Gopher softball 2021

MRJ

Reaction score
Oklahoma Coach Gasso speaks her mind:

“Some of the matchups throughout the entire tournament are mind boggling, just the worst I think I’ve seen since I’ve been doing this; no rhyme, no reason where you think, ‘OK, it looks like they used strength of schedule here, but they didn’t use strength of schedule with this team,’” started Gasso, who mentioned she was also surprised the committee gave her team the nod at No. 1. “No, it’s mind boggling, and what they did with the PAC-12 is just—I don’t know. It’s just like unjust, unjust. It was all of them, with the exception of Arizona, which is still kind of a surprise to me. The first PAC-12 team that was seeded was UCLA. The next one was Arizona, and they finished fourth in their conference. You put the second place finisher at 16, which is absolutely a disgrace and disrespect to Washington, which creates a challenge for us.

“But it also has Michigan going there, and I thought Michigan earned a host. But because they were in a different setting with their schedule—and I’ve driven by their conference—they got penalized for that. Washington got penalized for losing to two unranked teams. But you know how many teams that are ranked that they did beat? I felt that Arizona State got seeded too low. They should have probably been more in the 12-, 13-spot.

“So, there’s absolute adoration and love for the SEC. I felt that. I definitely felt that, some of it warranted, some of it not. I thought Wichita State coming here is unfair to them. They deserve better.

“So there’s just a lot of things. Like, Clemson going to Alabama is unreal. So I don’t know. It just saddens me that we all put in a hard body of work and some of everybody’s limitations, whether it’s their conference or their university saying, ‘Hey, we don’t have the money to send you here, or we can’t do this or that because of COVID,’ I just felt like there were zero COVID exceptions in all of this. There wasn’t accountability for some of that.

“I don’t know. I don’t know. There are so many conspiracy theories out there, like ESPN’s trying to create headlines and trying to create these [storylines]. Like Oregon going to Texas, come on. Don’t do that. Don’t do that. But they did.

“And I saw it all playing out, and I’m like, ‘This is ludicrous. It is ludicrous.’ So it’s set up for some, not set up for others. And especially some of these teams that have been in the Top 5, Top 10 in the country all year long, and they get hosed like that, not right, not right.”
Glad to see her speak up. The whole process is/has been comical over the years.

Unfortunately, the NCAA doesn't give a rip. In fact, they really don't give a rip about the balance of women's sports when it comes right down to it. The way they conducted the women's tournaments in other sports this academic year shows you how much the big brass over in Indy really care about the welfare and product of women's sports. They don't even try to hide it.

As a result, I wouldn't expect anything to change unless somebody rattles the big-wigs' cages a bit more in coming months.

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Glad to see her speak up. The whole process is/has been comical over the years.

Unfortunately, the NCAA doesn't give a rip. In fact, they really don't give a rip about the balance of women's sports when it comes right down to it. The way they conducted the women's tournaments in other sports this academic year shows you how much the big brass over in Indy really care about the welfare and product of women's sports. They don't even try to hide it.

As a result, I wouldn't expect anything to change unless somebody rattles the big-wigs' cages a bit more in coming months.
They really don't care about anything except Men's Basketball.

That's where most of their budget comes from.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
To me, it smells of money at some clandestine levels and/or the NCAA committee's general ignorance of the sport of softball.

Gsbfan10

Reaction score
Oklahoma Coach Gasso speaks her mind:

“Some of the matchups throughout the entire tournament are mind boggling, just the worst I think I’ve seen since I’ve been doing this; no rhyme, no reason where you think, ‘OK, it looks like they used strength of schedule here, but they didn’t use strength of schedule with this team,’” started Gasso, who mentioned she was also surprised the committee gave her team the nod at No. 1. “No, it’s mind boggling, and what they did with the PAC-12 is just—I don’t know. It’s just like unjust, unjust. It was all of them, with the exception of Arizona, which is still kind of a surprise to me. The first PAC-12 team that was seeded was UCLA. The next one was Arizona, and they finished fourth in their conference. You put the second place finisher at 16, which is absolutely a disgrace and disrespect to Washington, which creates a challenge for us.

“But it also has Michigan going there, and I thought Michigan earned a host. But because they were in a different setting with their schedule—and I’ve driven by their conference—they got penalized for that. Washington got penalized for losing to two unranked teams. But you know how many teams that are ranked that they did beat? I felt that Arizona State got seeded too low. They should have probably been more in the 12-, 13-spot.

“So, there’s absolute adoration and love for the SEC. I felt that. I definitely felt that, some of it warranted, some of it not. I thought Wichita State coming here is unfair to them. They deserve better.

“So there’s just a lot of things. Like, Clemson going to Alabama is unreal. So I don’t know. It just saddens me that we all put in a hard body of work and some of everybody’s limitations, whether it’s their conference or their university saying, ‘Hey, we don’t have the money to send you here, or we can’t do this or that because of COVID,’ I just felt like there were zero COVID exceptions in all of this. There wasn’t accountability for some of that.

