Gophers Recruiting CB Avante Dickerson Again Now That He's In Portal

Still a long way to go before the LOI is signed but not only can Fleck recruit he can coach too

Not a bad combination to have.

Excellent week of recruiting. PJ pushing to be a challenger in the West, and perhaps the B1G, for the next several years.

247 says:
https://247sports.com/Article/Minne...vante-Dickerson-Monster-Commitment-146172807/

Dickerson is the second-highest ranked recruit to choose the Gophers in the 247Sports era dating back to 2009 (Jeff Jones), and the highest of the Fleck era as he’s tabbed by the Top247 as the nation’s No. 53 prospect overall. His pledge boosts this Minnesota class up eight spots to No. 7 nationally in the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

I don't have any idea whether the commitment will stick until signing day, but I don't get the posters there claiming the verbal is flimsy because it must be the result of PJ's high pressure recruiting techniques. Huh? What leverage does Minnesota have over a kid with that offer list? "If you don't agree to be the highest-rated player I've recruitted to Minnesota, we are going to have to move on down our list and we might not have a spot for you later." SMH
I’m not buying all the pressure stuff either. I think PJ can relate to these kids and their families and when you add in the fact that he can coach, recruits and their families are taking notice. Fleck is doing a phenomenal job!!! More please!

Having said all of that, I can’t help but be nervous about players who commit without ever stepping a foot on campus. Most will probably hold but I wouldn’t be shocked to see one or two change their mind. The great thing is that if that happens, PJ always seems to have a backup plan.

Not only the 2nd highest rated Gopher commit in the Internet era, but the highest rated player from the state of Nebraska in that same period.

Jeez.

I managed to sneak into a Zoom call with PJ and a croot ... here is what I saw:

Hypnotoad.gif
All Hail the HypnoFleck!!

Not only the 2nd highest rated Gopher commit in the Internet era, but the highest rated player from the state of Nebraska in that same period.

Jeez.

Wow, I didn’t know that. No wonder they’re so bitter! Honestly, we probably would be too, if the situation was reversed. It’s good to be on this side of one of these for a change.

Wow, I didn’t know that. No wonder they’re so bitter! Honestly, we probably would be too, if the situation was reversed. It’s good to be on this side of one of these for a change.
It's gotta suck being Nebraska right now, a steady slide downward. They're hoping that if things go there way next season, they might be eligible for a bowl game. At least when they had Bo as their coach, it made for interesting post-game press conferences. Frost has all the personality of a doormat.

Also, the more high caliber recruits that commit to this class, the less likely it is for the others to decommit IMO. It's easy to decommit as the only 4 star in the class, but when 3, 4, or 5 others join the class you're gonna want to stay to get to be their team mate.

This is truly mind-boggling if it holds - over LSU and Ohio State, too! I well remember how Nebraska poached top Minnesota players for its national championship teams in the 70s. Going 11-2 last fall has changed things.

Why would a high school offense test fate by throwing in his direction. Dumb!

It's gotta suck being Nebraska right now, a steady slide downward. They're hoping that if things go there way next season, they might be eligible for a bowl game. At least when they had Bo as their coach, it made for interesting post-game press conferences. Frost has all the personality of a doormat.

If you browse HuskerMax for amusement, what is interesting to me is the disbelief that a recruit views Minnesota as attractive over Nebraska. THIS is part of their delusion.

I know that many of us on this board have spent time in Lincoln, and tailgating there is amusing, but beyond that, Lincoln and the state of Nebraska do not hold a candle to Minnesota & the Twin Cities. Nevermind disparity in quality of education on top of it.

These recruits were not even alive the last time Nebraska football was relevant.
Bottom line, the University of Minnesota is now better landing place. Husker fans need to wake up and smell the coffee.

I realize he's a corner, not a linebacker of even a strong safety.

But my question is: what are the opinions of how he plays the run? How well does he engage/shed blockers and how well does he tackle? Is he physical? (again, relatively speaking, he is a corner)

Only ask because on the Husker board, one poster was very confidently trying to frame him as (I'm paraphrasing here) "he's a great athlete, very fast, but he plays football like a soccer player".

Could just be sour grapes, of course. But I'm just wondering. Maybe the tape speaks for itself, here?

But my question is: what are the opinions of how he plays the run? How well does he engage/shed blockers and how well does he tackle? Is he physical? (again, relatively speaking, he is a corner)

Only ask because on the Husker board, one poster was very confidently trying to frame him as (I'm paraphrasing here) "he's a great athlete, very fast, but he plays football like a soccer player".

Could just be sour grapes, of course. But I'm just wondering. Maybe the tape speaks for itself, here?
"plays football like a soccer player" is equivalent to when people on here say "we cooled on him"

sour grapes for sure

but the clips I have seen you don't of course see CB highlights of them shedding blockers. so who knows

If you browse HuskerMax for amusement, what is interesting to me is the disbelief that a recruit views Minnesota as attractive over Nebraska. THIS is part of their delusion.

I know that many of us on this board have spent time in Lincoln, and tailgating there is amusing, but beyond that, Lincoln and the state of Nebraska do not hold a candle to Minnesota & the Twin Cities. Nevermind disparity in quality of education on top of it.

These recruits were not even alive the last time Nebraska football was relevant.
Bottom line, the University of Minnesota is now better landing place. Husker fans need to wake up and smell the coffee.
Lincoln, Iowa City, and Madison, are all the same type of place: relatively small-ish, college town, big football stadium, bunch of white people.

I can totally understand why a recruit might want to go to a place with more culture.

"plays football like a soccer player" is equivalent to when people on here say "we cooled on him"

sour grapes for sure

but the clips I have seen you don't of course see CB highlights of them shedding blockers. so who knows
Making a big tackle to cause a fumble could be a highlight, I guess. But I suppose for a cb it's mostly going to be a display of interceptions and speed.

sour grapes for sure

Hard to say, but he’s a running back, so he’s probably not afraid of contact. His highlights show him breaking some tackles, and even a pancake block. That said, speed and quick change of direction is his game, while Ortiz is the bruiser. Dickerson is only 165 lbs. He’ll need to put on 20-30. I’m not worried about it.

I'd be alright with a shut-down soccer player on the outside pickin' off some passes

Didn't he also play a little RB in high school? Take a couple hits there

You can always find someone willing to be negative about anything if you look for it.

If he is just a soccer player playing football then all the services and a whole slew of helmet schools apparently have no clue what they are doing. You don't amass an offer list like the one this kid has unless there is some very obvious talent there. Doesn't mean he is a sure thing but clearly many many teams like what they see in this kid even if this particular fan doesn't think he is any good.

Think I will lean towards the evaluation of the coaches and recruiting sites over the Husker fan on this one.

sour grapes for sure

I played both football and soccer. I got far more injuries in soccer.

Top Bottom