Gophers offer JUCO PG Dre Mathieu, will visit May 3

"Gophers off JUCO PG Dre Mathieu"

Are there charges in this case yet?

@prepxtra: DRE MATHIEU UPDATE: changed his visit to #Memphis from 4/27 to after his visit to #Gophers (5/3). Still visit Ole Miss (4/25).

Go Gophers!!

Our last staff identified and signed a true scorer and a PF, and left us with 2 tenders.

They recruited two people who aren't highly regarded. It is a massive stretch to say we had a true scorer. Are you one of their parents? I cannot fathom why you keep pushing this meme of losing great recruits who would have done big things for the Gophers. They were neither highly regarded nor were they considered scoring difference makers.

Do you miss Tubby that much? Do you believe he recruited great players?

They recruited two people who aren't highly regarded. It is a massive stretch to say we had a true scorer. Are you one of their parents? I cannot fathom why you keep pushing this meme of losing great recruits who would have done big things for the Gophers. They were neither highly regarded nor were they considered scoring difference makers.

Do you miss Tubby that much? Do you believe he recruited great players?

I'm assuming by your comments that you don't think much for Tom Izzo and his Michigan St. program. Ellis just signed with Michigan St. and that makes him highly regarded as far as I'm concerned.

I'm assuming by your comments that you don't think much for Tom Izzo and his Michigan St. program. Ellis just signed with Michigan St. and that makes him highly regarded as far as I'm concerned.

Signing with a program in the Spring is different than signing with a program in the Fall. Needs change and their are only so many kids to fill those needs, it's how players like Mav and Chip end up at Minnesota. The fact that Ellis is at MSU now doesn't make him any more highly regarded than he was in the Fall.

Signing with a program in the Spring is different than signing with a program in the Fall. Needs change and their are only so many kids to fill those needs, it's how players like Mav and Chip end up at Minnesota. The fact that Ellis is at MSU now doesn't make him any more highly regarded than he was in the Fall.

Really? I wonder if anybody else knows that.

You understand good programs recruit bad, mediocre, and average players, right? Remember Isiah Dahlman? Was he a great player because he was courted by the Spartans?

You understand good programs recruit bad, mediocre, and average players, right? Remember Isiah Dahlman? Was he a great player because he was courted by the Spartans?

Don't think you get the concept of recruiting. He was a great player coming out of high school but he didn't turn out to be.

Don't think you get the concept of recruiting. He was a great player coming out of high school but he didn't turn out to be.

Bingo, Johnny. That happens to lots of kids going from High School to College level, and then when they realize that there are lots of other kids better than them, they transfer to a different, usually much lesser competition.

I don't think you get it. One, both were/are three star players. Neither is considered great. Two, the point was to illustrate the horrible logic of " good school x offered a scholarship to a player we offered a scholarship; therefore he must be good." That is horrible reasoning. It doesn't even evaluate the player. It evaluates the school who offered the scholarship and annoints that schools recruits as great or good based on the school's reputation. In other words, the player is being traded on the school's name not on his merits. Third, spring recruiting is different than fall recruiting. Fall recruiting is about filling future holes in the roster with the best possible players who fit your scheme. Spring recruiting is about the same and filling unexpected holes. However, spring recruiting offers much less talent and is generally used as a way to recruit bodies (Armelin, Mav, Oto) as opposed to getting great talent for those holes. You should have much lower expectations for players who are recruited in the spring, generally.

I don't think you get it. One, both were/are three star players. Neither is considered great. Two, the point was to illustrate the horrible logic of " good school x offered a scholarship to a player we offered a scholarship; therefore he must be good." That is horrible reasoning. It doesn't even evaluate the player. It evaluates the school who offered the scholarship and annoints that schools recruits as great or good based on the school's reputation. In other words, the player is being traded on the school's name not on his merits. Third, spring recruiting is different than fall recruiting. Fall recruiting is about filling future holes in the roster with the best possible players who fit your scheme. Spring recruiting is about the same and filling unexpected holes. However, spring recruiting offers much less talent and is generally used as a way to recruit bodies (Armelin, Mav, Oto) as opposed to getting great talent for those holes. You should have much lower expectations for players who are recruited in the spring, generally.

So his stock rising had nothing to do with his senior high school season?

Obviously we have a different opinion of what "highly regarded" means then. When a top program signs a player, I consider them highly regarded. No where did I say that Michigan St. signing him automatically makes him a great player. He's obviously good enough that a coach who has been to multiple Final Fours offered him a scholarship. I didn't mean anything more or less than that.

Obviously we have a different opinion of what "highly regarded" means then. When a top program signs a player, I consider them highly regarded. No where did I say that Michigan St. signing him automatically makes him a great player. He's obviously good enough that a coach who has been to multiple Final Fours offered him a scholarship. I didn't mean anything more or less than that.

Holy contradiction. And in consecutive sentences no less.

Gotcha. That is very fair.

Holy contradiction. And in consecutive sentences no less.

Ryan Leaf was a highly regarded player out of college. That is why he went 2nd overall in the NFL draft. Being highly regarded and getting selected that high didn't automatically make him a great player in the NFL.

. However, spring recruiting offers much less talent and is generally used as a way to recruit bodies (Armelin, Mav, Oto) as opposed to getting great talent for those holes. You should have much lower expectations for players who are recruited in the spring, generally.

Not necessarily the case (at least when a coach with a goofy nickname isn't calling the shots). Players who get releases due to coaching changes or transfers are also available.

Sounds like we get the last visit before decision day.

2013 JUCO PG Dre Matheiu who has an official visit to Minnesota this weekend RT @DRIIIIIZZZZZYYY: Next Thursday is decision day

Sounds like we get the last visit before decision day.

2013 JUCO PG Dre Matheiu who has an official visit to Minnesota this weekend RT @DRIIIIIZZZZZYYY: Next Thursday is decision day

Unless something has changed his Memphis visit is after ours

Good thing we're supposed to have beautiful weather all weekend.........

I can see advantages to having the visit on May 3. Snow should be gone by then, warmer temperatures (hopefully) will be here. Also, we could be his final visit. Sometimes what you see last is what sticks with you at decision time.

So yeah... about that.

:banghead:

I can see advantages to having the visit on May 3. Snow should be gone by then, warmer temperatures (hopefully) will be here..
Muhahahhahahahhaha

edit. Guess I wasn't the first guy re-reading the thread and finding this funny...

Top Bottom