Gophers’ Kevin Dorsey’s phone stolen at MOA, family says

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per Marcus.

Sorry if this has been posted, at the game and no time to look through a board that's been pretty busy lately ;).

The phone was reported stolen Sunday, two days after the video was posted, but Hartley said there is video evidence of the phone being taken from a Mall of America store on Wednesday, Feb. 24.

“Kevin did not post any sexually explicit images or videos, nor did he consent to any such videos being posted,” the family said in a statement faxed to the Pioneer Press.

Full article -> http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/02/kevin-dorseys-phone-was-stolen-at-moa-family-says/

Could I believe some sort of story about some guy stealing his phone and then extorting him or something like in the realm of possibility? Sure...a very very small percentage.

Chances are that since he reported it stolen days after the event that his argument is quite thin.

I could be swayed by the video evidence, though.

Could I believe some sort of story about some guy stealing his phone and then extorting him or something like in the realm of possibility? Sure...a very very small percentage. Chances are that since he reported it stolen days after the event that his argument is quite thin. I could be swayed by the video evidence, though.

While it would certainly be more convincing if he had reported it after, I and friends as well have had plenty of phones stolen and never reported them. You just go get a new one. Not saying it's what happened here, but he may have felt the need to report it since the video posted.

Sounds to be like he might have been victimized four times.

1. Having to share with his buddies[emoji51]

2. Getting his phone stolen.

3. Having his sex video posted on the Internet.

4. Being suspended from school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Kevin doesn't have a passcode for his phone? Interesting. Or the thief has better code cracking skills than the FBI.

Which quote from the police officer? I don't really see one.

"Bloomington Deputy Police Chief Mike Hartley confirmed the department is investigating the reported theft of Dorsey’s cellphone at the Mall of America on Feb. 24, two days before a video purportedly showing Dorsey having sex was briefly posted to the player’s Twitter and Instagram accounts.

The phone was reported stolen Sunday, two days after the video was posted, but Hartley said there is video evidence of the phone being taken from a Mall of America store on Wednesday, Feb. 24."

"Bloomington Deputy Police Chief Mike Hartley...

...The phone was reported stolen Sunday, two days after the video was posted, but Hartley said there is video evidence of the phone being taken from a Mall of America store on Wednesday, Feb. 24."

So Kevin doesn't have a passcode for his phone? Interesting. Or the thief has better code cracking skills than the FBI.

A new nationwide survey by Consumer Reports found that 34 percent of all smartphone owners do absolutely nothing, not even a simple code to lock the screen.

Consumer Reports found that only 36 percent of the smartphone users have set a 4-digit PIN to lock their phone.

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/04/26/most-americans-dont-secure-their-smartphones.html

I guess it's more of an indirect quote from Hartley, the Bloomington Deputy Police Chief. If he's confirming that there's evidence the phone was taken on 2/24, that's a pretty interesting wrinkle in the story.

Edit: Echo!

My bad...thought the quote about video evidence was from his dad.

Some are dense enough not to put a pin/passcode.

If the phone was actually stolen, and someone else posted the video, then why the suspensions? As much as I'd like to believe it, I don't. This seems like Dorsey trying to save face and protect himself in case the girl decides to press charges.

I've watched too much "Breaking Bad." It seems the Dorsey's have "called Saul." [emoji641] [emoji641] [emoji641] - [emoji637] [emoji638] [emoji637] [emoji638]

If the phone was actually stolen, and someone else posted the video, then why the suspensions? As much as I'd like to believe it, I don't. This seems like Dorsey trying to save face and protect himself in case the girl decides to press charges.

And that could absolutely be the case. But to your point, maybe the Athletic Department wanted to believe the story, but just couldn't. They may have just erred on the safe side and suspended the players while they looked into the matter.

You clearly don't understand the apple-FBI dispute/conversation.

I've watched too much "Breaking Bad." It seems the Dorsey's have "called Saul." [emoji641] [emoji641] [emoji641] - [emoji637] [emoji638] [emoji637] [emoji638]

So this family from Maryland (and presumably a local MN attorney) have somehow paid/influenced a member of the police department to make up the theft date and video evidence and say it in the paper??

And you think the Dorsey's story is far-fetched? Ha

And that could absolutely be the case. But to your point, maybe the Athletic Department wanted to believe the story, but just couldn't. They may have just erred on the safe side and suspended the players while they looked into the matter.

Is that really fair to the players? Innocent until proven guilty no? I don't think they would have been suspended had the posting been out of their control. The posting of the video was wrong, not the act.

And that could absolutely be the case. But to your point, maybe the Athletic Department wanted to believe the story, but just couldn't. They may have just erred on the safe side and suspended the players while they looked into the matter. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. The last thing the U needed was another sec scandal of any kind. Especially if Goetz wants the FT job.

Is that really fair to the players? Innocent until proven guilty no? I don't think they would have been suspended had the posting been out of their control. The posting of the video was wrong, not the act.

Innocent until proven guilty only applies to law, not your basketball team.

As I said in the other thread. This makes more sense to me except one thing. Why isn't the video posted again elsewhere yet?

Innocent until proven guilty only applies to law, not your basketball team.

Right, so having sex is not breaking the law, and according to Dorsey, he didn't post the video. So what did the players do to deserve to be suspended?

Could have had the carrier brick the phone remotely.

Carriers can't do that. All they can do is blacklist the IMEI which would prevent the phone from accessing a cellular network but wouldn't disable Wi-Fi. If a carrier could wipe a cell phone at any time, it would be on the nightly news alongside this Apple story.

Dorsey himself could have remotely erased it if he had Find My iPhone set up, which is not necessarily unlikely. It's usually something that you would have to specifically disable.

All that being said, it is a big mistake to not use a passcode. It is a bigger mistake to not use a passcode when you have explicit content on your phone. It is a supremely big mistake to not have a passcode when you are a Big Ten Athlete with explicit content on your phone.

You clearly don't understand the apple-FBI dispute/conversation.

I think it is you who does not understand the fbi's inability to access the terrorist's phone.

Could have had the carrier brick the phone remotely.

Also if the person who stole it was vindictive they may not repost it since the repost might confirm the stolen phone story.

OMG - terrorists stole Kevin Dorsey's phone!

And the dog ate my homework.

Not buying it.

Top Bottom