Gophers schedule a home and home with…

May be incorrect but the Sarcasto-Meter reads like this for amk's post...
1665513175274.png
Was afraid it was going to break but stayed just within specified wit tolerances...

Fun fact:

The only big ten team to be undefeated by Alabama?

MINNESOTA..... *some big ten teams have never played bama but of the teams that have, we are the only one that has always beaten them.....
Did they have airplanes when that last happened? Or was is horses to get to the game.

May be incorrect but the Sarcasto-Meter reads like this for amk's post...
View attachment 21053
Was afraid it was going to break but stayed just within specified wit tolerances...
Some of it might’ve been heat of the moment and need to blow off steam/anger over this, but many parts were not.

This year is heading for a nosedive like the Twins did (had to play good teams and got pounded) and Vikings will once they play good teams after their bye week (will be tested this week too and have nearly lost 4 out of 5 games so far). The Gophers are doing this now and will be lucky to win another game, no bowl game/lose if they get there.

When it comes to the schedule, this is where the problem lies. Like we can’t even beat Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. even somewhat regularly. Yet, we go ahead and schedule Alabama? How is getting killed by them in two years going to make recruits want to come here? We aren’t just going to wake up and knock off this generation’s best team. This is like when big SEC schools schedule an FCS school to beat up on and pad stats. Only this time Minnesota is the little FCS school. This hurts the program more than it helps.

somewhere out there in this great country of ours, is a little 9- or 10-year old boy. That boy does not know it yet, but in 2032, that boy will be the starting QB for the MN Gophers when they face Alabama.

now, just for fun: the next time you see a 9- or 10-year old boy, try to envision him in a Gopher uniform preparing to take the snap from center.

look, the way the college sports scene is changing, things could look totally different in 10 years, in terms of conferences, TV deals, NIL and more.

hopefully, there will still be some version of Gopher Hole still operating so those of us who are still alive can argue about it.

I’ve seen this before. Saban will be gone, Alabama will fall off in the late 2020’s, and the Strib comment section will be full of ignorant “fans” complaining about the Gopher’s cupcake schedule, again.
Alabama will be Colorado in 10 years.

Some of it might’ve been heat of the moment and need to blow off steam/annger over this, but other parts were not. Like we can’t even beat Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. even somewhat regularly. Yet, we go ahead and schedule Alabama? How is getting killed by them in two years going to make recruits want to come here? We aren’t just going to wake up and knock off this generation’s best team. This is like when big SEC schools schedule an FCS school to beat up on and pad stats. Only this time Minnesota is the little FCS school. This hurts the program more than it helps.
You might be right but if this program is headed in the right direction it might be ok also. The badgers played lsu in a 2 game series a few years back when lsu was still a big time contender in the sec. Lost a close one at the end and won the second. They also played well against Alabama. If the gophers are on the right track as many feel this might be ok. Doubt Alabama will be as good as they are after Sabin is out. But I get your point also.

Some of it might’ve been heat of the moment and need to blow off steam/anger over this, but many parts were not.

This year is heading for a nosedive like the Twins did (had to play good teams and got pounded) and Vikings will once they play good teams after their bye week (will be tested this week too and have nearly lost 4 out of 5 games so far). The Gophers are doing this now and will be lucky to win another game, no bowl game/lose if they get there.

When it comes to the schedule, this is where the problem lies. Like we can’t even beat Purdue, Iowa, Illinois, Penn State, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. even somewhat regularly. Yet, we go ahead and schedule Alabama? How is getting killed by them in two years going to make recruits want to come here? We aren’t just going to wake up and knock off this generation’s best team. This is like when big SEC schools schedule an FCS school to beat up on and pad stats. Only this time Minnesota is the little FCS school. This hurts the program more than it helps.
I don't know if we'll go to Indy, but we will go bowling.

I can't believe we got Alabama to come up to Minneapolis. That's a huge win.
This may come as a shock to a great many, but Minnesota's football program is looked upon far more favorably by other coaches and ADs (aka, those actually in the business) than by fans and the media. There has been respect for the Gopher program this entire century, generally. Fans would be surprised at this since their own view of the program, especially THIS one, tends to swing wildly based on their last game.

Great passion for the program amk that I think all GHer's prize.

At least as I understand both Coach Fleck's and the AD's vision, these are the contests that we want to have nationally. I think U2Gopher and myself would prefer Georgia (as Georgia natives), but Alabama is right there too.

