Gophers -vs- Tommies

maybe if football spins off and doesn't count for title ix -- but you are asking them to fund scholarships for a football team and then a bunch of women's sports.

content or not they profile as a "catholic seven" type school -- a midwestern Providence if you may -- who can focus on basketball and hockey
Yeah I don’t think there is a donor base there. Pre-shift I used to be well connected at UST and the move is for basketball not football

Try rereading the last sentence in the post I respond to: the poster understood (signified) by his liking my response, but you apparently can’t follow along and/or a donkey(?)despite your perspicacious abilities🤣.

Also Mr. Wikipedia, that analogy is not limited to faith based claims ( your cocyazz claim under your moniker speaks volumes regarding your erudition😉.
You've decided that being wrong wasn't enough, now you want to be wrong and sarcastic.

I stand by what I said. You have a great day.

Would MN United allow St Thomas to play in their stadium? That gets them to 20k seats per home game. I think that’s about the same for NDSU.

I hope the Gophers and St Thomas play bball and hockey every year.

Would MN United allow St Thomas to play in their stadium? That gets them to 20k seats per home game. I think that’s about the same for NDSU.

I don’t think so… they had some field issues after the last time they played there.

Also outside the tommy johnny game word has it they didn’t draw much at all. I really don’t think they’re making a big move for football…

I don’t think so… they had some field issues after the last time they played there.

Also outside the tommy johnny game word has it they didn’t draw much at all. I really don’t think they’re making a big move for football…
4,768 fans for the D2 MI Tech game and 4,359 for Lincoln CA (never heard of them). Kind of surprising. Not bad for those non-descript teams and given that O'Shaughnessy only holds 5,000.

Forget the Tommies vs. Gophs. It ain't gonna happen.

However, there's no reason the Tommies couldn't still play the Johnnies. Both are non-scholarship. It would still be the highest attended game for both. The Johnnies need to play two non-con games anyhow. It wouldn't be much different from playing a top WIAC team like the Johnnies do now in non-con.

You've decided that being wrong wasn't enough, now you want to be wrong and sarcastic.

I stand by what I said. You have a great day.

My sincerest apologies as I have found someone who vouches for your “hyper intelligence.” No, it is not your 🐶, Mr. Wikipedia.

Check back on this in 10 years. Right now, the game would be a hazard for St. Thomas and their players. So, for right now, hard pass. It will depend on where they are in terms of scholarship football down the road. If the Tommies stay in the Pioneer, it'll never happen. Might be willing to do a joint practice or scrimmage (not sure about rules on this). But an actual game? Not remotely close to happening.

No. I believe MNUFC and Allianz said they would not be allowing this again because of how badly it tore up the field.

I'm not hung up on this; I think it's worth revisiting.

St Thomas is now 8-1 (6-0) and in first place in the Pioneer Football League. They made their debut in the FCS coaches' poll last week at #25 and moved up to #23 following their 34-7 win against 4-5 (3-3) Valparaiso on Saturday. St Thomas has already beaten 7-2 (5-1) Davidson, last year's league champion, 27-16. They have two games left in 2022, against 3-5 Stetson and 7-2 Butler, and I think we have to give them a better than 50/50 chance of winning out and being league champs in their second season in FCS.

That would put them at 10-1 (8-0) for the season, and almost undoubtedly ranked 20th or higher.

Chalk it up to a weak schedule, but in any case I'm not seeing how Western Illinois, which is currently 0-9 (0-6 in the MVFC) is a better opponent.

I'm not hung up on this; I think it's worth revisiting.

St Thomas is now 8-1 (6-0) and in first place in the Pioneer Football League. They made their debut in the FCS coaches' poll last week at #25 and moved up to #23 following their 34-7 win against 4-5 (3-3) Valparaiso on Saturday. St Thomas has already beaten 7-2 (5-1) Davidson, last year's league champion, 27-16. They have two games left in 2022, against 3-5 Stetson and 7-2 Butler, and I think we have to give them a better than 50/50 chance of winning out and being league champs in their second season in FCS.

That would put them at 10-1 (8-0) for the season, and almost undoubtedly ranked 20th or higher.

Chalk it up to a weak schedule, but in any case I'm not seeing how Western Illinois, which is currently 0-9 (0-6 in the MVFC) is a better opponent.
I am a major St. Thomas homer. I have family playing there right now and I follow them about as closely as I do the Gophers. I've seen a number of games, I've been to a couple and I do think the game in the future would be fun.

That said, it would be an absolute slaughter at this point in their history. The Pioneer League has only EVER won 1 game in the playoffs (against the better FCS teams). I would be pretty surprised if St. Thomas won a game in the MVFC.

Just for some perspective, St. Thomas' only loss this year is to Southern Utah (44-13), and Southern Utah barely beat Western Illinois (17-10) and got demolished by Utah (73-7).

Not sure if this is allowed, but would there ever be a preseason scrimmage between the schools? I agree that a game is unlikely!

