Gophers Recruiting CB Avante Dickerson Again Now That He's In Portal

The most consistent thing I keep reading from other fan basis is that Fleck pressures (I'm sure most of you have heard the same things) these kids into committing. I assume that is true to a point, but it seems to be working if that is indeed what is happening.
I don't think a top 60 player in the country would give into pressure from Minnesota.

I'm sure there is a healthy amount of pressure, but I think as much pressure is being created when very interested kids keep seeing these other commits coming in and they know the boat is filling up. PJ has also been extremely good at keeping the commitments that we really want down the stretch the last few years. I'm sure there have been one or two that we weren't okay with them de-committing, but for the most part I don't remember losing too many big fish.

I don't think pressure would apply in a case like this where a kid has offers from a ton of helmet schools to "fall back" on. :)

The most consistent thing I keep reading from other fan basis is that Fleck pressures (I'm sure most of you have heard the same things) these kids into committing. I assume that is true to a point, but it seems to be working if that is indeed what is happening.

He's an intense dude, that might be intimidating or even off putting to some folks... but outside of stating the facts that the offer is as PJ says "first come first serve" then ... that's just how it is.

Dude is offering a resource that is in demand and somewhat limited.

The best part of all of this is that eventually this summer, travel restrictions will be lifted and PJ will fly all these commits and targets in for a mutual weekend visit (first time to MN for many of them) and blow their socks off with a weekend of boating, BBQs and bonding to really cement everything!

The best part of all of this is that eventually this summer, travel restrictions will be lifted and PJ will fly all these commits and targets in for a mutual weekend visit (first time to MN for many of them) and blow their socks off with a weekend of boating, BBQs and bonding to really cement everything!
WARM UP THE BBQ!

I don't think pressure would apply in a case like this where a kid has offers from a ton of helmet schools to "fall back" on. :)

That's very true. I guess I was speaking to the overall rush of commitments lately - not as much for Dickerson. It's more likely that Dickerson is feeling the vibes of what's going on and wants to get on board (like Ortiz) and help pull more guys into the boat.

He's an intense dude, that might be intimidating or even off putting to some folks... but outside of stating the facts that the offer is as PJ says "first come first serve" then ... that's just how it is.

Dude is offering a resource that is in demand and somewhat limited.
I'm just sharing what I've read time after time. I recognize it as jealousy and disbelief.

Kinda funny reading their board, reminds me of ours. People melting down because they don't get every top prospect and others trying to spin it to make it seem like they are better than they are.

EDIT this would refer to pre 2019 season for the most part

PJ clearly offers something entirely different to these young men and their families. He doesn't use the same techniques as everyone else and preaches different priorities. This seems to hit home with some (not all) young men and we're seeing the benefits of PJ's approach. My goodness, this is fun!

Oh my goodness!!! This class is unreal, and can only imagine it’s going to get better as Minnesota becomes more and more Feasible to be a national championship caliber team!!

Who is he waiting on then? He has offers from LSU, Ole Miss, Texas, USC....seems like if he was looking to go down south the options were there for him. Have no doubt we will have to sweat it out on this one but kid has some big time offers already so not a lot of places that can come calling at this point that have not been already.

edit - I know you were just posting Husker board stuff....definite sour grapes over there and they can't be happy to see a school like Minnesota who they feel is far inferior to them come into their backyard and get a commit from the #1 guy in the state.

"He wants to go down south but only has offers from the entire SEC, multiple Texas schools, USC and some florida schools. He is waiting to get really south, like Venezuela. Minnesota is just a backup plan because they are south of parts of Canada"

Yeah I'm not buying into this pressure thing at all. This is crazy though! Pullin' Ortiz and now Dickerson within about a week. That's such trash to immediately start talking about when a kid might de-commit immediately after committing. I'm not worrying about it, they're committed, they have there families making these decisions with them. Let's keep rollin'!

Let's Go Baby! RTB!

1587154236734.png

Kinda funny reading their board, reminds me of ours. People melting down because they don't get every top prospect and others trying to spin it to make it seem like they are better than they are.

EDIT this would refer to pre 2019 season for the most part

Yeah, fan bases are similar. I just get bugged when local kids go to nearby Iowa/Wisconsin. I understand Notre Dame, tOHSU, etc....

