Gophers schedule a home and home with…

Ummm no. Badger fan?

I thought it meant just Alabama not the state of Alabama and I didn’t realize they had beaten them in 2004. That win against auburn was really impressive a couple years ago. And yes as stated before I like the badgers and gophers both. I know that’s hard for most to accept but true. I have a gopher hockey hat even that I wear to the games.

Whoever made this decision should be fired. It’s bad enough we play Mississippi State in a few years home and home and will get two blowout losses on the schedule early. Now we have to play not only an SEC school but arguably the best one by far.

It’s bad enough this news comes as we just got embarrassed by Purdue on homecoming and now we are going to get pounded by Illinois and Penn State (especially since it’s their famous white out game). By the time that’s done we will be lucky to win another game the rest of the way, let alone bowl eligibility. Plus lose the bowl game if we even get that far.

Maybe instead of doing crazy stuff like scheduling powerhouse SEC schools we can work on beating the Purdues and Illinois of the world first. Plus work on actually beating our rivals on a consistent basis, especially on the road more often (Iowa and Wisconsin especially come to mind), and make a dent in how lopsided they are (Michigan and Penn State especially come to mind here). Not to mention Nebraska will find their footing and get strong again too.

I’m also not falling for the play the best to be the best, because getting knocked around by Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc. for years did nothing to make the program better or get any better recruiting. Stop scheduling ridiculous SEC schools (even schools such as Vanderbilt are good now too) as we have had trouble beating MAC schools and FCS schools and even lost to them. Now you’ve just guaranteed two more non conference losses and being embarrassed on national TV with nothing to gain from it.
Thank you for that. I needed a good laugh!!

I thought it meant just Alabama not the state of Alabama and I didn’t realize they had beaten them in 2004. That win against auburn was really impressive a couple years ago. And yes as stated before I like the badgers and gophers both. I know that’s hard for most to accept but true. I have a gopher hockey hat even that I wear to the games.
Yes it is! Purely mostly an athletics thing...

Some of it might’ve been heat of the moment and need to blow off steam/anger over this, but many parts were not.

This year is heading for a nosedive like the Twins did (had to play good teams and got pounded) and Vikings will once they play good teams after their bye week (will be tested this week too and have nearly lost 4 out of 5 games so far). The Gophers are doing this now and will be lucky to win another game, no bowl game/lose if they get there.

When it comes to the schedule, this is where the problem lies. Like we can’t even beat Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. even somewhat regularly. Yet, we go ahead and schedule Alabama? How is getting killed by them in two years going to make recruits want to come here? We aren’t just going to wake up and knock off this generation’s best team. This is like when big SEC schools schedule an FCS school to beat up on and pad stats. Only this time Minnesota is the little FCS school. This hurts the program more than it helps.
One loss and the season is heading for a nosedive? We're not even halfway through it, I think you're overreacting.

Also this game is literally in 10 years. Lots of things can happen in 10 years, and Saban will likely have retired, and who knows if his successor can keep the team as good as he has.

This year is heading for a nosedive.
The Gophers are doing this now and will be lucky to win another game, no bowl game/lose if they get there.
My turn to blow off steam. We lose one game (without our best player) and people like you think the season is over. At least, spare us until after this Saturday before you start bringing this bad energy in here. This glass-half-empty BS is what PJ wanted to change by coming here and he talked about it further in his presser after the Penn State game. You just keep digging yourself a hole with these negative and nonsensical posts while also digging a hole in the morale of a fan base that is further heading in the right direction by scheduling these types of games. Be better, please.

My turn to blow off steam. We lose one game (without our best player) and people like you think the season is over. At least, spare us until after this Saturday before you start bringing this bad energy in here. This glass-half-empty BS is what PJ wanted to change by coming here and he talked about it further in his presser after the Penn State game. You just keep digging yourself a hole with these negative and nonsensical posts while also digging a hole in the morale of a fan base that is further heading in the right direction by scheduling these types of games. Be better, please.
I thought this was called a "forum," not a cult chatroom. Maybe I was wrong.

Whoever made this decision should be fired. It’s bad enough we play Mississippi State in a few years home and home and will get two blowout losses on the schedule early. Now we have to play not only an SEC school but arguably the best one by far.

It’s bad enough this news comes as we just got embarrassed by Purdue on homecoming and now we are going to get pounded by Illinois and Penn State (especially since it’s their famous white out game). By the time that’s done we will be lucky to win another game the rest of the way, let alone bowl eligibility. Plus lose the bowl game if we even get that far.

