Gopher Softball 2022

This season the Gophers struggle at pitching and definitely clutch hitting. What percentage of the issues should be falling on the players shoulders? What percent on the coaches?

Pease looked like she didn't want to be there. And Leavitt comes in with bases loaded laughing and joking. Funny, the next pitch is a hit batter and brings in a run.

And Leavitt comes in with bases loaded laughing and joking. Funny, the next pitch …
Come-on! You can’t blame a freshman for trying to avoid tensing-up in that situation. It didn’t work out but trying to stay mentally loose is a legitimate strategy that doesn’t deserve criticism.

This season the Gophers struggle at pitching and definitely clutch hitting. What percentage of the issues should be falling on the players shoulders? What percent on the coaches?
Definition of insanity…

We need clutch hitting but it’s on the coaches to produce a better hitting lineup. The lineup we have now just doesn’t have any chemistry. We’re boring to watch at times.
Something is not right within the team. Maybe that poster from a couple of weeks ago was telling the truth about the bleak outlook this upcoming offseason.

I admit I am more than a bit concerned about our pitchers’ inability to throw strikes right now. But winning solves a lot of apparent chemistry problems. Hopefully this game is a wake up call.

It appears that bottom of the Big Ten is a vastly improved. But the “Big 3” of the recent past looks like it might be the “Big 1” — Northwestern. I see Michigan and Storako lost to Nebraska in Ann Arbor, and they are battling again in Game 2 of that doubleheader. Illinois lost at Purdue, while Ohio State split a doubleheader with Indiana — getting run-ruled 17-5 in the nightcap — in Columbus. We just haven’t seen parity like this in conference for many, many years, if ever.

Come-on! You can’t blame a freshman for trying to avoid tensing-up in that situation. It didn’t work out but trying to stay mentally loose is a legitimate strategy that doesn’t deserve criticism.
She's pitched in enough games to know when to focus. Playing Rutgers is different than ranked teams or the pressure situations of PGF championship games.

Not optimistic that Pease finishes the season, offseason shoulder issues/surgery and total lack of control they'd be better off shutting her down. Problem again is we have nobody else
Was there any aggressive effort to find a veteran pitcher during offseason by transfer, if she was injured or having surgery? Hard to understand what the thinking/planning was.

Pease looked like she didn't want to be there. And Leavitt comes in with bases loaded laughing and joking. Funny, the next pitch is a hit batter and brings in a run.
I attended a women's sports psychology seminar a few years ago. The sports psychologists, who were women, received a question about like yours. "Why are women athletes always smiling or laughing in tight situations?" They answered, "that's how female athletes typically respond to pressure, a reaction most male athletes can't identify with and find very strange."

Success of a program falls a lot on a Head Coach. Maybe it shouldn't be looked at that way, but it just does in the eyes of many fans.

Seeing as this is Ritter's first year as HC, I now am wondering, if the pressure has somewhat affected her focus on being a TOP PITCHING COACH....just wondering.

I attended a women's sports psychology seminar a few years ago. The sports psychologists, who were women, received a question about like yours. "Why are women athletes always smiling or laughing in tight situations?" They answered, "that's how female athletes typically respond to pressure, a reaction most male athletes can't identify with and find very strange."
I have always wondered about the psychological aspect of any sport in how much of a role it plays in the results of a game/match etc. etc. etc.

How many times in this sport do you see a team give their pitcher a lead and that pitcher turns right around and relinquishes that lead in the opponents next at bat? It happens so so many times. As we have witnessed many times here at Minnesota, staying focused during the task at hand is not handled by every player like it should be.

Success of a program falls a lot on a Head Coach. Maybe it shouldn't be looked at that way, but it just does in the eyes of many fans.

Seeing as this is Ritter's first year as HC, I now am wondering, if the pressure has somewhat affected her focus on being a TOP PITCHING COACH....just wondering.
This is Ritter's second season being the Gophers head coach.

Was there any aggressive effort to find a veteran pitcher during offseason by transfer, if she was injured or having surgery? Hard to understand what the thinking/planning was.
If you recall, during the summer and at the start of the fall season, Minnesota had four capable pitchers - Pease, Dueck, Hostettler, and Leavitt. Near the end of fall two of them left. Who was in the portal at that time that would have helped fill the staff?

