Gophers schedule a home and home with…

This is just holding that $300k hostage, in case MN decides to cancel the return trip. They'd use that towards paying for a new buy game to replace it.
If the $300,000 is hostage, that's a very low ransom as it would take 5-10 times that dollar amount to replace it.

I think it is more to offset the travel costs associated with the road trip.

If the $300,000 is hostage, that's a very low ransom as it would take 5-10 times that dollar amount to replace it.

I think it is more to offset the travel costs associated with the road trip.
Alabama will sell out the game no matter who plays there. I don't understand your "it would take 5-10 times that dollar amount to replace it" comment.

They can, and do every year, schedule a low-end FCS team. Typically the week before their rivalry game.

Alabama will sell out the game no matter who plays there. I don't understand your "it would take 5-10 times that dollar amount to replace it" comment.

They can, and do every year, schedule a low-end FCS team. Typically the week before their rivalry game.
Alabama would have to pay a team much more than $300,000 to come into Tuscaloosa if the Gophers skipped out on the return trip. They would have to pay $1,500,0000 - $3,000,000 for a one off. By 2033 it could much, much more.

per Shama:

Through a request for information to the University of Minnesota, Sports Headliners has learned the Gophers will pay legendary football power Alabama $300,000 to play at Huntington Bank Stadium September 18, 2032. Alabama will guarantee the same amount to Minnesota for the September 17, 2033 game in Tuscaloosa.

Minnesota and Alabama athletic departments will both generate large revenues, with the assumption here each will keep all home game revenues including ticket receipts. Guarantees for nonconference games are often much larger than $300,000, further creating big paydays for both schools.

Minnesota is 1-0 all-time against Alabama. The Gophers beat the Crimson Tide 20-16 in the 2004 Music City Bowl in Nashville. Minnesota is 9-8-1 against current teams in the SEC.

Go Gophers!!
See! I knew someone was paying someone to play in this series! Bunch of you doubted that!

Alabama would have to pay a team much more than $300,000 to come into Tuscaloosa if the Gophers skipped out on the return trip. They would have to pay $1,500,0000 - $3,000,000 for a one off. By 2033 it could much, much more.
I disagree. They could grab some low-end FCS school for probably $300-400k.

I disagree. They could grab some low-end FCS school for probably $300-400k.
- The going rate is trending higher than $300-400k even for FCS schools, and will be much higher in 2033.
- One of their other 3 non-conference games probably will be an FCS team. Currently SEC has 4 per season. Tide are also at Arizona that year. They undoubtedly want at least 2 P5 teams outside the SEC slate. A one off would cost millions.
- They would have wasted their own opportunity to get a paycheck by coming to the Bank (or whatever it will called then) or a neutral site in 2032.

No doubt the Gophers would have to pay 7 figures if they backed out after the 1st game.

- The going rate is trending higher than $300-400k even for FCS schools, and will be much higher in 2033.
- One of their other 3 non-conference games probably will be an FCS team. Currently SEC has 4 per season. Tide are also at Arizona that year. They undoubtedly want at least 2 P5 teams outside the SEC slate. A one off would cost millions.
- They would have wasted their own opportunity to get a paycheck by coming to the Bank (or whatever it will called then) or a neutral site in 2032.

No doubt the Gophers would have to pay 7 figures if they backed out after the 1st game.
Bold 1: agree it will be some amount higher by then.

Bold 2: if it's not in the contract, then no they won't. The only thing mentioned by Shama's report is a $300k, each way.

Why would Shama go to the trouble of using FOIA to get the info, see that there is a huge cancellation fee, report on the $300k, but then not report on the cancellation fee?

Makes no sense. So I will then assume that there is nothing else in the contract other than $300k.

Bold 1: agree it will be some amount higher by then.

Bold 2: if it's not in the contract, then no they won't. The only thing mentioned by Shama's report is a $300k, each way.

Why would Shama go to the trouble of using FOIA to get the info, see that there is a huge cancellation fee, report on the $300k, but then not report on the cancellation fee?

Makes no sense. So I will then assume that there is nothing else in the contract other than $300k.

I cannot speak to Shama's reporting abilities. No idea why he would not report it, but just because he didn't, does not mean there is not something in the contract about backing out after the first year. He didn't report on what Conference Referee crews will be used, but I am sure there is something in the contract about that too.

Pure guesses, maybe he did not report it because it's so obvious or the probability is low that a team would back out on a return game? It's just common sense.

I would expect the exact same thing for a Home-and-Home series where the Gophers go on the road first. Otherwise there would be huge incentives to not honor the return game. It's big bucks. To not have some sort of protection would be completely moronic (or genius on Coyle's part since they get the first one in Mpls).

Of course, sometimes there are unforeseen events such as 9-11. Baylor was supposed to play at the HHH Dome that week. All games cancelled, they never returned. Not sure how that was ever resolved. If they got hosed on that, hopefully they have learned to get more favorable contract language for such a thing, or weather or a pandemic events.

Further conference realignment could also play havoc in scheduled games.

According to Deion, there are HBCU's accepting $250k.

I cannot speak to Shama's reporting abilities. No idea why he would not report it, but just because he didn't, does not mean there is not something in the contract about backing out after the first year. He didn't report on what Conference Referee crews will be used, but I am sure there is something in the contract about that too.

Pure guesses, maybe he did not report it because it's so obvious or the probability is low that a team would back out on a return game? It's just common sense.

I would expect the exact same thing for a Home-and-Home series where the Gophers go on the road first. Otherwise there would be huge incentives to not honor the return game. It's big bucks. To not have some sort of protection would be completely moronic (or genius on Coyle's part since they get the first one in Mpls).

Of course, sometimes there are unforeseen events such as 9-11. Baylor was supposed to play at the HHH Dome that week. All games cancelled, they never returned. Not sure how that was ever resolved. If they got hosed on that, hopefully they have learned to get more favorable contract language for such a thing, or weather or a pandemic events.

Further conference realignment could also play havoc in scheduled games.
You make a lot of great points in here. I will take the L and move on.

Eight years from now who knows who will be in what conference by then?

Top Bottom