Gophers part ways with wide receiver Donovahn Jones

My sources (i.e., the guy that posted twice here) tell me Kill was insisting on SPF 55 and Donny would only use the 30.

I heard he hit on Kill's wife. My source has posted here three times so is more credible.

I heard he hit on Kill's wife. My source has posted here three times so is more credible.

No, it was nothing that despicable. I have it on authority that the team had been told unequivocally to stay away from the theme parks until after the game. DJ disregarded this directive and gate-hopped into Disney World, hoofed straight into FantasyLand, seat-jacked a ride on It's a Small Small World, and refused to disembark for over fifteen cycles. Security was called and an ugly scene ensued with Donald sustaining a broken beak and Pluto being knocked f*ckin Goofy. That's the way I heard it.

No, it was nothing that despicable. I have it on authority that the team had been told unequivocally to stay away from the theme parks until after the game. DJ disregarded this directive and gate-hopped into Disney World, hoofed straight into FantasyLand, seat-jacked a ride on It's a Small Small World, and refused to disembark for over fifteen cycles. Security was called and an ugly scene ensued with Donald sustaining a broken beak and Pluto being knocked f*ckin Goofy. That's the way I heard it.

LOL - Based on your comment above I think we can safely say that you are living in fantasy land.

I heard he was opposed to the Flea Flicker that we're going to run 8-10 times on Thursday

A person on the Citrus Bowl committee came and sat behind us during the third quarter. He was asking me a ton of questions about how we got our tickets, what I paid for them, etc. I was getting a little annoyed with the questioning - there was a game going on, ya know? - but then he asked me what people were saying about the receiver that got sent him. I told him I'd heard two rumors on message boards - he complained to the coaches about playing time (which made zero sense - you don't bring a kid to Orlando, and then send home right away because he complained about playing time), and something else.

Not that it matters anymore, but here's what apparently went down: a magician was hired to perform for the team/travel party the night they arrived. The players had just gotten their per diem, and the magician, during the performance, said he needed a $20 bill. Jones was sitting right there, and one of the assistant coaches told Jones to give the magician $20. Jones said, "no, I'm not giving him my $". The coach said again to give him the $20 bill, that it's just an act, he'd get the money back, etc. Jones got defiant, and before anyone knew it, things escalated quickly to the point where Jones was shouting at the coach and threatening him (may have even nudged the coach - the guy didn't say this specifically, but in describing the situation, the guy said, "a coach is like a police officer - the second you put your hands on him in a threatening manner, even if it's just a brush of the hand, you're done).

As anyone can imagine, the guy said the scene in the room was at first super quiet (there were 200 people in the room, the magician on stage, and all are sitting there watching this go down), then super awkward, and at then finally - all in a matter of a couple minutes (he said it went on and on for seemingly forever) there was definitely fear that a bigger incident was going to happen. Somehow they got Jones to sit down, the coaches convened for two minutes, and that was that - they told Jones he was gone, someone took him out of the room, they want and got his stuff from the hotel room, and off he went to the airport.

According to this guy, the coaches didn't even want to put him on a plane - wanted to put him on a bus back to Atlanta, but rules wouldn't allow it (I'm not sure what the rules are).

In looking back, this guy thought the coach was maybe a little disrespectful with how he handled the situation initially, and said he could have seen a scenario play out where, had Jones just rolled with the initial request, or calmed down, the Coach later would have said to him, "hey, I didn't mean to put you on the spot - I'm sorry about that". But he said - based on Jones's response/actions - the coaches absolutely had to do what they did.

He said Jones was in Orlando for basically four hours, and then he was gone - just like that. He's booted from the team, and suspended by the U. If he wants to stay at the UMN (I'm sure not going to happen), he'd have to go before a disciplinary committee and have a hearing on the incident, and then have the suspension lifted.

I said I wouldn't say anything about this, but the guy told me, "Don't worry about that. There were 200 people in the room. It's going to get out there." Because this guy said he didn't care at all if I told anyone, and because there were other untrue rumors out there, I'm comfortable posting this.

I don't know what other factors may have led up to this incident, if any, but it seems to me an initially relatively innocent situation got out of hand quickly, tempers got heated, and we all already knew the net result - Jones's days as a Gopher are done.

That said, I'm sure he'll find another place to play, and I do hope it turns out all the better for him.

A person on the Citrus Bowl committee came and sat behind us during the third quarter. He was asking me a ton of questions about how we got our tickets, what I paid for them, etc. I was getting a little annoyed with the questioning - there was a game going on, ya know? - but then he asked me what people were saying about the receiver that got sent him. I told him I'd heard two rumors on message boards - he complained to the coaches about playing time (which made zero sense - you don't bring a kid to Orlando, and then send home right away because he complained about playing time), and something else.