Like many have said who knows whether either team is any good in 2032 and 2033. Certainly hope the Gophers are. However, we did beat 'Bama in the bowl game where we were not favored against a middling Crimson Tide in those days.

I'm far more worried about the Illini on Saturday and even myself got triggered by the game announcement earlier this week for the PSU Whiteout Game on the horizon. So I feel you there...

As a "glass half-full" Gopher fan I welcome the news but fully recognize it may be a disaster in 11 years... Skol...

You might be right but if this program is headed in the right direction it might be ok also. The badgers played lsu in a 2 game series a few years back when lsu was still a big time contender in the sec. Lost a close one at the end and won the second. They also played well against Alabama. If the gophers are on the right track as many feel this might be ok. Doubt Alabama will be as good as they are after Sabin is out. But I get your point also.
The problem also is that when Wisconsin scheduled Alabama and played those games versus LSU they were going to Rose Bowls, Big Ten titles, and even national title talk. The Gophers are no where near that level of talk or even won a Big Ten title. Yet, we go ahead and schedule Bama? If Wisconsin could win and play them close when they were really good, and Minnesota is no where near that level as they lost to Wisconsin easily during those years, then the Gophers will be blown out. It’s bang on your head on the wall stupid.

The problem also is that when Wisconsin scheduled Alabama and played those games versus LSU they were going to Rose Bowls, Big Ten titles, and even national title talk. The Gophers are no where near that level of talk or even won a Big Ten title. Yet, we go ahead and schedule Bama? If Wisconsin could win and play them close when they were really good, and Minnesota is no where near that level as they lost to Wisconsin easily during those years, then the Gophers will be blown out. It’s bang on your head on the wall stupid.
Fair point

It’s entirely possible Bama is just your typical perennial top 25 program in 10 years. Dynasty’s like theirs don’t last forever. Everything is on the table after Saban hangs it up.

Umm, I will grant you that the Gophers have had trouble beating Iowa regularly since 2017.

Purdue - Had won 4 straight before this year.
Nebraska - Have won 4 out of 5.
Penn St - Won the only game in the last 5 years.
Wisconsin - 2 out of 5.

Hurting the program more than it helps? Seriously? Great selling point to recruits as well as helps the season ticket holder base.

If you're afraid, go buy a dog.

Great passion for the program amk that I think all GHer's prize.

At least as I understand both Coach Fleck's and the AD's vision, these are the contests that we want to have nationally. I think U2Gopher and myself would prefer Georgia (as Georgia natives), but Alabama is right there too.

Like many have said who knows whether either team is any good in 2032 and 2033. Certainly hope the Gophers are. However, we did beat 'Bama in the bowl game where we were not favored against a middling Crimson Tide in those days.

I'm far more worried about the Illini on Saturday and even myself got triggered by the game announcement earlier this week for the PSU Whiteout Game on the horizon. So I feel you there...

As a "glass half-full" Gopher fan I welcome the news but fully recognize it may be a disaster in 11 years... Skol...
I hope you are right and that things might be better for for the Gophers in the years to come and they can possibly pull an upset like they did in the Music City bowl years ago versus Alabama.

I also feel right now though, as a glass half empty person, this week and next will go terribly based off history, versus Purdue result, Minnesota sports, etc.

I hope the Gophers are good enough to win and can make a bowl game, win a bowl game, etc. as well as other Minnesota sports teams. However, growing up with big game loss after loss and heartbreak with bowl game loss after loss after loss, etc. it just doesn’t seem like the future is bright at all. Not to mention next year seems like it will go down the tubes with all the people we are losing on offense, defense, etc.

Basically there is no joy in Mudville and there never will be. 😣😔

Umm, I will grant you that the Gophers have had trouble beating Iowa regularly since 2017.

Purdue - Had won 4 straight before this year.
Nebraska - Have won 4 out of 5.
Penn St - Won the only game in the last 5 years.
Wisconsin - 2 out of 5.

Hurting the program more than it helps? Seriously? Great selling point to recruits as well as helps the season ticket holder base.

If you're afraid, go buy a dog.
No fair bringing facts into the discussion.

I'll be there in 2032. I'll pour one out for the gopher holers who won't be with us then.

Who will be paying who on this series you guys think? Think UMN will be the one paying Alabama?

Top Bottom