Gophers Recruiting CB Avante Dickerson Again Now That He's In Portal

The Gophers have received a commitment from four-star Omaha, Nebraska cornerback Avante Dickerson. He held offers from Nebraska, Oregon, Georgia, Iowa, LSU, Ohio State, Texas and others.
Dickerson, a four-star prospect, is the top recruit in Nebraska, according to 24/7 Sports. He becomes the program’s second-highest rated commit (0.9609) of the internet era, per 24/7 Sports data. Dickerson is the No. 6 cornerback in the nation and joins four-star Arizona defensive back Steven Ortiz in the 2021 class. P.J. Fleck and his staff continue to raise the bar in recruiting. When everything is complete, the 2021 class is shaping up to be the best in school history.

Dickerson posted 21 tackles, 11 pass breakups and four interceptions last season. He also ran a blistering 4.16 shuttle, according to The Opening Regional’s data. You see all of this agility and quickness within his film clips. He moves really well and changes direction on a dime. Dickerson has a knack for finding the football and gets into passing lanes. His transition quickness from backpedal to opening his hips is excellent. I pulled the clips below to show how well he uses his speed/agility to recover and break up the pass. Dickerson is a very smooth player and will be a cornerstone of Minnesota’s secondary.

Dickerson is also a versatile offensive player and thrived at both running back and wide receiver.

The Gophers are quickly building a dominant secondary. With Dickerson on the perimeter and Ortiz Jr. playing the slot, teams will have trouble passing on Minnesota.

Here’s a look at his film:

Wrong HUDL highlight

Up to the number 7 class in the country... insane! Obviously will change a bit once the big boys get going but it's crazy to see us at this level.

Goodness.... what is going on at Minnesota! This is insane!

This is some NASTY recruiting....

aVOSkIC.gif

how can anyone pass up a Frost offer ??
speaking of offers, doesn't neb have hundreds of offers out ?

pulling top kid out of Frosts backyard

Nice!
This is the second best part of this (the obvious first best being that he committed here).

How pissed is Frost right now?? Can't even get a top recruit, from Omaha, to go to the University of Nebraska.

How far as Nebraska football fallen??? Hopefully, 5-7 is the new normal for them.

Wonderful news! In my (surely incorrect!) memory, the last time we beat out OSU for a recruit was Carter Coughlin. Is that right?

Salty rumor mill is he really wants to go somewhere down south and Neb wasn't going to waste their time on him if he was going to bolt on them like he is sure to do to MN.

For the record not my take, just some salt I've seen elsewhere.

Who is he waiting on then? He has offers from LSU, Ole Miss, Texas, USC....seems like if he was looking to go down south the options were there for him. Have no doubt we will have to sweat it out on this one but kid has some big time offers already so not a lot of places that can come calling at this point that have not been already.

edit - I know you were just posting Husker board stuff....definite sour grapes over there and they can't be happy to see a school like Minnesota who they feel is far inferior to them come into their backyard and get a commit from the #1 guy in the state.

Okay, this one surprises me a bit as I figured he was a Husker all the way.

With that said, I'm not so surprised that I'm totally shocked. Fleck has shown he can recruit.

Still a long way to go until the ink is dry on the LOI, but obviously a big get for the program if it sticks! :)

Wonderful news! In my (surely incorrect!) memory, the last time we beat out OSU for a recruit was Carter Coughlin. Is that right?

That sounds right. I don't think Bateman had many other Northern offers and I don't believe Winfield ever got one from OSU

The most consistent thing I keep reading from other fan basis is that Fleck pressures (I'm sure most of you have heard the same things) these kids into committing. I assume that is true to a point, but it seems to be working if that is indeed what is happening.

Who is he waiting on then? He has offers from LSU, Ole Miss, Texas, USC....seems like if he was looking to go down south the options were there for him. Have no doubt we will have to sweat it out on this one but kid has some big time offers already so not a lot of places that can come calling at this point that have not been already.

edit - I know you were just posting Husker board stuff....definite sour grapes over there and they can't be happy to see a school like Minnesota who they feel is far inferior to them come into their backyard and get a commit from the #1 guy in the state.

Agreed. Let's also remember we were the 2nd to school (only Iowa State was earlier) to offer Dickerson back in Jan 2019. So PJ and staff have had a lot of time to build their relationship with him. And we know that is where PJ crushes it: relationships and energy

I wish I could read the pay site husker board meltdown

i normally don't go to other teams boards, but checked out a husker board. It's not going over too well

Fleck is a douche used car salesman, etc

Few self aware people that Nebraska hasn't been a power house and locals aren't in love with Nebraska as they grew up with middle of road nebraska football

That sounds right. I don't think Bateman had many other Northern offers and I don't believe Winfield ever got one from OSU

correct. I think he was waiting for tOHSU offer that never came.

Glad tOHSU never offered

back to 2021

The most consistent thing I keep reading from other fan basis is that Fleck pressures (I'm sure most of you have heard the same things) these kids into committing. I assume that is true to a point, but it seems to be working if that is indeed what is happening.

I'm sure there is a healthy amount of pressure, but I think as much pressure is being created when very interested kids keep seeing these other commits coming in and they know the boat is filling up. PJ has also been extremely good at keeping the commitments that we really want down the stretch the last few years. I'm sure there have been one or two that we weren't okay with them de-committing, but for the most part I don't remember losing too many big fish.

Another thing that "came out" I believe closer to when he first got here, is that he goes in early with offers. More of a G5 style, I guess.

Iowa's OC (Ferentz's son) was on their radio program complaining about him as well as Iowa State's coach doing that, whereas Iowa sits and waits back a while and more choosy with offers.

i normally don't go to other teams boards, but checked out a husker board. It's not going over too well

Fleck is a douche used car salesman, etc

Few self aware people that Nebraska hasn't been a power house and locals aren't in love with Nebraska as they grew up with middle of road nebraska football

Unfortunately, I think this is similar to what we have experienced with our basketball recruiting and all the local studs in the last 5-7 years.

Top Bottom