GOPHERS HIRING BEN JOHNSON

Nobody is arguing they have had sustained success, they are merely overperforming their expectations.
Uhhh .... no. That is not at all what those who revived this thread were doing.

They were fake gloating that they had won.

Nothing is proven, in the slightest, one way or another.

The Gophers have impressed the fanbase and given us hope they will win some more big ten games, that was a tall order a couple weeks ago.
100% correct, and it's a great thing.

Just admit you were wrong about the Ben Johnson hire.
Nothing is proven, in the slightest, one way or another.

No P5 AD will ever be able to justify hiring a head coach for a major sport that has never been a head coach before, as not being a major risk/gamble.

Coyle doesn't have the balls to admit that. But that is exactly what it is.

Very early, very premature results indicate that we might have hit the jackpot on the gamble. No one is going to be mad, if that's how it works out.

Where's the room on GH for people like me who were underwhelmed (not angry, but underwhelmed) by the hire, but decided they would put 100% of their support behind Ben, am extremely happy with the early results, but understand that there is a long way to go before we make a final judgment on the hire?

Seems like the only positions taken now are 1. I didn't like the hire and won't admit to being wrong at all or 2. I liked the hire and now am going to throw it in everyone's face that we have an amazing coach.

Last edited:

Where's the room on GH for people like me who were underwhelmed (not angry, but underwhelmed) by the hire, but decided they would put 100% of their support behind Ben, am extremely happy with the early results, but understand that there is a long way to go before we make a final judgment on the hire?
That's probably most of actual fans. The ones that don't post on GH.

The what say 40-50 people who actively post, are hyper- hyper- reactive. That's how it works.

40 to 50 total people. Out of thousands upon thousands of Gopher fans.

To think that it's a representative sample, on pretty much anything, is ludicrous.

That's probably most of actual fans. The ones that don't post on GH.

The what say 40-50 people who actively post, are hyper- hyper- reactive. That's how it works.

40 to 50 total people. Out of thousands upon thousands of Gopher fans.

To think that it's a representative sample, on pretty much anything, is ludicrous.
Yeah, you're right. I don't get to interact with many gopher fans outside of GH LOL.

Lets see how many pages we can get this "i told you so" pissing match going. Let this thread fade away and lets just enjoy things are going well so far.

meanwhile, win tonight and richard pitino's record of 8 wins in a season is safe. would love to see coach johnson blow by that one

When I first read this I was like okay, we go the Northern Iowa guy, then I thought oh same name as the Canadian sprinter. Then I finally remember our old assistant was this Ben Johnson. Great hire

If this was a player thread, I'd be scared they decommitted.......

We know Coach Johnson can recruit. That is indisputable.

Can he develop players and coach? Those are the next questions to answer.

He's at least passed the first test. He can get talent here.

He's got a great staff to help development. I think he showed enough last year to demonstrate he can coach.

Such a fine line between being successful and failing in B1G basketball, wasn't Magdanz quoted as saying it was refreshing to watch the Gophers under Johnson compared to his predecessor, even in year one. I'll take that endorsement from someone that really was an expert in Gopher and Minnesota high school basketball.

Outside of probably 8-10 guys, AD coaching hires are always high profile risks. Coyle wasn't going to get any of those 8-10 guys, so going with a guy who had roots here, good recruiting connections, experience in multiple programs, an excellent reputation and was highly regarded by the people who worked with him and played for him made sense. So far it's looking like an excellent decision.

I'm tired of hearing this myth repeated.
Other than being able to recruit Amir Coffee (a gimme who's dad was a Gopher great), what has he really accomplished on the recruiting road? Yes, I will see the incoming Dennis Evans as a rebuttal, but I think this statement was made before Evans committed. So he is Ben's second top recruit in 20 years of coaching? Hurray!

BTW, it's hysterical reading the initial posts on this thread when Ben was first announced as coach.

Wow! That's quite a thread! The reaction to the hire was well...rough.

BTW, it's hysterical reading the initial posts on this thread when Ben was first announced as coach.

Initial posts? Shit, it's more hysterical reading the ones that were adamant after Year 1 that he can sure coach. ⬇️⬇️⬇️
He's got a great staff to help development. I think he showed enough last year to demonstrate he can coach.

I don't want to be too harsh, I'm sure there were a ton of posters who whiffed on this one.

I'm tired of hearing this myth repeated.
Other than being able to recruit Amir Coffee (a gimme who's dad was a Gopher great), what has he really accomplished on the recruiting road? Yes, I will see the incoming Dennis Evans as a rebuttal, but I think this statement was made before Evans committed. So he is Ben's second top recruit in 20 years of coaching? Hurray!
He recruited other MN kids Oturo, Gabe, and Jarvis Johnson too. For out of state guys he was lead for Curry, Willis, and some others. He was the lead on McKinley Wright and Halliburton and both would’ve committed here if Pitino would’ve taken them. He’s a fine recruiter. Plenty of stuff to bash him on, but he can find and land talent.

Top Bottom