Gopher softball 2021

Big mistake by Fresno not intentionally walking Denhartog
She is cruising on the mound. Hopefully she'll get through the 7th unscathed thereby saving the others.
I was looking forward to that. Piper was guilty of over coaching by bringing in Fiser to “start” the 7th. Better to leave Pease in who was crusing and then bring in Fiser if Pease gives up a couple hits. Fresno hits speed better and just came off a 3-run rally off Garcia. It turned out ok but changing just to change to me made no sense with 7-8-9 coming up.

Athletes are people too, not just entertainment. Also think Pease threw solid.
Of course they are people. I don’t know them... but I would be willing to bet that they will be even more entertained tomorrow...actually playing the game.

I thought my banal statement of excitement for them winning tonight and then, as result of that win, playing again tomorrow against UCLA was a universal truth among Gopher fans.

I bet UCLA with throw Megan Faraimo against us in game one (leaving Garcia as their insurance for game two against the Gophers). Faraimo is basically the same pitcher as Michigan’s Alex Storako, who we hit so well against a couple of Sundays ago. The Gopher coaches could anticipate that likelihood and use that game plan.

Now if we get Garcia instead... I got nothing. Pray, maybe.

I bet UCLA with throw Megan Faraimo against us in game one (leaving Garcia as their insurance for game two against the Gophers). Faraimo is basically the same pitcher as Michigan’s Alex Storako, who we hit so well against a couple of Sundays ago. The Gopher coaches could anticipate that likelihood and use that game plan.

Now if we get Garcia instead... I got nothing. Pray, maybe.
UCLA offense didn't do much until 8th when pitcher ran out of steam. Defense needs to be perfect since a win would likely be 3-2 score

Fell asleep, sorry I am not as young as I use to be, to wake up to the most exciting throw to home plate I've witnessed this season for sure. Then watching Strelow topping it off with a two run dinger, which made it easier to breathe.

Not sure what is going to happen today, the odds are not in our favor. I just hope (again) that they go out and play the best softball they can and enjoy the moment.

I am very happy for this team and the Gopher softball program. Now, let's see who will step up their game today. We will need a few of those.

Tough match up today unless we draw Faraimo. Time for somebody not named DenHartog or Partain to get hot. Announcers will be typically thinking it's over before we play so would be great to pull off the upset. Go Gophers !

Call looked like not tagging up but stupid espn coverage doesn't have replays working

We are all disappointed, but I want to thank this team (especially the sr.) for taking this program to this level. I hope there are players in the pipeline that can continue at this level and get us back to Oklahoma City.

Need a fall season to get experience and a couple non conference invitationals for next year

I was looking forward to that. Piper was guilty of over coaching by bringing in Fiser to “start” the 7th. Better to leave Pease in who was crusing and then bring in Fiser if Pease gives up a couple hits. Fresno hits speed better and just came off a 3-run rally off Garcia. It turned out ok but changing just to change to me made no sense with 7-8-9 coming up.
Completely agree with this!

Sorry for the late comment. Had to get up early for our tournament today.

Michigan 5-1 lead turned into 5-9 and still not out of the inning, error and slow throw by 2B to keep damage going. Bates drag bunt fielded without a throw for 10th

Our Super Seniors really bridged 2021 for us and gave us a great year. Without Partain, Fiser and others returning, there is no chance at all that this softball year would have yielded this positive of a result (a Sunday loss at legendary Easton stadium to Rachel Garcia). Not a bad way for our Super Seniors to end their great college careers.

Sorry, a little late on the posting.....out of town, but caught the game.

Really enjoyed Pease taking control of the game except for one inning

Controversial pitch IMO to Partain with two on for us to tie it up or go ahead. However, she had the right idea with her last at bat....just didn't quite work out for her. Cannot get down on her at all because she has done so much for this team, when needed, in her career as a Gopher.

Absolutely, did not understand the coaching staff's strategy with pitching in the 7th, moving Dray to cleanup and hitting. Yes Dray scored our only run, but her bat was pretty silent during the Championship.

Feel this weekend can only help with Gopher recruiting moving forward. Hanging with UCLA was a great accomplishment for this team.

Super Seniors move on leaving many questions with the remaining roster for next season. They all will be missed.

Last edited:

Sorry, a little late on the posting.....out of town, but caught the game.

Really enjoyed Pease taking control of the game except for one inning

Controversial pitch IMO to Partain with two on for us to tie it up or go ahead. However, she had the right idea with her last at bat....just didn't quite work out for her. Cannot get down on her at all because she has done so much for this team, when needed, in her career as a Gopher.

Absolutely, did not understand the coaching staff's strategy with pitching in the 7th, moving Dray to cleanup and hitting. Yes Dray scored our only run, but her bat was pretty silent during the Championship.

Feel this weekend can only help with Gopher recruiting moving forward. Hanging with UCLA was a great accomplishment for this team.

Super Seniors move on leaving many questions with the remaining roster for next season. They all will be missed.
Seeing them go marks the end of an era. A new one has to begin.

Only got a brief chance to see much of anything during the regional, but I was pleased with how hard they competed, at least on the scoreboard.

Congrats on great careers for the seniors!!! You all certainly made your marks on Gopher softball!!! You all will be missed next year and in the future!!

On the online TV schedule site I look at, it shows that ABC will be showing a super-regionals game this Saturday. They will be showing "Oklahoma vs. Washburn." And some people still say the media shows little respect for college softball!

Top Bottom