Gopher Softball 2022

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Ya know… not really. Almost all the Big Ten teams went out of the NCAA tournament today (Saturday).

I fear most casual Gopher softball fans don’t fully understand that Texas A&M is a very talented SEC team. There is no shame in losing to Texas A&M out of the SEC.
Could you give a quick rundown of who lost out and who's remaining? I can't keep track. As for losing big leads, the Gophers' pitching just has to get better next year, big time. The TV announcers were saying lots of positive things about the Gophers, including how bright their future is, but by the end they were pretty quiet. The thing that stood out most was how good A & M's tall left-handed pitcher was, and she's only a freshman.

ecoperson

Reaction score
Could you give a quick rundown of who lost out and who's remaining? I can't keep track. As for losing big leads, the Gophers' pitching just has to get better next year, big time. The TV announcers were saying lots of positive things about the Gophers, including how bright their future is, but by the end they were pretty quiet. The thing that stood out most was how good A & M's tall left-handed pitcher was, and she's only a freshman.
NCAA has an up to date bracket. https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/softball/d1/2022

#2Gopher

Reaction score
Texas A & M got clobbered 20-0 today. I'm not so sure if we would like to have been on the receiving end of that one should we also had gotten clobbered.

rugger14

Reaction score
Texas A & M got clobbered 20-0 today. I'm not so sure if we would like to have been on the receiving end of that one should we also had gotten clobbered.

I would have preferred to have had the chance.to get clobbered! Having fun watching some other games. FSU vs Miss St is a good game.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Which is why we made the tournament with a just above .500 record.
I don't think it was the tough schedule alone. Season long it was more like too many big leads or late inning leads relinquished by the pitchers and too many RISP stranded by the hitters. Equal.

Twocents

Reaction score
With the NIL and the Transfer Portal today’s DI Athletics is the wild west. I think every team will have a dramatic roster turnover. With Oklahoma announcing they will pay each softball player 40k through NIL money it shows where this is heading. This would be an extremely difficult time to be a coach.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
With the NIL and the Transfer Portal today’s DI Athletics is the wild west. I think every team will have a dramatic roster turnover. With Oklahoma announcing they will pay each softball player 40k through NIL money it shows where this is heading. This would be an extremely difficult time to be a coach.
Oklahoma has licensed shirt jerseys for Jordy, Alo, Jennings, and Coleman and a few of them signed to players collective agency but that's about all I've seen for sponsorships. Fouts did a few ads for HR Block gender parity campaign nothing bigger for sponsors. Really isn't much NIL or TV money yet in softball to worry about, far cry from the Jimbo fisher pocketbook

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Alabama will have most dramatic turnover, 2 transferred out, KB Sides who won SEC player of year said on podcast coach Murphy told her she didn't have a roster spot and her mom said a senior told her she was washed up. Drama with bullying on team and idk what else could open the floodgates

Twocents

Reaction score
Oklahoma has licensed shirt jerseys for Jordy, Alo, Jennings, and Coleman and a few of them signed to players collective agency but that's about all I've seen for sponsorships. Fouts did a few ads for HR Block gender parity campaign nothing bigger for sponsors. Really isn't much NIL or TV money yet in softball to worry about, far cry from the Jimbo fisher pocketbook

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Bovada lines up for game 1 supers (no series or futures yet)

Arizona -120 / Mississippi St -120 / OU 9.5 runs
Virginia Tech -155 / Florida +115 / OU 7.5
Arkansas -250 / Texas +170 / OU 10.5
Oklahoma -1600 / UCF +700 / OU 9.5 / 5.5 run spread
OK St -450 / Clemson +275 / OU 5.5
Arizona St -200 / Northwestern +150 / OU 11.5
Stanford -120 / Oregon St -120
UCLA -300 / Duke +200 / OU 9.0

Hrothgar

Reaction score
The Strib has an (admittedly not-so-long) article on Gophers softball today, indicating hope in the return of Leavitt and Evans next year. They probably should've waited another day and checked the transfer portal. Gophers softball can't possibly be facing a 2023 repeat of 2022 in the circle, can they, with only Pease and an incoming freshman pitcher? A pitching staff of two again? So hard to know what's needed, new & better recruits or new & better coaching? In general it's also hard to figure the BIG; 7 or 8 teams in the NCAA, only NW in the supers, and they had a weak regional field to compete against. I'll leave off rambling.....& hope for the best.

Top Bottom