm saying is A LOT can change in 10-15 years.

The rule might be gone now, but there used to be a rule that you could only count a win against an FCS team towards bowl eligibility if that team sponsored a minimum number of scholarships.

Pioneer teams don't have scholarships (at least, officially *wink wink*).

Looks like the Tommies are going to Fargo in 2025. There was a discussion of a game here at US Bank in 2023, but I don't think that materialized.
UST head coach was a coach at NDSU, long ago. So long ago that it probably is entirely irrelevant for this scheduling, but anyway.

15 years ago, St. Thomas was a terrible MIAC team. Today, they leading the Pioneer League and have a very good chance of playing in the FCS playoffs. They also have a program on their schedule that has beaten several Big 10 schools.

Now, I'm not saying I think the Gophers will play a Pioneer League team. I am not saying that they will be playing a team that even comes close to resembling the current St. Thomas team. What I'm saying is A LOT can change in 10-15 years.
The difference between UST's Pioneer budget and the budgets that the Dakota's/Northern Iowa spend on football ... big lift.

Plus all the money you'd have to pour into maintaining Title IX. More likely, they'd have to kill off men's sports like soccer, swimming, XC/track, baseball.

But, if some rich booster(s) want(s) to make it happen, good for them. You can do anything with enough money.

And their long term goal has to be getting into the Big East.

Good comparison there would be UConn, since also having hockey. I guess if UConn can make it work, then UST could try to model their athletics after them. No men's XC, swimming, or tennis (or Lacrosse, but a lot of BE don't have that for men's). Every single BE has men's soccer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_Conference#Men's_sports

I believe they are still ineligible for a couple more years as they are in a transition period, but if that weren't the case, they would probably get the Pioneer auto-bid this year.

When NDSU went D1, they were also ineligible for postseason play for a few years, despite still being a really good team.

And their long term goal has to be getting into the Big East.

Good comparison there would be UConn, since also having hockey. I guess if UConn can make it work, then UST could try to model their athletics after them. No men's XC, swimming, or tennis (or Lacrosse, but a lot of BE don't have that for men's). Every single BE has men's soccer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_Conference#Men's_sports
I think by the time (if ever) they are looking to go FBS, the landscape of the football conferences will be drastically different.

I guess I did it more for "high scholarship football + scholarship hockey" than I did for FBS vs FCS.

Villanova has scholarship FCS football in the Big East, but no hockey.

All I'm saying is that UST going high scholarship football (in the FCS) is already a difficult path, and having scholarship hockey makes it harder.

Top Bottom