Gophers Recruiting CB Avante Dickerson Again Now That He's In Portal

Another thing that "came out" I believe closer to when he first got here, is that he goes in early with offers. More of a G5 style, I guess.

Iowa's OC (Ferentz's son) was on their radio program complaining about him as well as Iowa State's coach doing that, whereas Iowa sits and waits back a while and more choosy with offers.

PJ Fleck thinks either you want to be a Gopher or not. If you do, why wait because he won't reserve a spot normally.

You can read the HUsker Online Board:

It's payback for Bryce Benhart.

PJ Fleck is delivering his promise!

He is the best virtual reality recruiter in the country!

Maybe they can save a ton of money on jet fuel and stick to this recruiting format. The thing is he gets the entire family engaged with all the position coaches. He shows the Gophers campus in virtual reality, and the coaches all shower the kids with a ton of love.

Man, LOTS of people sure the commitment won't hold on there. I mean, HAS to be the case, right? No way MINNESOTA has more national sizzle and better recruiters than Nebraska! :p

I duno, even Bama and LSU fans celebrate their 4* pickups pretty dramatically.
I believe that when Bama and LSU grab a 4 star recruit, the services often will change them to a 5 star recruit. There was a lineman from Woodbury (?) a few years ago, and that is what happened to him. I can't recall his name.

I believe that when Bama and LSU grab a 4 star recruit, the services often will change them to a 5 star recruit. There was a lineman from Woodbury (?) a few years ago, and that is what happened to him. I can't recall his name.

JC Hassenauer from East Ridge. I believe he is on the Steelers now

You're right, think it was East Ridge. Maybe a center? Or ended up playing center for them, and possibly the NFL now too?

If I recall, they only knew of him because he voluntarily went down to their camp, but he impressed them there. I doubt Bama would ever come to Mpls to recruit a player unless they were legit top 30 in the country. Could be wrong.

It happens, but maybe it isn't unwarranted sometime.

Bama picked up a 3* today .... dude's offer list looks a hell of a lot better than 3*.

You can read the HUsker Online Board:
I don't have any idea whether the commitment will stick until signing day, but I don't get the posters there claiming the verbal is flimsy because it must be the result of PJ's high pressure recruiting techniques. Huh? What leverage does Minnesota have over a kid with that offer list? "If you don't agree to be the highest-rated player I've recruitted to Minnesota, we are going to have to move on down our list and we might not have a spot for you later." SMH

Peeked at the Nebraska board. I don't post anywhere else by the way. Yes many saying that the commit won't hold. Also Fleck is a used car salesman and Bryce Benhart's family will testify that Fleck puts a lot of pressure on the players to commit but Benhart didn't buy into any that crap. Couple supporting the Gophers as we've done well lately whereas the Huskers haven't done so well. Also can't get over the fact that players are committing here without stepping foot on our campus.

Much sour grape there.

Nebraska twitter saying they didn’t need him because they are so loaded at DB

Peeked at the Nebraska board. I don't post anywhere else by the way. Yes many saying that the commit won't hold. Also Fleck is a used car salesman and Bryce Benhart's family will testify that Fleck puts a lot of pressure on the players to commit but Benhart didn't buy into any that crap. Couple supporting the Gophers as we've done well lately whereas the Huskers haven't done so well. Also can't get over the fact that players are committing here without stepping foot on our campus.

Much sour grape there.

How the hell is Fleck putting the pressure on all of the recent commits? They can't even come to campus. It was always Fleck put all this pressure on you and wouldn't let you leave campus without a commit.

What is he doing now? Threatening to leave their zoom meeting or something if they don't commit? LMAO

This week has been fantastic for Gopher recruiting!! Excited to see them start playing again whenever that happens.

Makes me think of our current turnaround and the similarities to the Husker program......Nebraska was 20 years removed from the national spotlight when they hired former QB Scott Frost.

