Gophers offer Philly RB/S after friend who works for Vikes gives U game film

Where do you see racism? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss it with the board at large.

And furthermore, how is anybody out of line? The point I'm trying to get across through all of this is that a 22 is not a good score. Period. By any measure. And certainly not indicative of the effort it will take to get accepted into med school.

Where do you see racism? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss it with the board at large.

And furthermore, how is anybody out of line? The point I'm trying to get across through all of this is that a 22 is not a good score. Period. By any measure. And certainly not indicative of the effort it will take to get accepted into med school.

You're an idiot and here's why

- first the kid didn't trumpet his scores like he was a Rhodes Scholar, they simply reported his grades at the end of the article like they nearly ALWAYS do with recruits
- Secondly this kid is still in the Spring of his JUNIOR year. Most kids don't even take the ACT for another 6 or 7 months so its fair to assume he hasn't taken any type of ACT prep yet so a 22 for a HS junior who hasn't really prepared is a pretty good score
- third, a 3.5 GPA at a good school like his seems to be is definitely something to be proud of. Maybe you expect a 4.0 out of yourself and thats fine but to belittle someone else for a GPA that is still essentially a B+ is arrogant and immature. Yea you tried to qualify it by saying you would be embarrased but I can flip that into saying that I would be embarrassed if I incorrectly judged the tone in a recruiting article written by someone who is not a trained journalist or writer and developed an opinion about an individual from that.
- 4th, your just dumb for knocking a kid for wanting to go to med school. He's in high school with a 3.5 and there is nothing wrong with that. If he really wants to get to med school he certainly can eventually achieve that. You act like he's struggling to qualify with a 2.6 and a 16 ACT. His grades are pretty good so quit acting like the kids an idiot.

Thank you coolhand, thank you oleboy41. Mocking a kid's career aspirations is ridiculous. Plain and simple. I'm sure if his grades had not been posted in the first place, some jokers on here would've just assumed he was a terrible student and ridiculed him nonetheless on how he would never be able to do such a thing. That sounds about right.

A whole lot of ignorance in this thread. I'll leave it at that.

You're an idiot and here's why

Usually people resort to name-calling when they have nothing of substance to contribute. I'll assume in general that that is the case for you.

- Secondly this kid is still in the Spring of his JUNIOR year. Most kids don't even take the ACT for another 6 or 7 months so its fair to assume he hasn't taken any type of ACT prep yet so a 22 for a HS junior who hasn't really prepared is a pretty good score

If you knew anything about standardized testing, you would know that pretty much everyone takes them in the "Spring of their JUNIOR year". More or less, the only time someone takes them again during the summer or during their senior year is when their scores are so horrible that they can't get in anywhere. He is perfectly in the mainstream as to when he took his tests. And how do you know he hasn't done any ACT prep? Are you close, personal friends? As I've already stated, he is taking it right when everybody else does, so there's no reason why he couldn't have accessed some prep courses and/or books.

- third, a 3.5 GPA at a good school like his seems to be is definitely something to be proud of. Maybe you expect a 4.0 out of yourself and thats fine but to belittle someone else for a GPA that is still essentially a B+ is arrogant and immature. Yea you tried to qualify it by saying you would be embarrased but I can flip that into saying that I would be embarrassed if I incorrectly judged the tone in a recruiting article written by someone who is not a trained journalist or writer and developed an opinion about an individual from that.

Are you a great Chestnut Hill Academy mind? I personally don't know anything about the school, and I'm guessing you don't either. For all we know, it could be a junk school. In addition, I've never commented on his GPA through this entire thread, only his ACT score. Furthermore, if you don't believe that athletes receive preferential treatment and grading in classes, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. I'm inclined to believe that his 22 is more indicative as an apples-to-apples comparison than a 3.53 likely earned in classes like theory of downfield blocking and underwater basket weaving.

- 4th, your just dumb for knocking a kid for wanting to go to med school. He's in high school with a 3.5 and there is nothing wrong with that. If he really wants to get to med school he certainly can eventually achieve that. You act like he's struggling to qualify with a 2.6 and a 16 ACT. His grades are pretty good so quit acting like the kids an idiot.

I love the irony of calling somebody dumb preceded by saying "your" in the possessive sense. Also, I'm not dumb; I have a perfectly developed ability to speak.