If you recall, during the summer and at the start of the fall season, Minnesota had four capable pitchers - Pease, Dueck, Hostettler, and Leavitt. Near the end of fall two of them left. Who was in the portal at that time that would have helped fill the staff?
I don't know who was in the portals, if anyone. Yet if Pease was injured & having surgery & if Dueck had such chronically bad knees that she soon would give up softball (as reported on this site), those seem like some pretty darned clear warning signs that the pitching staff could become dangerously thin, as it now seems to be. 12 BB & 2 HBP in what? 3 innings?

I don't know who was in the portals, if anyone. Yet if Pease was injured & having surgery & if Dueck had such chronically bad knees that she soon would give up softball (as reported on this site), those seem like some pretty darned clear warning signs that the pitching staff could become dangerously thin, as it now seems to be. 12 BB & 2 HBP in what? 3 innings?
I doubt anybody was in the transfer portal any good at at that time that wanted to come to Minnesota.

To me the issue is that we should have given a reason for Jones to stay and pitch given what we knew about the lack of durability in Pease and Dueck. I am just a fan (not an expert by far) and I could see last year that those two they may not have hundreds of innings between them in them. As for Hostettler, her leaving the team really hurt given the situation we find ourselves in now.

I can understand how that can be, but does that make it best or not? That is the crux. Do the best women athletes respond like that? Honest question.

Last edited:

I can understand how that can be, but does that make it best or not? That is the crux. Do the best women athletes respond like that? Honest question.
Fair question. In my experience, many of the best play their best when they are loose and relaxed, and in order to stay that way they smile and laugh with teammates. Of course there are others who are more serious and intense, a good example of that are the players for Oklahoma. One is not better than the other but simply a reflection of the player.

For those who may not know the sports psychology behind the smiling and laughing...it actually allows a player to stay out of the "panic mode" and negative self talk that is frequent among athletes when faced with a high pressure situation - and I would say more prevalent for women than on the mens side. (Not a sexist comment - just a generalization that is clearly not always true). Men in general, have a greater likelihood of a higher level of self confidence whether warranted or not. Therefore, tend to be more intense under pressure.

All of this is very individual. I made several very general statements above. It is the job of the coaches to understand their players and interact with them in the way that maximizes the person as a whole and the player on the field. Great coaches are masters at this.

Last edited:

Why is our team so quiet? I don’t see anyone talking in the infield or hear anything from anywhere. Two straight walks to start the game. Here we go again. Make some noise!

Now these softball Gophers could be a contender. Watch out Michigan and Nebraska.

Speaking of pitching coach, is there any coach's status report on Pease? Her last two outings have been very poor. There has to be a cause.

Still sticking with the same lineup today instead of letting underclassmen play vs a bad conference opponent

Still sticking with the same lineup today instead of letting underclassmen play vs a bad conference opponent
My guess is that they think people like us will be more angry if they lose (which was already proven possible on Friday).

I doubt anybody was in the transfer portal any good at at that time that wanted to come to Minnesota.

To me the issue is that we should have given a reason for Jones to stay and pitch given what we knew about the lack of durability in Pease and Dueck. I am just a fan (not an expert by far) and I could see last year that those two they may not have hundreds of innings between them in them. As for Hostettler, her leaving the team really hurt given the situation we find ourselves in now.
hostettler is struggling mightily at division 3 augsburg. i don’t think she would have been a big help at this point. not to say she couldn’t figure it out at some point, but her stats right now are not good.

Attachments

• 84858572-205D-4308-B365-38530EEA93D6.jpeg
    84858572-205D-4308-B365-38530EEA93D6.jpeg
    169.7 KB · Views: 17

hostettler is struggling mightily at division 3 augsburg. i don’t think she would have been a big help at this point. not to say she couldn’t figure it out at some point, but her stats right now are not good.
Uh, yeah. It’s all right there for us to see the problem. 37 walks in 21 innings tells all - major command problems.

I see clearly now on this particular topic thanks to junc1929’s research.

And my daughter is being recruited right now and we've decided that she isn't going somewhere that she doesn't play regularly.

Top Bottom