In 1979 the Gophers were more or less 20 years removed from the National Spotlight (1960 team) and hired former Gopher QB Smokey Joe Salem. Salem was nowhere near the QB that Frost was but he had played on a National CH Gopher team and had a similar coaching path as Frost had to Nebraska. I guess Sandy Stephens would be our Scott Frost and I think Salem was Stephens back up? Tony Dungy was smart to never take the Gopher job. Frost was/is not as smart as Dungy in hindsight. I think Frost admitted to never taking the job had he known the level of mediocrity at Nebraska.

I remember Salem being billed as the guy to bring the Gophers back to the Rose Bowl and win the Big Ten. Now the Huskers, 20 years removed from their glory years are heading down the same mediocre path as the Gophers traveled the past 20 years. The Huskers should have hired a true nationally known coach, maybe Urban Meyer or Nick Saban etc if they were serious about this restoration project. Or bring in a young upcoming coach, the next Urban Meyer or Nick Saban with zero ties to The Huskers. Forget about this romantic story and bringing back the former Husker great crap.

We did hire that upcoming young coach and he is looking good right now.

Cal Stoll = Bo Pelini

Scott Frost = Joe Salem = Jim Harbaugh. I have said this for a couple years now.

PJ Fleck = ? Closer to Saban and Meyer than you want to admit. At minimum he is Barry Alvarez 2.0 but more like Bernie Bierman, Murray Warmath or Jim Tressel 2.0. The last 3 won National Championships.

Attachments

• Floyd-of-Rosedale-1960s.jpg
    Floyd-of-Rosedale-1960s.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 6

The most consistent thing I keep reading from other fan basis is that Fleck pressures (I'm sure most of you have heard the same things) these kids into committing. I assume that is true to a point, but it seems to be working if that is indeed what is happening.
I've never bought that.
- First off we don't have an abnormal amount of decommits and especially ones that end up at 'better' or comparable schools.
- The other thing is that they essentially take a kid off their commit list if they visit elsewhere. That doesn't jive with the strategy of pressuring a kid to commit. Why pressure them to commit before they're ready AND pull their spot when they visit elsewhere which is inevitable with that type of strategy. - Also it's documented that Fleck won't accept a commitment from a kid without a parent involved.
- Its also documented that he's told recruits who want to commit to think it over and be sure that's what they want to do
- Fleck emphasizes his culture and speaks about how its not for everyone. That means that there are certain people who it won't be for and kids have to really be bought in to stick. Why then pressure kids who aren't actually bought in yet?
- I do fully believe that when there are multiple kids they have rated about the same Fleck lets them know that it's first come first serve. We've heard that before. Its a 'hey we like you but we're recruiting 2 other guys at this spot and we only have room for 1 so if this is where you want to be let us know quickly because it's first come first serve'.
The whole 'pressure' thing is sour grapes from Rival fans IMO. It's always hilarious how fans of other schools seem to know more about MN recruiting practices than MN fans lol

Much sour grape there.

That's fine. The kid has his next four years to enjoy going 5-7 every year and not sniffing a meaningful bowl game.

Fleck is doing a great job. Great programs are built by great coaches. Every step in the right direction is a productive step. It's nice to have a few leaps in between.

I've never bought that.
- First off we don't have an abnormal amount of decommits and especially ones that end up at 'better' or comparable schools.
- The other thing is that they essentially take a kid off their commit list if they visit elsewhere. That doesn't jive with the strategy of pressuring a kid to commit. Why pressure them to commit before they're ready AND pull their spot when they visit elsewhere which is inevitable with that type of strategy. - Also it's documented that Fleck won't accept a commitment from a kid without a parent involved.
- Its also documented that he's told recruits who want to commit to think it over and be sure that's what they want to do
- Fleck emphasizes his culture and speaks about how its not for everyone. That means that there are certain people who it won't be for and kids have to really be bought in to stick. Why then pressure kids who aren't actually bought in yet?
- I do fully believe that when there are multiple kids they have rated about the same Fleck lets them know that it's first come first serve. We've heard that before. Its a 'hey we like you but we're recruiting 2 other guys at this spot and we only have room for 1 so if this is where you want to be let us know quickly because it's first come first serve'.
The whole 'pressure' thing is sour grapes from Rival fans IMO. It's always hilarious how fans of other schools seem to know more about MN recruiting practices than MN fans lol
Very well thought out post

Top Bottom