Never knocked him for trying. Never said he's struggling to qualify. Never said he's an idiot. Quit putting words in my mouth.

Quote from the article: "Campbell wants to enroll pre-med when he hits college." He's NOT going to be admitted ANYWHERE for pre-med with a 22. Period. End of discussion. He will need to take it again and get (at least) in the 28-30 range to be admitted into a pre-med program. If some of you are so worried about him reading this message board, maybe, if he does, he should realize that he has the wrong handlers and he's being seriously misinformed if somebody told him his plans are realistic as things currently stand. He needs to be re-taking the ACT as often as he can if he wants to be a doctor. He can go to medical school, but NO WAY is he going pre-med with a 22. It will be an uphill battle if he expects to be a full-time athlete and get good enough grades/MCAT scores to be accepted into medical school without being pre-med.

you know... you can take the ACT more than once... right??i know people who have done 7 points better on the second try....but that prolly isnt good enough for you

you know... you can take the ACT more than once... right??i know people who have done 7 points better on the second try....but that prolly isnt good enough for you

Wow. Seriously? Go back and read the post again. Sloooowly this time. Reading comprehension is a beautiful thing.

"He will need to take it again and get (at least) in the 28-30 range to be admitted into a pre-med program."

"He needs to be re-taking the ACT as often as he can if he wants to be a doctor."

Not once, but TWICE did I say exactly what you're saying I didn't. Try again.

There is no racism here. I think you're talking about my not so subtle hints at the fact that minorities have an easier road into medical school. It's true - it's much easier. Why ask your racial background otherwise? Why else ask if you would like to apply as an underrepresented minority? :confused:

Relax on the racism accusations. And relax in general.

Give dpodoll a break - he is being a realist. The fact of the matter is many students come into college saying they want to be pre-med. Heck, I was one of them. I ended up switching to biochemistry and now I teach chemistry.

I have many students who say they want to be doctors, but it is only fair to be real with them. You need to leave college with a 3.5 GPA and you will have to test decently well if you want a shot at med-school.

Should we write the kid off from any chance of being a doctor? By all means, no. But if you've scored a 22 on your ACT, things aren't looking promising. The MCAT is a very high-stakes test and there is a positive correlation between your ACT scores and your MCAT scores.

Don't believe me? Read this article:
Predictors of MCAT Scores for Black Americans

The kid has a shot, sure. All we know is that he has a 22 on the ACT and a 3.5 GPA at a respectable school. I think it is fair to be real on this forum and say an individual who has scored a 22 on the ACT is likely not going to be a doctor. Statistics tell us that. To say he can't or won't? I would disagree with that. Let's all calm down and take a breath, and let the kid get a diploma first.

Reading comprehension

You should check it yourself dpodoll. The report states that he has a 3.53 in his core academic courses, i.e. English, Math, Sciences, Social Studies, Languages, not the Theory of Downfield Blocking and/or other electives.

You need to get your facts straight. UMD is not pre-med at all. It is part of the University of Minnesota medical school now. Students take their first two years of med school in Duluth and then complete their final years at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities.

Also, while UMD encourages rural practitioners within family practice, students are not limited to this. Many students choose other specialties. That being said, UMD is one of the top schools in the nation for it's rate of placement of doctors who choose to practice in rural clinics or hospitals.

My apologies. Did not see the core qualifier. At any rate, that can be manipulated easily as well. Pre-Algebra does not equal AP Calculus. Biology does not equal Advanced Chemistry. Catch my drift? And besides, his GPA was not my point. It was the ACT score.

Thank you, eker0016, for stating far more succinctly than I ever could what I've been trying to say this entire thread.

Wow, I never thought people would be this enamored with someone saying they want to go med school. I mean what does it matter if he wants to go to med school or wants to major in something else? I know you keep saying that you aren't bashing him but by saying that you would be embarrassed to have those grades and/or ACT score (not quite sure which you were getting at) that's exactly what you did. It's perfectly fine to hold yourself to a higher standard but if you are going to be a as someone called you before "realist" than do exactly that! Your standards may be set higher than most industry standards and med school standards are set pretty high but why not leave him to figure out whether or not med school is something he is able to pursue? What does saying that add to this board? Besides making others on this board slightly irritated? You never know who is reading these things, what if he reads this and this weighs negatively on his mind because the fans of the school are criticizing him. Please don't tell me you aren't criticizing him because as I said earlier the words you chose and the way in which you used them did precisely that. You can say that you weren't criticizing him until you are blue in the face and I (and obviously several others on the board) are not going to believe you. It is your opinion so there's nothing I can do about that but please, just please think about what you write.

