Gophers offer JUCO PG Dre Mathieu, will visit May 3

RT @gopherhole: Hmmm, on #Gophers visit now. RT @JohnMartinCA: JUCO PG Dre Mathieu is no longer visiting Memphis, per source.

Go Gophers!!

Trying to find info on why the Memphis visit was cancelled. Rumor that a PG they have committed, Pookie Powell, was shaky academically and had yet to get qualifying ACT/SAT score. Some speculated that Mathieu was a fallback for Memphis if they thought Powell wasn't going to make it. Another theory is that Memphis just today offered a local Memphis 2014 PG named Chris Chiozza and wouldn't want to add a smaller guard in Mathieu this year and add another smaller guard in Chiozza next year. Chiozza seems to have a similar story to JP Macrua, though on a bigger stage: Memphis was aware of him for a long time, but he blew up at some of the tournaments this Spring and has been offered by Ohio State, Florida, and other heavy hitters.

I would rather wait on Freeman with McNeil already in the fold. I know we could use another PG but I think McNeil is that guy. We are recruiting another small point guard for 2014 so I am not sold on this kid as a primary option.

Damn, and I thought Dre Mathieu was a cool name. Why couldn't we sign Pookie Powell?

I would rather wait on Freeman with McNeil already in the fold. I know we could use another PG but I think McNeil is that guy. We are recruiting another small point guard for 2014 so I am not sold on this kid as a primary option.

+1

+2

I'd take all three even though we'd only have 2 scholarships for 2014.

+1000

To "wait" on freeman would be the dumbest thing we could do. You don't wait on talent like that. Even if it only leaves us with 2 schollies next year. You can always over sign and find another scholarship if needed (show someone the door).

You could very well be right. I sense Norwood and Coach P. want to win right now, and let 2014 take care of itself. Another poster mentioned Oto and Huge Mo are in position to graduate next year, and may be encouraged to consider other opportunities.

+1000

To "wait" on freeman would be the dumbest thing we could do. You don't wait on talent like that. Even if it only leaves us with 2 schollies next year. You can always over sign and find another scholarship if needed (show someone the door).

Many posters would cut their own mothers if they thought it might lead to one more win. There is no reason to believe creaning would be acceptable to our Administration. Norwood and Coach P. don't have the final say in such matters.

+1000

Will's boss: I am going to oversign workers here.
Will: Cool.
Will's boss: To pay for him to come work here, we are pulling your salary and giving it to him.
Will: Makes sense.
Will's boss: You are welcome to keep working here with no paycheck, but you can stay by paying your own way.
Will: That's not a good thing to do.
Will's boss: Well, there's the door.
Will: Bummer.

You can almost guarantee there will be some defections next year. Banking scholarships is kind of silly unless you have a commitment in the bag.

+2000 on Freeman!
Your talking about a high level UCLA recruit. It would be crazy not to take him.

Will's boss: I am going to oversign workers here.
Will: Cool.
Will's boss: To pay for him to come work here, we are pulling your salary and giving it to him.
Will: Makes sense.
Will's boss: You are welcome to keep working here with no paycheck, but you can stay by paying your own way.
Will: That's not a good thing to do.
Will's boss: Well, there's the door.
Will: Bummer.

You need to get back to reality. When a current player can identify that they aren't going to fit into the system, and probably wont get any minutes, most would be happy to move on. Why do you think there are so many players transferring? Not all kids are like the kid from Braham who was at MSU, and was happy to be a cheerleader. I believe it is actually legal for teams to over sign. It's not like you're committing a felony.

In your scenario, my boss should just keep me around even if there are much more productive people around? You need a reality check. If you were the boss, you would be happy with mediocrity and eventual failure.

You need to get back to reality. When a current player can identify that they aren't going to fit into the system, and probably wont get any minutes, most would be happy to move on. Why do you think there are so many players transferring? Not all kids are like the kid from Braham who was at MSU, and was happy to be a cheerleader. I believe it is actually legal for teams to over sign. It's not like you're committing a felony.

In your scenario, my boss should just keep me around even if there are much more productive people around? You need a reality check. If you were the boss, you would be happy with mediocrity and eventual failure.

Someone needs to get back to reality. Remember, it's only a game.

I'd take Freeman and not sign a PF waaaaaaaaaaay before I say no to Freeman (while also signing a PF), both would result in 3 scholarships for next year. Freeman would be the highest rated recruit on the entire team. Why the F would anyone say no to him? No one in 2014 is a guarantee.

WillyB, you failed to get the point of my post. You were the one who said "show them the door". I called you on that with an example about your job. That is all.

Nobody is arguing about whether or not it's legal or illegal. The question is whether it is right or wrong. You are entitled to your opinion, but keep in mind that the coach who chose to pull scholarships would have to live with those decisions. That means every recruiting battle when they say to a recruit's mother "I'm looking out for your kid" they will have to answer why they cut a player who was earning his degree (simply because things didn't turn out in basketball). It's a shady thing to do.

Nobody is arguing about whether or not it's legal or illegal. The question is whether it is right or wrong. You are entitled to your opinion, but keep in mind that the coach who chose to pull scholarships would have to live with those decisions. That means every recruiting battle when they say to a recruit's mother "I'm looking out for your kid" they will have to answer why they cut a player who was earning his degree (simply because things didn't turn out in basketball). It's a shady thing to do.
It's a little different with kids you didn't recruit IMO. Pitino never told anyone on this team's mothers anything.

You could very well be right. I sense Norwood and Coach P. want to win right now, and let 2014 take care of itself. Another poster mentioned Oto and Huge Mo are in position to graduate next year, and may be encouraged to consider other opportunities.

Not clear what the issue is if they obtained degrees that were fully paid by the U.

It's a little different with kids you didn't recruit IMO. Pitino never told anyone on this team's mothers anything.

For the integrity of the program and the University, it's general practice to honor the scholarships of player's from the previous staff. In Foster and Ellis' case, they weren't enrolled at the University and were released from their LOI. For players already enrolled, releasing them from their scholarships gives the program and the U a black eye.

I'd take Freeman and not sign a PF waaaaaaaaaaay before I say no to Freeman (while also signing a PF), both would result in 3 scholarships for next year. Freeman would be the highest rated recruit on the entire team. Why the F would anyone say no to him? No one in 2014 is a guarantee.

If Freeman wants to sign with the Gopher's and it reduces the number of scholerships for next season to two you still sign him, as the saying goes and bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

If Freeman wants to sign with the Gopher's and it reduces the number of scholerships for next season to two you still sign him, as the saying goes and bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

That is exactly what I have been thinking. This program is in the position to turn down a talent like Freeman because we have a miniscule shot at landing all three of the top flight MN players.

I would also happily take a highly regarded SG like Freeman over a lightly regarded player at a position of need like PF (for example, an Andre Ingram type, no offense intended).

Then again, that's just me.

For the integrity of the program and the University, it's general practice to honor the scholarships of player's from the previous staff. In Foster and Ellis' case, they weren't enrolled at the University and were released from their LOI. For players already enrolled, releasing them from their scholarships gives the program and the U a black eye.

like when Tubby ran off a couple players when he got here?

I'm not advocating that we show anyone the door, I'm just saying that these things happen from time to time if a new coach comes in and sees additional needs. It's not really on the level of 'creaning' unless it happens regularly during a coach's tenure

Top Bottom