If I were a nebraska fan, losing to him to LSU, fine, losing him to MN...whoa. I get it

I love the pressure comments. PJ, via a phone call/zoom, pressured kids and th who could go to nearly any school in the country for free, and their families, into giving him a commitment AND announcing it online AND doing interviews about it. Incredible sway he has. Imagine if he could use the tried and true tactic of holding a gun to their head in person!

I love the pressure comments. PJ, via a phone call/zoom, pressured kids and th who could go to nearly any school in the country for free, and their families, into giving him a commitment AND announcing it online AND doing interviews about it. Incredible sway he has. Imagine if he could use the tried and true tactic of holding a gun to their head in person!

I managed to sneak into a Zoom call with PJ and a croot ... here is what I saw:

Hypnotoad.gif

If people/opposing fans want to bitch and moan about this, then go ahead.

I guarantee it's a tactic that is used almost universally in college football.

You think the big boys don't pressure kids to commit early? Trust me, college football coaches (especially at the helmet schools) will do next to anything to secure recruits. Take a peak into how recruiting is conducted in the deep south and then get back to me about the unsavory nature of college recruiting.

If this is the worst that P.J. is doing, then I'll take it all day, every day and twice on Sunday.

You think the big boys don't pressure kids to commit early? Trust me, college football coaches (especially at the helmet schools) will do next to anything to secure recruits. Take a peak into how recruiting is conducted in the deep south and then get back to me about the unsavory nature of college recruiting.

If this is the worst that P.J. is doing, then I'll take it all day, every day and twice on Sunday.
Saban & Co. land helicopters on high school football fields.

But i'm sure he's very low pressure ;)

Like you've said, this is what we're hearing consistently about Fleck. In the beginning of his time here, when the recruits were not so highly rated or were being recruited by non-helmet schools I could buy it. But I have a tougher time thinking the likes of Dickerson, Ortiz, Williams (especially when he's flipping from a commitment) are feeling that same pressure-it's not as if they don't have legit, high level offers available whether PJ gives them a deadline or not.

Yeah, fan bases are similar. I just get bugged when local kids go to nearby Iowa/Wisconsin. I understand Notre Dame, tOHSU, etc....

If I were a nebraska fan, losing to him to LSU, fine, losing him to MN...whoa. I get it
I get that too, like it is a bummer but I kinda take it with a grain of salt. Dawson Garcia to Marquette really pissed me off though. I don't mind when its a team that is perennial top 30 or so, rivals are annoying, but like Nebby has sucked for 5 years and we just won 11 games? The school that is the flavor of the day can pull some of those guys, and we might be just that after our season

If there's any "pressure" involved, I'd be willing to bet it's PJ wanting to get guys who are bought into the culture. If someone waffles on a decision and drags it out for months, it's obvious that they aren't completely bought in, and PJ will find someone who is. I doubt he's locking them in a room and telling them "commit now OR ELSE".

Oh, I'm with ya.

Reactions: MRJ

Vip buses from Minnetonka to steak dinner at Murray's followed by Twins game in the suite.

Yep, lots of talk about a visit just like that from last year's class. Man this is fun.

Who is he waiting on then? He has offers from LSU, Ole Miss, Texas, USC....seems like if he was looking to go down south the options were there for him. Have no doubt we will have to sweat it out on this one but kid has some big time offers already so not a lot of places that can come calling at this point that have not been already.

edit - I know you were just posting Husker board stuff....definite sour grapes over there and they can't be happy to see a school like Minnesota who they feel is far inferior to them come into their backyard and get a commit from the #1 guy in the state.
LSU has put a ton of DBs in the NFL and has another first rounder this year IIRC - first time ever we beat out LSU for recruit let alone a reigning national champ? The man is simply an elite Golden recruiter

I wish I could read the pay site husker board meltdown

You can read the HUsker Online Board:

It's payback for Bryce Benhart.

PJ Fleck is delivering his promise!

He is the best virtual reality recruiter in the country!

Maybe they can save a ton of money on jet fuel and stick to this recruiting format. The thing is he gets the entire family engaged with all the position coaches. He shows the Gophers campus in virtual reality, and the coaches all shower the kids with a ton of love.

Top Bottom