Gophers/Buckeyes Post Game Thread

That's exactly right. Your shooting gets worse when the shots you see aren't as open. We are taking tougher shots because of the bad offensive movement. Then you start missing tough shots and you start losing the confidence to make the easy ones.

We had some decent looks tonight that just clanked. Coleman had a wide open mid range jumper that was a total brick. Sigh

Is it impossible in Big Ten play to continually look to push the ball and not run as much half court offense? I am serious in asking the question?

Amelia's Blog -->

Gophers postgame: Minnesota's energy missing once again in loss at Ohio State

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/192188281.html

"Other notes on tonight’s 71-45 loss:

Rodney Williams and Joe Coleman each picked up two fouls within the first four minutes of the game, and played eight and 12 minutes respectively, overall. Each went scoreless. Williams wasn’t expected to start, but Smith decided at the last minute that he was ready. Apparently Williams hadn’t practiced to contact leading up to the game. Smith said Williams’ shoulder wasn’t a factor in the forward’s limited minutes.

The Gophers have now lost eight in 11 games. In their last four losses, they have not scored more than 53 or made more than 38 percent of their shots.

Ohio State has now won six straight against the Gophers overall and six straight at Value City Arena.

Minnesota was held without a single field goal for 10:39 of play in the second half, during the 16-0 run.

Minnesota Athletic Director Norwood Teague and Associate AD Mike Ellis were in Columbus and sat courtside for the debacle.

Mo Walker scored seven points – his most since the non-conference schedule – after playing 17 minutes. Overall, the bench contributed 25 points to the starters’ 20. Ohio State’s bench scored 31.

The Gophers shot a season-low 29.2 percent from the field.

The Gophers play No. 1 Indiana on Wednesday at the Barn."

Tubby: "I don’t care what we do differently or what we do tomw in practice. If we don’t learn to shoot better, it’s going to be tough."

I think that discloses a philosophy that I find concerning. He assumes that poor shooting is the basic cause of our low scoring. Really, poor shooting is a symptom of a poorly designed and executed offense -- and THAT'S the basic cause. If you rely on the type of offense that has resulted in the instant cliche "create your own shot" you are less likely to get lightly-contested shots. And while spinning, weaving, playground moves may draw oooohs from the fans, they result in low-percentage shots compared with nearly uncontested shots that result from a moving, screening, quick-passing offense which fans seem to think is boring.

Tubby: "I don’t care what we do differently or what we do tomw in practice. If we don’t learn to shoot better, it’s going to be tough."

I think that discloses a philosophy that I find concerning. He assumes that poor shooting is the basic cause of our low scoring. Really, poor shooting is a symptom of a poorly designed and executed offense -- and THAT'S the basic cause. If you rely on the type of offense that has resulted in the instant cliche "create your own shot" you are less likely to get lightly-contested shots. And while spinning, weaving, playground moves may draw oooohs from the fans, they result in low-percentage shots compared with nearly uncontested shots that result from a moving, screening, quick-passing offense which fans seem to think is boring.

That's right. It was the Tubster's way of once again deflecting blame away from his system. Just another sign of deeply ingrained stubborness. The cure- Take one dose of $2.5 million. Do not repeat. Cleanse thoroughly following.

Amen. And as mentioned before, our base offense involves no solid picks and slow, lazy cuts that look like a walk through practice. How do you expect to get open when the defense is allowed to beat the offense to their spot? Another major factor is that we just don't have many good shooters who can consistently hit mid range jumpers -- and no scorers off the bench.

Top Bottom