Gophers/Northwestern Post-Game Rant Thread

Croft wasn't perfect... but I'd say he played well for a True Freshman being thrown into a 27-0 game as your first College action ever. I also wouldn't call it garbage time because you know NW wanted to keep the shut out. All of his passes were pretty accurate... I do think he needs to put more fuel on his throws though. He also had some throws that he probably shouldn't have made as there were like 3 that were close to getting intercepted... but all in all, it was good to see the receivers have a chance. 10 feet over someone's head does not give them a good chance to catch the ball.

Do you have someone in mind then? My point is there isn't a ton of good Juco QB's out there. There were a total of five QB's in the last two years rated in the Rivals Top 100 Juco players. So that means there was a total of 5 out of 200.

You're saying there were only 5 juco QBs in the last two years better than our current roster?

D'ok!!!

You're saying there were only 5 juco QBs in the last two years better than our current roster?

D'ok!!!

Holy $hit, no. Please try to read the whole thing again. I was trying to use it as an example that there usually aren't a lot of good JUCO QB's out there.

I'll ask you again, do you have a particular player in mind that they should have gone after?

This is what drives me the most nuts about Kill, if you knew he was going to play and burn his redshirt why in the world did he not get a series or 2 in both Kent State and Ohio what sense does that make? That is near sightedness that makes me wonder about his ability.
Croft wasn't perfect... but I'd say he played well for a True Freshman being thrown into a 27

The offense was humiliating today. I think Limegrover called crap plays, and Leidner played horrendously. Those would be my top two for assigning blame. But I guess some blame needs to go to Kill. Either Limegrover doesn't have the players he needs to succeed and it is Kill's job for not giving them to him, or Limegrover isn't very good and Kill is responsible for keeping him. This cannot happen. This is about as concerned as I have been about Gopher football since Kill's first season.

Holy $hit, no. Please try to read the whole thing again. I was trying to use it as an example that there usually aren't a lot of good JUCO QB's out there.

I'll ask you again, do you have a particular player in mind that they should have gone after?

See link earlier in thread. Let's start with any of them!

We saw this coming this time last year. Actually, when Nelson transferred would have been a good time to start scouring rosters for potential transfers. I would have been doing that if my job was tied to success of gophers offense.

Theres not many?? What??? We don't need Cam Newton, we need an improvement over what we have. There's plenty of that.

This is what drives me the most nuts about Kill, if you knew he was going to play and burn his redshirt why in the world did he not get a series or 2 in both Kent State and Ohio what sense does that make? That is near sightedness that makes me wonder about his ability.
Croft wasn't perfect... but I'd say he played well for a True Freshman being thrown into a 27

What the hell makes you think Kill knew he was going to play him? Also, our previous 3 games were in doubt with a chance to win. Are you going to put in a true freshman, and burn a redshirt, with the game on the line? No way.

You take burning redshirt lightly with your future QB, and Kill didn't.

Limegrover seemed ok until Leidner threw an INT. After that, he started calling super safe calls. Like when we had the ball inside our own 20, I just knew they were too scared to make a mistake there and would just call run run run punt. And sure enough they did. It's like this coaching staff gets so afraid of making a mistake, they shut down the whole offense, even if they're behind.

3. Kill, his inability to bring in/develop a quality QB to this point is coming back to haunt him.

It's for this reason that I feel Kill deserves to be criticized extensively. Mitch is what he is, he's hit his ceiling and the coaches should've recognized 1-2 years back that we had issues at QB and done a better job recruiting a decent QB.

Honest question: was Harnish a blue-chip recruit? Or did Kill/Limegrover strike gold and develop a QB while they were at Northern Illinois?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No hot seat, my God folks. Relax. Every program takes steps back. No team in the Big ten has offense as its calling card this year. Look around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offense may not be everyone's strength, but most of them will find a way to score at least once this week.

Limegrover seemed ok until Leidner threw an INT. After that, he started calling super safe calls. Like when we had the ball inside our own 20, I just knew they were too scared to make a mistake there and would just call run run run punt. And sure enough they did. It's like this coaching staff gets so afraid of making a mistake, they shut down the whole offense, even if they're behind.

It's been talked about before, but some think Kill might be the reason for this happening. I'm not sure what the truth is, but it is possible.

So then leave the redshirt on him. What is the point of putting him with zero experience in a meaningless 27-0 game. He has been the 2nd string qb for several weeks now, if you went to the games you would have seen him taking snaps with the 2s post TCU game, he was going to have to play why not get him a series in the first half of either of those two games was it really worse then the qb play we have been getting. The redshirt is not realistic when he is your 2nd string qb. Our line is a bigger concern, but expecting your 2nd string qb to maintain his redshirt is near sighted, your 2nd string is going to play especially with this line.

