Gopher Softball 2022

Can anybody explain how to get the Longhorn Network for today's Gophers games? We kept being referred to our area provider MediaCom, which did not respond.

Can anybody explain how to get the Longhorn Network for today's Gophers games? We kept being referred to our area provider MediaCom, which did not respond.
Google freestreams-live they have it, just have adblockers ready all sort of pop-up ads

I wasn't trying to be condescending but merely showing off the challenge (and my frustration) of collegiate sports today. It has become a money game. The more money that comes into the game, the less invested (pun intended!) I am in the college game.
No problem. Sorry. Just me trying to make sense late at night after watching news reports from Ukraine. No harm meant. Maybe we can take refuge in DIII sports?

I am able to watch a replay of this game on ESPN3 with Xfinity as my Internet Provider and fuboTV my TV Provider.

I don't have any inside info, just guesswork. I've wondered if Allister was planning to leave (or considering it) before 2017. I say that because after the great recruiting class of Fiser, Partain, Lindaman, etc., she had an average recruiting class the next year. I wonder if her thoughts weren't already somewhere else. She also kept saying "I'm not going anywhere." Maybe I read too much Hamlet, but that comment sounded a lot like 'methinks the lady doth protest too much.'
I believe we had some previously verbally committed players re-open their recruiting between the time Allister left and signing day in the fall. In fact, I believe one of those players is a fifth-year senior on the current Stanford squad. We also had a different kid from South Dakota committed under Allister, but ended up swapping her for Lindner. I don’t know whether that was the player’s decision or the new coaching staff’s and I don’t recall where that other player eventually ended up.

I believe we had some previously verbally committed players re-open their recruiting between the time Allister left and signing day in the fall. In fact, I believe one of those players is a fifth-year senior on the current Stanford squad. We also had a different kid from South Dakota committed under Allister, but ended up swapping her for Lindner. I don’t know whether that was the player’s decision or the new coaching staff’s and I don’t recall where that other player eventually ended up.
Minnesota did get two SD players the year Allister left - Ali Lindner and Emma Burns. I don't recall there being another. Burns left after one year of Jamie and is now at Syracuse.

Minnesota did get two SD players the year Allister left - Ali Lindner and Emma Burns. I don't recall there being another. Burns left after one year of Jamie and is now at Syracuse.
Not Syracuse, Mount Marty in the NAIA. She is their best player.

It would be (at least mildly) interesting to know how many times in 2021 & 2022 Gophers hitters have ended a half inning with the bases loaded. My informal count this evening was 3.

Getting crushed hurts less when we can see some reserve players getting a chance.

As for Valencia’s home run… good for her. I admit I didn’t know she had it in her, despite some Fall-ball rave reviews from some fans. I was dismissive of those fan reports and I probably was wrong to be so dismissive.

Getting crushed hurts less when we can see some reserve players getting a chance.

As for Valencia’s home run… good for her. I admit I didn’t know she had it in her, despite some Fall-ball rave reviews from some fans. I was dismissive of those fan reports and I probably was wrong to be so dismissive.
Hard to believe a player as hyped as Valencia didn't get her first at bat until game #24. BTW the track I followed first said Valencia hit the HR, but then changed it to Kinch.

Hope this will help those interested now and in the future watching the LHN.

I am able to watch a REPLAY of the games on ESPN3 with Xfinity as my Internet Provider and fuboTV my TV Provider. I must add I have a ROKU with the ESPN App. So basically I am streaming these games ON DEMAND. If you can, go into the ESPN App and then after arrowing down click on the Big 12 Conference. I believe Xfinity Internet is allowing these replays because fuboTV DOES NOT HAVE the LHN Network in it's subscription.

Now to watch the Longhorn Network LIVE....
LHN can be streamed ONLY via the ESPN App and on computers, iOS, Android, AppleTV, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, Roku devices with a SUBSCRIPTION from an affiliated video service provider. https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/28/GEN_0728134519.aspx

I want to add Cat Osterman was co-announcing the game.

Hansen hitting .400 6 RBI 6 walks with a whopping 15 AB for the season and was a solid hitter last year
She was also hurt last year and they weren't sure if she would even be able to play this year. My guess is it's still not better.

So how does the team look this year? Competitive to win the Big Ten? How about being competitive nationally? Saw the results against the Oklahoma teams earlier this week were not great.
Well since no one answered this, and based on the 3-12 loss to Texas yesterday, I guess I will make my own inferences about the national part. Hopefully the ladies can still compete for a Big Ten title though!