I am a major St. Thomas homer. I have family playing there right now and I follow them about as closely as I do the Gophers. I've seen a number of games, I've been to a couple and I do think the game in the future would be fun.

That said, it would be an absolute slaughter at this point in their history. The Pioneer League has only EVER won 1 game in the playoffs (against the better FCS teams). I would be pretty surprised if St. Thomas won a game in the MVFC.

Just for some perspective, St. Thomas' only loss this year is to Southern Utah (44-13), and Southern Utah barely beat Western Illinois (17-10) and got demolished by Utah (73-7).
Agreed, I wouldn't want to see this year's St Thomas team play the Gophers. But I expect the Tommies to keep recruiting better talent and getting bigger, stronger, and faster. It's amazing the strides they've already made.

BTW, Pioneer League has won two FCS playoff games, both by the University of San Diego.

Agreed, I wouldn't want to see this year's St Thomas team play the Gophers. But I expect the Tommies to keep recruiting better talent and getting bigger, stronger, and faster. It's amazing the strides they've already made.

BTW, Pioneer League has won two FCS playoff games, both by the University of San Diego.
Wasn't Harbaugh the coach then? They are not worth scheduling at this point as they are a tick above D3 right now in the Pioneer league. Seeing what was accomplished by playing Colorado, NMST, and Western Ill. we should step it up. I'd rather lose a Non-Conference game if it meant learning something about our team and us doing better in the Conference. (Those close games in 2019 helped in conference games.)

The only difference between MN & WI/IA at this point is they lost their P5 non-conference game.

Ever is a long time. Give UST time. A few years down the road, maybe.

Wasn't Harbaugh the coach then? They are not worth scheduling at this point as they are a tick above D3 right now in the Pioneer league. Seeing what was accomplished by playing Colorado, NMST, and Western Ill. we should step it up. I'd rather lose a Non-Conference game if it meant learning something about our team and us doing better in the Conference. (Those close games in 2019 helped in conference games.)

The only difference between MN & WI/IA at this point is they lost their P5 non-conference game.
Nope, that was in 2016 and 2017, and it was the same coach they have now, Dale Lindsey. The Toreros were ranked 19th in 2016 and unranked in 2017 when they won those games.

I think it's too easy to say that the Pioneer Football League is little better than DIII. It makes you sound worldly wise and in-the-know, but it isn't true. PFL teams have been nationally ranked and won FCS playoff games in the past, and so far this year, the Tommies are the best team in the league.

Let's be real. UST got monkey-stomped by the only scholarship FCS team they've played, a bad Southern Utah team. Should they really be ranked? Really?

Appreciate the perspective. I've not seen St. Thomas play this year, but I've watched a couple FCS playoff games involving the Pioneer League champ in recent years and they've been ugly. I wasn't aware that San Diego had actually won a couple playoff games, so who knows -- perhaps St. Thomas can repeat that feat. That said, I don't think scheduling games against MN is in the cards the next few years. 10 years, who knows.

Absolutely spot on!

This is the best they had to offer last year. Playing UST is simply laughable like others have mentioned!

Last year's Co-Champ San Diego lost to these FCS teams:
Cal Poly (2-9) 28-17
UC Davis (8-4; 1st round playoff loss) 53-7
Montana St. (12-3; Natty Runner-up) 52-7

The other Co-Champ Davidson lost to these FCS teams:
VMI (6-5) 45-24
Dayton (6-4 Pioneer team) 38-29
Playoff game
: Kennesaw St. (11-2; lost in 2nd) 48-21

That's because it's a weird thing where Pioneer teams are really DIII teams that call themselves FCS, due to a rule that DI athletic departments aren't allowed to play no-scholarship football actually in the DIII division. They did that for a long time, and started winning too much, so they got kicked out.

They get an auto-bid to the FCS playoff first round, get smashed, and that's that.

Minnesotans have a peculiar obsession with small-college football.

Let's be real. UST got monkey-stomped by the only scholarship FCS team they've played, a bad Southern Utah team. Should they really be ranked? Really?
They should be ranked as they received votes from the voters and that’s how rankings work.
I am not sure I would vote for them. It’s clear you wouldn’t.

Bet let’s also be real, you haven’t watched an FCS vs FCS this year. Nor have you watched st Thomas

Nope, that was in 2016 and 2017, and it was the same coach they have now, Dale Lindsey. The Toreros were ranked 19th in 2016 and unranked in 2017 when they won those games.

I think it's too easy to say that the Pioneer Football League is little better than DIII. It makes you sound worldly wise and in-the-know, but it isn't true. PFL teams have been nationally ranked and won FCS playoff games in the past, and so far this year, the Tommies are the best team in the league.

I think it depends on how you define it. There is a WIDE range when talking about Division III.

There is no doubt the elite D-III teams would beat the bottom half of the PFL, in some cases handily. The elite D-III teams would compete very evenly with the upper half of the PFL, and absolutely win some games. Mt. Union would 100% be a PFL title contender this year and every year.

That said, terrible D-III teams from the UMAC would not have much of a shot at teams in the PFL.

Last edited:

Top Bottom