No team in the history of history has improved every year. God help this fanbase.

True, but every fan base in history has expected their team to. So that's not new either.

What the hell makes you think Kill knew he was going to play him? Also, our previous 3 games were in doubt with a chance to win. Are you going to put in a true freshman, and burn a redshirt, with the game on the line? No way.

You take burning redshirt lightly with your future QB, and Kill didn't.

Calm down buddy, I didn't say Kill was mean for throwing him in there in that situation. I just stated that Croft did decent given those circumstances. Calm down. Breathe.

Kill- it starts at the top, and it's his fault for sticking with both Leidner and Limey
Limegrover- OC/line coach and play caller
Zibrowski (sp?)- it's his job to develop a quarterback, which he hasn't done yet
Leidner- needed to be more accurate and a better decision maker

It's been talked about before, but some think Kill might be the reason for this happening. I'm not sure what the truth is, but it is possible.

That could be very true, and the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards that also.

I remember when Kill was out with his health issues, that the Offense opened up big time... and as soon as Kill came back, it went back to normal. That means either Claeys pushed Limegrover to open up, or Limegrover didn't have Kill there looking over his shoulder and he opened the offense up himself.

We saw this coming this time last year. Actually, when Nelson transferred would have been a good time to start scouring rosters for potential transfers. I would have been doing that if my job was tied to success of gophers offense.

Theres not many?? What??? We don't need Cam Newton, we need an improvement over what we have. There's plenty of that.

When did our discussion change from JUCO's to transfers? My points were only about JUCO's because it is a lot harder to know which teams went after transfers. It's not nearly as open of a process as recruiting is.

One problem is that Gophers were over-hyped last year: beat a failing Michigan team playing their worst QB; almost lost to Purdue at home, 39-38; were upset on the road by Illinois; beat NW at home because of a 100-yard kickoff return; lost bowl game. Offense and QB a problem for years.

Calm down buddy, I didn't say Kill was mean for throwing him in there in that situation. I just stated that Croft did decent given those circumstances. Calm down. Breathe.

I'm pretty sure his post was meant to be responding to rivergopher.

Can't blame Mitch.

Can blame people who put him in over his head and have nobody better.

From you own ****ing link talking about last year's guys: "However, on the other side, Jake Heaps (Miami), Matt Joeckel (TCU), Brandon Connette (Fresno State), Jake Coker (Alabama) and Stephen Rivers (Vanderbilt) didn’t have much of an impact."

So unless you know of some magic fairy dust that will, without a doubt, provide a player better than is on our roster...hell, I don't even know where you're really going with this.

Kill is ultimately responsible for employing Matt Limegrover and Limegrower is the weakest link. Limegrover has no place designing game plans and calling plays at this level.

That could be very true, and the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards that also.

I remember when Kill was out with his health issues, that the Offense opened up big time... and as soon as Kill came back, it went back to normal. That means either Claeys pushed Limegrover to open up, or Limegrover didn't have Kill there looking over his shoulder and he opened the offense up himself.

I agree with both of you. I think Kill has his fingerprints all over this offense and is a large reason why we are so conservative.

From you own ****ing link talking about last year's guys: "However, on the other side, Jake Heaps (Miami), Matt Joeckel (TCU), Brandon Connette (Fresno State), Jake Coker (Alabama) and Stephen Rivers (Vanderbilt) didn’t have much of an impact."

So unless you know of some magic fairy dust that will, without a doubt, provide a player better than is on our roster...hell, I don't even know where you're really going with this.

I would take any of those guys over what we have right now.

Where am I going? Saying, how could staff have rolled into this season with just Mitch at QB. This is on them.

Lame avatar.

Read very first sentence of thread.

You're giving me a bigger headache than I already have.

Your first response to my posts was this:

Right.... Cause it would have been impossible to find a single Juco better than what we have on our roster. Our QB situation is so good, that an upgrade in talent would be hard to find.

Since then we had only been talking about JUCO's.

So I'll ask you for a third time, do you have any thoughts as to which JUCO QBs we should have gone after?

Rank the following 1-4, with one being the person/unit you blame the most: Jerry Kill, Mitch Leidner, Matt Limegrover, our O-line.

And feel free to chime in on how you fix the problem, both for this year and more importantly beyond.

My rankings:

1) Limegrover
2) Kill
3) Offensive Line
4) Leidner

I will go with 1. Limegrover, 2. Kill. Leidner is a terrible passer but it's Kill and Limegrover who made the decision for a terrible passer to be our starting QB and chasing out our only competent QB. It's also Limegrover who is the OL coach. I don't think I would place the blame on specific players unless it was clear they were talented and they were underachieving.

Top Bottom