To answer your question, "What does saying that add to this board?" I will quote something I've already said in this thread.

"If some of you are so worried about him reading this message board, maybe, if he does, he should realize that he has the wrong handlers and he's being seriously misinformed if somebody told him his plans are realistic as things currently stand. He needs to be re-taking the ACT as often as he can if he wants to be a doctor. He can go to medical school, but NO WAY is he going pre-med with a 22. It will be an uphill battle if he expects to be a full-time athlete and get good enough grades/MCAT scores to be accepted into medical school without being pre-med."

In Forrest Gump voice: "That's all I got to say about that."

To answer your question, "What does saying that add to this board?" I will quote something I've already said in this thread.

"If some of you are so worried about him reading this message board, maybe, if he does, he should realize that he has the wrong handlers and he's being seriously misinformed if somebody told him his plans are realistic as things currently stand. He needs to be re-taking the ACT as often as he can if he wants to be a doctor. He can go to medical school, but NO WAY is he going pre-med with a 22. It will be an uphill battle if he expects to be a full-time athlete and get good enough grades/MCAT scores to be accepted into medical school without being pre-med."

In Forrest Gump voice: "That's all I got to say about that."

Med schools could care less about ACT scores. As for the rest, I happen to know an MD that had test scores like that out of high school but with a GPA more like 2.X. I doubt there is any kind of grad school in the country that cares what someone did in high school.

He needs to be re-taking the ACT as often as he can if he wants to be a doctor. He can go to medical school, but NO WAY is he going pre-med with a 22. It will be an uphill battle if he expects to be a full-time athlete and get good enough grades/MCAT scores to be accepted into medical school without being pre-med.

He doesn't need to retake the ACT, that test has fulfilled its purpose of getting him into college, it's the MCAT test that will matter. All that pre-med is is a structuring of your undergraduate courses to meet the Association of American Medical Colleges requirements. Anyone can be pre-med. Pre-med isn't even a major at most colleges, you don't need anyone's permission to be pre-med.

I'm glad to see a recruit who is really interested in academics as well as sports. If a recruit is interested in medical school, then I think taking a redshirt year if it is offered might be a good idea, it would lessen some of the pressure of classes and sports.

Usually people resort to name-calling when they have nothing of substance to contribute. I'll assume in general that that is the case for you.

If you knew anything about standardized testing, you would know that pretty much everyone takes them in the "Spring of their JUNIOR year". More or less, the only time someone takes them again during the summer or during their senior year is when their scores are so horrible that they can't get in anywhere. He is perfectly in the mainstream as to when he took his tests. And how do you know he hasn't done any ACT prep? Are you close, personal friends? As I've already stated, he is taking it right when everybody else does, so there's no reason why he couldn't have accessed some prep courses and/or books.

Actually I'm a guy that only calls people names that fit them and idiot seems to suit you just fine. As for standardized testing, when I was in school a few years back most people didn't take their test until late spring or early summer at the earliest. Also the fact that he already has his score means he took the test at least a month prior to this article which means he took it during the winter of his junior year which is very early. Most ACT prep classes didn't begin until spring or summer as well so I seriously doubt he's really been able to study for the test and even still he has plenty of time to improve. I improved my score by 3 points from a 25 to a 28 just by staying going to bed befoer 3am the night before and I never studied for the ACT for even 1 minute.

Are you a great Chestnut Hill Academy mind? I personally don't know anything about the school, and I'm guessing you don't either. For all we know, it could be a junk school. In addition, I've never commented on his GPA through this entire thread, only his ACT score. Furthermore, if you don't believe that athletes receive preferential treatment and grading in classes, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd like to sell you. I'm inclined to believe that his 22 is more indicative as an apples-to-apples comparison than a 3.53 likely earned in classes like theory of downfield blocking and underwater basket weaving.

Actually before my original post I did check out his school and it seems like a very good school. Also your babble about athletes getting special treatment is a stereotype. There are certainly a number of circumstances where that's happened but that is usually when the school has something to gain from that particular athlete's success. It is much less likely to happen for a football player at a Philly college prep school that doesn't have much of a football tradition. Either way you're making blind implications with no substance

I love the irony of calling somebody dumb preceded by saying "your" in the possessive sense. Also, I'm not dumb; I have a perfectly developed ability to speak.