Well since no one answered this, and based on the 3-12 loss to Texas yesterday, I guess I will make my own inferences about the national part. Hopefully the ladies can still compete for a Big Ten title though!
I think they are one more high average power threat plus a true dominant #1 pitcher away from being truly competitive nationally. This year looks to be kind of a transition year but I’m not wavering on my belief that we can be competitive with anyone in the Big Ten if Piper can get both of our primary pitchers to have more command of their pitches.

Well since no one answered this…
Gophers_4life said:
So how does the team look this year? Competitive to win the Big Ten? How about being competitive nationally? Saw the results against the Oklahoma teams earlier this week were not great.
I kinda thought this was intended as a funny joke. Didn’t you read any of the 17 pages of posts in this thread? The competitiveness of the Gopher’s softball team, nationally and in conference, was sort of a well-worn topic… for many months now.

I think they are one more high average power threat plus a true dominant #1 pitcher away from being truly competitive nationally. This year looks to be kind of a transition year but I’m not wavering on my belief that we can be competitive with anyone in the Big Ten if Piper can get both of our primary pitchers to have more command of their pitches.
This team has real talent, but not no pitching. What's happened? This isn't Gopher softball. Getting hard to watch.

The pitchers are consistently starting ABs behind in the count, then are forced to come over the plate to good hitters without an overpowering fastball. That was essentially Fiser's trouble last year also, except that she had real velocity to fall back on, usually anyway.

The pitchers are consistently starting ABs behind in the count, then are forced to come over the plate to good hitters without an overpowering fastball. That was essentially Fiser's trouble last year also, except that she had real velocity to fall back on, usually anyway.
Falling behind in the count is a pitching killer. Especially with the zone college softball has. Combine that with the number of walks they are giving up plus the homeruns. They are in a tough spot right now. Free bases and the long ball with make winning games difficult. Starters whip right now is over 2.00.....got to get that turned around, hopefully the weekend off helps.

Falling behind in the count is a pitching killer. Especially with the zone college softball has. Combine that with the number of walks they are giving up plus the homeruns. They are in a tough spot right now. Free bases and the long ball with make winning games difficult. Starters whip right now is over 2.00.....got to get that turned around, hopefully the weekend off helps.
We just aren't used to having significant pitching woes. We are used to complaining about the hitting.

I was one of those rave reviewers of Valencia in fall ball. Of Chavez, too. Hostettler as well (mysterious disappearance). I stick by that. This Gophers team has lots of real talent & more coming in; they need to play athletes w/ real punch at the plate, though, not utility players. And get the pitchers painting the corners again.

I was one of those rave reviewers of Valencia in fall ball. Of Chavez, too. Hostettler as well (mysterious disappearance). I stick by that. This Gophers team has lots of real talent & more coming in; they need to play athletes w/ real punch at the plate, though, not utility players. And get the pitchers painting the corners again.
I was glad to see Chavez earn her spot back. Also Valencia coming in cold off the bench in her first at-bat and going yard, incredibly difficult to do considering the circumstances. I would like to see her get more opportunities or I’m afraid we may not keep her. A 2023 power lineup with Kinch, Evans, Valencia and Chavez sounds really good to me.
I agree 100% that we need more pop in the lineup. Seems like whenever we have runners in scoring position that we have a slapped up. We need a base knock on the moment not a slap hit in the infield.

Last edited:

I was glad to see Chavez earn her spot back. Also Valencia coming in cold off the bench in her first at-bat and going yard, incredibly difficult to do considering the circumstances. I would like to see her get more opportunities or I’m afraid we may not keep her. A 2023 power lineup with Kinch, Evans, Valencia and Chavez sounds really good to me.
I agree 100% that we need more pop in the lineup. Seems like whenever we have runners in scoring position that we have a slapped up. We need a base knock on the moment not a slap hit in the infield.
Agree that we need more pop in the lineup, but thinking that Kinch, Evans, Valencia, and Chavez are going to provide it seems a little premature from a group that only has 21 homeruns in their collective careers (with Kinch having 11 of those 21). I think Evans is on the cusp of being that type of player, but don't see what you are seeing from Chavez and Valencia to say they are the power we need in 2023 (1 HR each through 24 games).

Last edited:

Agree that we need more pop in the lineup, but thinking that Kinch, Evans, Valencia, and Chavez are going to provide it seems a little premature from a group that only has 21 homeruns in their collective careers (with Kinch having 11 of those 21). I think Evans is on the cusp of being that type of player, but don't see what you are seeing from Chavez and Valencia to say they are the power we need in 2023 (1 HR each through 24 games).
Right, I am going by stats and potential. Kinch 2nd in HR’s last season behind Denhartog. Evans 2nd behind Denhartog this season so far. Chavez belted 23 HRs in high school. Valencia has one HR in ONE at bat lol.

Top Bottom