Maybe instead of doing crazy stuff like scheduling powerhouse SEC schools we can work on beating the Purdues and Illinois of the world first. Plus work on actually beating our rivals on a consistent basis, especially on the road more often (Iowa and Wisconsin especially come to mind), and make a dent in how lopsided they are (Michigan and Penn State especially come to mind here). Not to mention Nebraska will find their footing and get strong again too.

I’m also not falling for the play the best to be the best, because getting knocked around by Ohio State, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc. for years did nothing to make the program better or get any better recruiting. Stop scheduling ridiculous SEC schools (even schools such as Vanderbilt are good now too) as we have had trouble beating MAC schools and FCS schools and even lost to them. Now you’ve just guaranteed two more non conference losses and being embarrassed on national TV with nothing to gain from it.

Ruesse is that you??

Yes it is! Purely mostly an athletics thing...
Most badger fans hate Ohio state and Michigan. Don’t really bother with Minnesota. Might not believe it but it’s true. Kind of like pro football. Maybe in pierce and st Croix county there is some rivalry with the Vikings but for 90 percent of the state they hate the bears. I didn’t believe it till I went to a game. If Minnesota can consistently challenge for the ax I bet it comes back but 4 times since 2000 isn’t a rivalry even if you want to pretend it is.

Most badger fans hate Ohio state and Michigan. Don’t really bother with Minnesota. Might not believe it but it’s true. Kind of like pro football. Maybe in pierce and st Croix county there is some rivalry with the Vikings but for 90 percent of the state they hate the bears. I didn’t believe it till I went to a game. If Minnesota can consistently challenge for the ax I bet it comes back but 4 times since 2000 isn’t a rivalry even if you want to pretend it is.
That’s really sad that Badger fans third wheel the Michigan-OSU rivalry. I can assure you that Michigan and OSU do not care about Wisconsin.

Sorry but this is BS. It's so lame when people try to pull the "we're not rivals because we beat you so often". You may be an exception, but the overwhelming majority of badger fans have a healthy hatred for Minnesota. Ohio State still hates Michigan plenty, Alabama hates Tennessee, etc. Don't be that guy.

What is the overall record. Now ask yourself how long Wisconsin has had the lead in the series. You might not believe it, but it hasn't been long at all. And I'm talking over 131 games.

Wisconsin took the series lead for the first time after defeating Minnesota 31–0 in the 2017 game; Minnesota had led the overall series since 1902, at times by as many as 20 games.

Regarding Michigan and OSU, I hate to break it to you, but they are not worried about either program except for the week they play either of our programs.

What is the overall record. Now ask yourself how long Wisconsin has had the lead in the series. You might not believe it, but it hasn't been long at all. And I'm talking over 131 games.

Wisconsin took the series lead for the first time after defeating Minnesota 31–0 in the 2017 game; Minnesota had led the overall series since 1902, at times by as many as 20 games.

Regarding Michigan and OSU, I hate to break it to you, but they are not worried about either program except for the week they play either of our programs.
*mic drop*

Feel like getting this as a true home and home and not a neutral site thing is kind of a big deal.
Yeah seems like Bama and most of the other SEC powers won't play true road games above the Mason-Dixon line. But we're Minnesota, Big Ten, and should insist on a fair deal. Even with Bama.

Now the band has 10 years to learn Rocky Top for the Tide's visit.

I've heard you're right about the bears, but as far as the badgers, are you maybe reading the opinions of people that are NOT alumni of WI? I don't doubt there's some contingent of idiot fans in WI that don't understand college football. Here we call those Vikings fans.

I've heard you're right about the bears, but as far as the badgers, are you maybe reading the opinions of people that are NOT alumni of WI? I don't doubt there's some contingent of idiot fans in WI that don't understand college football. Here we call those Vikings fans.
Yeah the the badger fans really hated Minnesota when they kicked the shit out of them for what was it like 16 years in a row. Win some games and the rivalry will come back. I know they have won 2 of last 4 but it takes more than that. Where the hate and rivalry comes in would be like a situation where you had to just beat one team to go to the big ten title and at worst you get the rose bowl but your hated rival beat that ass 38-17 on your turf with college game day there. I get why Minnesota hates Wisconsin but it’s a one way street me boy.

I looked at Bama's schedule....had to go back to 2011 to find a game at Penn State where they actually travelled north to the other teams site. All their other Power 5 non conf games I could find were either in the South or in a neutral site.