Not that it matters anymore, but here's what apparently went down: a magician was hired to perform for the team/travel party the night they arrived. The players had just gotten their per diem, and the magician, during the performance, said he needed a $20 bill. Jones was sitting right there, and one of the assistant coaches told Jones to give the magician $20. Jones said, "no, I'm not giving him my $". The coach said again to give him the $20 bill, that it's just an act, he'd get the money back, etc. Jones got defiant, and before anyone knew it, things escalated quickly to the point where Jones was shouting at the coach and threatening him (may have even nudged the coach - the guy didn't say this specifically, but in describing the situation, the guy said, "a coach is like a police officer - the second you put your hands on him in a threatening manner, even if it's just a brush of the hand, you're done).

As anyone can imagine, the guy said the scene in the room was at first super quiet (there were 200 people in the room, the magician on stage, and all are sitting there watching this go down), then super awkward, and at then finally - all in a matter of a couple minutes (he said it went on and on for seemingly forever) there was definitely fear that a bigger incident was going to happen. Somehow they got Jones to sit down, the coaches convened for two minutes, and that was that - they told Jones he was gone, someone took him out of the room, they want and got his stuff from the hotel room, and off he went to the airport.

According to this guy, the coaches didn't even want to put him on a plane - wanted to put him on a bus back to Atlanta, but rules wouldn't allow it (I'm not sure what the rules are).

In looking back, this guy thought the coach was maybe a little disrespectful with how he handled the situation initially, and said he could have seen a scenario play out where, had Jones just rolled with the initial request, or calmed down, the Coach later would have said to him, "hey, I didn't mean to put you on the spot - I'm sorry about that". But he said - based on Jones's response/actions - the coaches absolutely had to do what they did.

He said Jones was in Orlando for basically four hours, and then he was gone - just like that. He's booted from the team, and suspended by the U. If he wants to stay at the UMN (I'm sure not going to happen), he'd have to go before a disciplinary committee and have a hearing on the incident, and then have the suspension lifted.

I said I wouldn't say anything about this, but the guy told me, "Don't worry about that. There were 200 people in the room. It's going to get out there." Because this guy said he didn't care at all if I told anyone, and because there were other untrue rumors out there, I'm comfortable posting this.

I don't know what other factors may have led up to this incident, if any, but it seems to me an initially relatively innocent situation got out of hand quickly, tempers got heated, and we all already knew the net result - Jones's days as a Gopher are done.

That said, I'm sure he'll find another place to play, and I do hope it turns out all the better for him.

That's....interesting. Almost sounds like a relationship where both parties are waiting for a reason to explode on the other so they can break up.

Wow if the magician story is true, it sound like a pretty stupid thing to have happen. How does anyone get that escalated over that?

Wow if the magician story is true, it sound like a pretty stupid thing to have happen. How does anyone get that escalated over that?

My guess is there was a lot more going on and this was just the final straw.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Boy, long fall from choosing between Mizzou and Minnesota on signing day, to NC A&T in less than 2 years. So sad because I remember it being such a big coup when we were able to land him (much like McKinzy last year). But good luck to Donovahn, hope he can salvage something of his career and education.

It seems clear that our coaches were happy neither with his progress on the field nor his attitude, and this parting of ways inevitably was going to happen one way or another...although nobody probably guessed a magician would be the trigger. lol

Reminds me of a dog I had. Once he was given something (food) you couldn't get him to give it up and it could get ugly in a hurry. That attitude expanded to other things. Doggone.

Reminds me of a dog I had. Once he was given something (food) you couldn't get him to give it up and it could get ugly in a hurry. That attitude expanded to other things. Doggone.

Where has your doggone doggone dog gone?:cool02:

RIP Steve Cannon

Boy, long fall from choosing between Mizzou and Minnesota on signing day, to NC A&T in less than 2 years. So sad because I remember it being such a big coup when we were able to land him (much like McKinzy last year). But good luck to Donovahn, hope he can salvage something of his career and education.

It seems clear that our coaches were happy neither with his progress on the field nor his attitude, and this parting of ways inevitably was going to happen one way or another...although nobody probably guessed a magician would be the trigger. lol

He probably could have gotten on with a FBS program but by going down to FCS he won't have to sit out a year. I could be wrong but I would think he could have gone to a MAC or Sun Belt program for sure.

Can someone explain why NCAT? The MEAC hasn't won a FCS playoff game in a long time. Close to his family?

Top Bottom