Gopher Softball 2022

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Kilfoyl (their #2 pitcher) and Goodnight (#3 hitter) also transferring but Fouts is staying for bama. Edit and #4 hitter + bench bat to make it 6

Last edited:

Go Gophs

Reaction score
She needs to find more dominate pitching
Yes, agreed. Go to Sara and talk with her. I'm sure they do, but SZS generally has been a producer of Minnesota's top pitching. That or look out of state.

Not sure why they weren't able to get the kid that went to Oregon or the one that throws for Maple lake now. But those are the ones that should have been up to the top of their list.

Also, they need to start looking to add at least 2 per year.

smcouvillion

Reaction score
The kid that went to Oregon? I'm assuming you're referring to Allison Benning. She sat out the entire year for Oregon other than some ABs and a few innings. Her pitching never really impressed me.

smcouvillion

Reaction score
It's going to be a few more years until Minnesota is a tournament team again. Can't rely on freshman, transfers that you don't have, and a few decent players on your roster.

Pitching is atrocious. I called the Leavitt transfer a few months ago, knew confidence & mental health had something to do with it. Going after Kilfoyl wouldn't be a smart move. It would be Pease 2.0, she gets injured every year. Hopefully Pease pitches better next year after regrouping in the offseason and recovering from the shoulder issues. Schwartz is a big question mark. She could perform like Leavitt did this season, or she could have a breakout freshman campaign. Who knows? Hollifield, where do you even begin? Evans kinda surprised me, and she was one of the better hitters.

Jaydee

Reaction score
The kid that went to Oregon? I'm assuming you're referring to Allison Benning. She sat out the entire year for Oregon other than some ABs and a few innings. Her pitching never really impressed me.
Agreed. Benning never lived up to the hype IMO. She got a lot of attention because she was coached by Sara Moulton, who a lot of people respect, obviously. But her pitching relied on batters panicking and swinging at garbage. A good batter could see she couldn’t hit her spots and make her throw strikes, which would frustrate Benning and make her wild, which is probably what they found at Oregon. I’m glad Gophers didn’t get her. As far as local pitchers, Schwartz and Dueck are far better talent. I think both are better hitters as well.
I will never understand why Piper (and Trachsel) wouldn’t allow their pitchers to hit. Dueck was maybe the best hitter in the state coming into college. Schwartz is a very good hitter as well. So was Hostettler. Hopefully Schwartz will get a shot at the plate.

rugger14

Reaction score
Yes, agreed. Go to Sara and talk with her. I'm sure they do, but SZS generally has been a producer of Minnesota's top pitching. That or look out of state.

Not sure why they weren't able to get the kid that went to Oregon or the one that throws for Maple lake now. But those are the ones that should have been up to the top of their list.

Also, they need to start looking to add at least 2 per year.

So Strike Zone Sports is the place to go?

Jaydee

Reaction score
Michigan’s Alex Storako just entered the portal. She has one year of eligibility. I didn’t see that one coming.

Reaction score
Michigan’s Alex Storako just entered the portal. She has one year of eligibility. I didn’t see that one coming.
Widra is also in the portal for Michigan....With Beaubien being done...what does MI have left? Leavitt to MI?

Go Gophs

Reaction score
Agreed. Benning never lived up to the hype IMO. She got a lot of attention because she was coached by Sara Moulton, who a lot of people respect, obviously. But her pitching relied on batters panicking and swinging at garbage. A good batter could see she couldn’t hit her spots and make her throw strikes, which would frustrate Benning and make her wild, which is probably what they found at Oregon. I’m glad Gophers didn’t get her. As far as local pitchers, Schwartz and Dueck are far better talent. I think both are better hitters as well.
I will never understand why Piper (and Trachsel) wouldn’t allow their pitchers to hit. Dueck was maybe the best hitter in the state coming into college. Schwartz is a very good hitter as well. So was Hostettler. Hopefully Schwartz will get a shot at the plate.
Hostetler was and is not a top hitter. She's not a bad hitter, but definitely not a D1 hitter. She had a ton of potential in the circle, but her control really suffered after an injury she had after maybe here sophomore/junior year? She is having trouble even getting innings at Augsburg who is a bottom tier MIAC team. Good kid, I hope things turn around for her.

Go Gophs

Reaction score
So Strike Zone Sports is the place to go?
Alot of the top pitchers in the state go there. And if she doesn't coach them, she would know who they were or have a connection somehow. Jessa Snippes though is coached by Kent Reed out of Elko/New Market. He is really good as well.

NextYear_76

Reaction score
Alabama has six players that have entered the portal including three freshman starters. The portal is going to get wild this year.

smcouvillion

Reaction score
She was originally committed to Oklahoma State, possible that she ends up there with both Day & Elish graduating this year

Top Bottom