Gopher Softball 2022

…In a traditional fully-seeded snaking bracket, Oklahoma would get the worst 2-seed and best 3-seed. Minnesota and Texas A&M were probably ranked right next to each other in the Committee’s rankings…
This “fully seeded snaking bracket” doesn’t exist in college softball! Location and associated driving distance matters much more than the 1-64 seeding scheme so that a #1 overall seed is not going to be matched up with the #32 overall seed and so forth.

Mike Grimm podcast with Piper Ritter and Erika Smyth:

Last edited:

This “fully seeded snaking bracket” doesn’t exist in college softball! Location and associated driving distance matters much more than the 1-64 seeding scheme so that a #1 overall seed is not going to be matched up with the #32 overall seed and so forth.
Yes, they have to ditch the minimize flights with the 400-mile bus rule and seed 1-64 to get closer to a snaking bracket. Due to the no two teams from the same conference in a regional rule, a true snaking bracket is probably never possible anyway. However, the committee does attempt to balance the brackets as best they can within the above limitations. I’m merely arguing that the Norman regional is probably pretty close to what that regional would look like if they could snake the bracket.

We put up with your uninformed softball takes because this is a softball forum but your political views don’t belong here. Take it somewhere else.
Just a little harsh...."your uninformed softball takes"...I for one have loved reading Hrothgar's comments on this board. Not sure how many I have seen from Gopher6389. If you ask me there is no reason that Softball doesn't go back to the rotating site approach they did in the past. Just saying! Sure seems like a huge advantage to local schools that get to be home for the toughest part of the season while some schools may only play 5-7 game series at home. Maybe the political issue will help solve the real issue of an unfair advantage. Let's also admit that maybe the money needs to spread around the country instead just to Ok every year! Then again it is about the best thing going for Ok!

I am strongly pro-Hrothgar-softball-takes despite them consistently being more pessimistic than my views. As for anybody’s more political posts, I probably could go without them and be just fine.

I am strongly pro-Hrothgar-softball-takes despite them consistently being more pessimistic than my views. As for anybody’s more political posts, I probably could go without them and be just fine.
Thanks for your words. And GopherSBFan's too. I wrote nothing political in my post. Neither did I intend any. I was only posing a question.

As for as my relative pessimism, I admit there's some truth but only recently. I know no Gophers coaches, players, or parents personally. I just comment about what I see on the playing field. Up to and including 2019, I applauded every Gopher softball move enthusiastically, even those with less than happy outcomes, because they were anchored in essentially solid coaching strategy and players' performance. Since 2020, too much has been perplexing or seemingly carried out against the axioms of the sport and with no given explanation as to why.

Given the draconian abortion legislation in Oklahoma, will there be a movement to boycott the WCWS in that state?
Logistically would be almost impossible, recently extended ncaa with venue to 2035 and with the number of annual youth tournaments around the area contracts aside there's nowhere else fit for moving it to

I am a little behind on watching the game. Heads up base running by Denson in the top of the third to get to third and eventually score. Had the throw been lower to home, she probably would have been out.

I remember posting this before. I still find it interesting when a team scores, their pitcher gives up run(s) right after that and they end up either tied with their opponent or relinquishing the lead. By the way, are there any stats that anybody is aware of on that? It is really frustrating as a fan....anyway, it is for ths one.

Bad defense early in the inning costs them. And only one hit in the game, better wake up the bats!

Enough with these reviews, let's just get this over with and get ready for Prairie View.

Gophers have scored 2 runs in the last 21 innings; one of those thx to Denton's heads up baserunning after a wild throw. Guess we can't blame MN pitchers for the losses.

Honestly, with the juggernaut of Oklahoma in our bracket, this whole tournament was always going to come down to us versus Texas A and M on Saturday night anyway with the goal always being to play Oklahoma on Sunday. Win or loss today… it really didn’t matter for the purpose of meeting our goal on getting to compete on Sunday.

Actually, we have a BETTER chance of playing on Sunday by losing today. It sets up a Prarie View then Texas A&M Saturday as compared to an Oklahoma then Texas A&M Saturday. I like our chances of beating Texas A&M tomorrow night better this way.

Last edited:

I remember posting this before. I still find it interesting when a team scores, their pitcher gives up run(s) right after that and they end up either tied with their opponent or relinquishing the lead. By the way, are there any stats that anybody is aware of on that? It is really frustrating as a fan....anyway, it is for ths one.
Are we really gonna blame this loss on pitching? Don’t get me wrong out pitching has been an issue all season but that certainly is NOT the reason we lose this game.

May no hitter through 4 and she's not that good should be an easy run rule tomorrow

Are we really gonna blame this loss on pitching? Don’t get me wrong out pitching has been an issue all season but that certainly is NOT the reason we lose this game.
Oh did I actually say WE LOST THIS GAME BECAUSE OF PITCHING? Please point it out to me where I used those words.

That post came immediately after we scored in the top of the third and our opponents scored in the bottom of the third. So please back off.

Last edited:

Oh did I actrually say WE LOST THIS GAME BECAUSE OF PITCHING? Please point it out to me where I used those words.
My bad, you mentioned pitchers giving up run(s) after we scored and wanted the stats on that. Apparently, I misunderstood your point. Obviously, giving up hits contributed to the lose but…

May no hitter through 4 and she's not that good should be an easy run rule tomorrow
While I too think we will beat Prarie View, let’s not get too wacky with our assertions: Nicole May is a really good pitcher with a 12-0 record and a 1.0 ERA.

Michigan loses in the 11th inning against UCF. Likely could've avoided this by just bringing in Storako instead of Widra to get the save and be resting until tomorrow lmao. Hope SDSU takes them out next.

Perfect situation to put up a few more in second and let Hollifield finish the game

Top Bottom