Never knocked him for trying. Never said he's struggling to qualify. Never said he's an idiot. Quit putting words in my mouth.

Love your attempt at being a smarta** but that just shows me you're a jacka**. Apparently you're unaware that in the English language words often have multiple meanings. So you can be dumb and not dumb at the same time. Maybe you're both. And also I'm perfectly capable of distinguishing between your and you're but when I'm quickly typing out a message on a message board I don't feel the need to pay much attention to grammer.

While you never said the kid was an idiot you went out of your way to knock the kids grades for no real reason. Was any of this even neccesary? When you told your mom you wanted to be president did she go on about how you lacked the intelligence, charisma or common sense to hold any type of public office? Nope. She let you dream. Leave the kid alone and be an adult.

With fans like dpdol who needs enemies? You think fans at Alabama or Ohio State post like this about their recruits? 3.55 GPA "Embarrassing"? Things must have changed since I went to school if that's an embarrassing GPA. Any way dpbol tries to back peddle and spin this he was not intending to educate the young man and help him, rather to mock him and make himself feel superior to a 16 year old boy with dreams of going to Med School.

High-5 for keeping it real for us lowly peasants big man!

Its kinda embarassing for me to admit that I got a 21 on my ACT. I spent most of my undergrad days trying to prove that wrong. Today I'm just finishing work on my Ph.D. I'm not sure a 22 score should trap this kid in his future endeavors

i did not even take the ACT or SAT, actually i dropped out of high school.

i worked hard in junior college, then transferred to the U (barely squeaking in) worked hard now i am in grad school.

i don't know what my high school GPA was before i dropped out, but i wouldn't have been embarrassed with a 3.55.

as has been said before in this thread, high school records have ZERO impact on grad school admissions, whether it be medical, law or history at Minnesota, and i applaud him for setting goals and knowing what he wants out of life.

Hmm, I forget where on this thread I said anything about his GPA being embarrassing. Do you care to cite it for me?

I also am neglecting to remember where I stated that he would never be a doctor or go to med school. Can you cite those instances for me as well?

Awesome. It's fantastic when people put words in my mouth and don't own up to it. Also, mocking? Pot, meet kettle.

Sorry to bring this up again

Well people I happen to know this kid personally, and am very close to his situation. Consider me his handler if you will. He took the ACTs at the end of his sophomore year, and is prepared to take them again in what is currently his Junior campaign at a prestigious school here in Philly in CHA. Not only is he a dedicated and amazing athlete, he is a very conscientious student and very active in his school and community. His older brother, Rashad is currently a freshman at Cornell University, and received substantial playing time this last season, and will have a shot at the starting spot as a sophomore. He is receiving alot of attention from major programs as he has fielded offer from Vanderbilt, Stanford, and Syracuse as of late. Yes he is a minority, and is proud of his background and culture, and is an inspiration to alot of young African American children as well as athletes wanting to make the most out of life and sport. dpodoll68 sir this seems to be much bigger than football for you as you have used this forum to illustrate your educational prowess, and not once seemed like a fan of the Gophers, yet someone who was bullied by the jocks in your youth, and your means of getting back was to show them up in the classroom. Now that someone possesses not only athletic superiority, but a high level of intelligence threatens to potentially invade your world, you feel the need to harp on one issue that you clearly have done NO research to support. What are you defending... Med School, or the idea that the athletes, which you seem to despise, may perform highly on all cylinders minimizing your accomplishments. Get over yourself... Bush was the President of the United States, and with your arrogance, Im certain you voted for him, so there goes your argument that someone with limited education and test scores can persevere and overcome the educational and STANDARDIZED odds that you so adamantly believe in... Geesh, he's a kid.

You should check it yourself dpodoll. The report states that he has a 3.53 in his core academic courses, i.e. English, Math, Sciences, Social Studies, Languages, not the Theory of Downfield Blocking and/or other electives.

Am I the only one that laughs at the idea of a "Theory of Downfield Blocking" course or something similar in a high school? Maybe it is just because I was a good student but I'm not really aware of athletes getting special treatment or encouragement to take easy courses in HS.

Top Bottom