So yeah, them agreeing to play up here is definitely not the norm for them. They don't shy away from playing power 5 teams but it rarely seems to be a true road game for them.
You can’t argue that SEC teams haven’t traditionally traveled outside the South, but you will not be able to say that anymore. Alabama’s future non-conference opponents are home and home deals with….
Wisconsin
Ohio state
Notre Dame
Arizona
West Virginia
Minnesota
Boston College

Go look at almost any SEC team’s future schedules and you will see the same thing. They travel now, and actually have been for about the last 3-4 years. Even Florida, who has been hands down the worst for not leaving the South, is doing so in the future. It would appear the league as a whole is making an effort to change that image.

Yeah seems like Bama and most of the other SEC powers won't play true road games above the Mason-Dixon line. But we're Minnesota, Big Ten, and should insist on a fair deal. Even with Bama.

Now the band has 10 years to learn Rocky Top for the Tide's visit.
This might be the worst face plant of a post in GH history.

Dead wrong about bama, and Rocky Top is Tennessee.

Well done sir. GH hall of fame bad.

The post wasn't that far off.

- For years, thought that Georgia, Florida and Alabama barely left the South to play except for Bowl Games? They would play in neutral field games usually not far from home.

- Playing "Rocky Top" was a reference to the Music City Bowl against Alabama. When the Gopher Band played Rocky Top as a salute to Nashville and their Tennessee hosts. Crimson Tide fans got pretty p.o.ed about it.

Last edited:

You can’t argue that SEC teams haven’t traditionally traveled outside the South, but you will not be able to say that anymore. Alabama’s future non-conference opponents are home and home deals with….
Wisconsin
Ohio state
Notre Dame
Arizona
West Virginia
Minnesota
Boston College

Go look at almost any SEC team’s future schedules and you will see the same thing. They travel now, and actually have been for about the last 3-4 years. Even Florida, who has been hands down the worst for not leaving the South, is doing so in the future. It would appear the league as a whole is making an effort to change that image.

True, See the link in the O.P. or post number 53. ;)

Yeah the the badger fans really hated Minnesota when they kicked the shit out of them for what was it like 16 years in a row. Win some games and the rivalry will come back. I know they have won 2 of last 4 but it takes more than that. Where the hate and rivalry comes in would be like a situation where you had to just beat one team to go to the big ten title and at worst you get the rose bowl but your hated rival beat that ass 38-17 on your turf with college game day there. I get why Minnesota hates Wisconsin but it’s a one way street me boy.
Talk crap about the wins all you want, that’s fair game and you guys have plenty of ammo there, but doing the “we don’t care about you” act is pathetic. There’s a reason Buckyville has a long running thread dedicated to all things Minnesota & PJ. I don’t pretend to not hate Badger hockey even though they’ve been terrible for so long, I still love beating the crap out of that team.

The funniest thing about this post is that Ohio state has lost to Wisconsin exactly 4 times since 2000

Talk crap about the wins all you want, that’s fair game and you guys have plenty of ammo there, but doing the “we don’t care about you” act is pathetic. There’s a reason Buckyville has a long running thread dedicated to all things Minnesota & PJ. I don’t pretend to not hate Badger hockey even though they’ve been terrible for so long, I still love beating the crap out of that team.
If that makes it easier for you that’s cool. I can’t speak for the state of wisconsin either as I said no reason to hate them. I like college hockey also( not as much since the big ten) don’t hate the gophers now and yep, They have been the better team for awhile. So it’s not fake anything guy, I actually like drag racing a ton more than sports and I hate mustangs so I guess we all have our issues.

The funniest thing about this post is that Ohio state has lost to Wisconsin exactly 4 times since 2000
Yep and they probably don’t hate Wisconsin at all because they are no threat. Thanks for making my point.

Turns out you're the award winner Fly Boy
dbag.jpg

I wonder if people are writing on the Alabama thread about why are they scheduling MN when they can barely beat the team in Maroon from Texas? Last year we had OSU on the ropes for 3 Quarters. Our problem is not that we are not elite, but we don't have the talent level to make up for any inconsistences. It is why PJ demands excellence, because at the 3* level you need to be perfect every quarter to win them all. However, when we put a perfect game together we can beat anyone. My feeling is that this is what our program will be until we start getting 4* recruits. Games like these will help us get those 4* and possibly a 5*. Plus, NIL money will be easier to get when you keep adding big games with national exposure.

Top Bottom