“I don’t know. I don’t know. There are so many conspiracy theories out there, like ESPN’s trying to create headlines and trying to create these [storylines]. Like Oregon going to Texas, come on. Don’t do that. Don’t do that. But they did.

“And I saw it all playing out, and I’m like, ‘This is ludicrous. It is ludicrous.’ So it’s set up for some, not set up for others. And especially some of these teams that have been in the Top 5, Top 10 in the country all year long, and they get hosed like that, not right, not right.”
Thank you for posting this! Patty Gasso is a class act. As the #1 overall seed to be saying this proves the ridiculousness of it all, and the SEC Bias of the committee. Kudos to her for standing up for what is right and wrong with the entire process.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
A couple things:

1. The number one thing to know about sports: it’s entertainment! People think it is pure or something. That’s utter hogwash. It’s the “entertaining” piece that brings in the money that makes everything in this life (as money is our society’s way to value everything) go. So, of course, Oregon and Texas were going to be matched up. Of course they need to create storylines to add drama to attract eyeballs - they are not just going to leave it to the happenstance of the play on the field to do that. Leaving it to happenstance of the play of 20 year olds is too financially risky.

2. I do believe Washington especially and the PAC in general got hosed. I believe LSU specifically and the SEC in general got a good deal in this all. But man, the SEC teams are good. That is obvious. But as importantly, their states’ health departments are open for massed events so that people and visitors can have fun. Again, the entertainment thing. It is the fans in the stands that drive additional energy to the game.

Teams with fans that are complaining are just going to have to play well and win some games. My bet is... some of them will, and that will be fun... and entertaining.

AZGopher8

Reaction score
A couple things:

1. The number one thing to know about sports: it’s entertainment! People think it is pure or something. That’s utter hogwash. It’s the “entertaining” piece that brings in the money that makes everything in this life (as money is our society’s way to value everything) go. So, of course, Oregon and Texas were going to be matched up. Of course they need to create storylines to add drama to attract eyeballs - they are not just going to leave it to the happenstance of the play on the field to do that. Leaving it to happenstance of the play of 20 year olds is too financially risky.

2. I do believe Washington especially and the PAC in general got hosed. I believe LSU specifically and the SEC in general got a good deal in this all. But man, the SEC teams are good. That is obvious. But as importantly, their states’ health departments are open for massed events so that people and visitors can have fun. Again, the entertainment thing. It is the fans in the stands that drive additional energy to the game.

Teams with fans that are complaining are just going to have to play well and win some games. My bet is... some of them will, and that will be fun... and entertaining.
I understand what you are saying about creating drama and match ups to drive more fans to increase revenues, however, that does a HUGE disservice to the hard work these student athletes and coaching staffs have invested. Plus, I would argue that you are not actually drawing more fan interest but diminishing it. It doesn't take a casual fan long to realize that this process is skewed toward the SEC. That takes away a level of legitimacy to the entire sport and undermines it's integrity. That relegates a sport to second class. Softball is already one of the fastest growing sports in the country by participation and following. It doesn't need help to grow or get more eyeballs, the coaches and players have taken care of that by upping the level of competition on the field.

The game is fast, fun, and played in a shorter time frame than baseball. Baseball is losing fans to fastpitch, and I am in that camp. I have always been a huge baseball fan, but who wants to watch everyone strikeout for four hours with 3 homers? Sorry, but that is boring.

Thank you, Patty Gasso, for continuing to be a class act and speaking up for your sport and the thousands of players that deserve better!

Tucker

Reaction score
I have always been a huge baseball fan, but who wants to watch everyone strikeout for four hours with 3 homers?
Virtually every change/development in the game of baseball recently has been designed to turn me off and make me less interested.

I go back to my favorite headline of all time:
The Onion 8/24/18

Baseball Statisticians Unveil New Analytics Model Measuring Precise Amount Of Joy They Suck From The Game :)

Go Gophs!

Gsbfan10

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying about creating drama and match ups to drive more fans to increase revenues, however, that does a HUGE disservice to the hard work these student athletes and coaching staffs have invested. Plus, I would argue that you are not actually drawing more fan interest but diminishing it. It doesn't take a casual fan long to realize that this process is skewed toward the SEC. That takes away a level of legitimacy to the entire sport and undermines it's integrity. That relegates a sport to second class. Softball is already one of the fastest growing sports in the country by participation and following. It doesn't need help to grow or get more eyeballs, the coaches and players have taken care of that by upping the level of competition on the field.

The game is fast, fun, and played in a shorter time frame than baseball. Baseball is losing fans to fastpitch, and I am in that camp. I have always been a huge baseball fan, but who wants to watch everyone strikeout for four hours with 3 homers? Sorry, but that is boring.

Thank you, Patty Gasso, for continuing to be a class act and speaking up for your sport and the thousands of players that deserve better!
Agree with you. And remember, Women’s softball should not be doing anything different from other NCAA sports, men or women. I disagree with the poster about seeding to “entertainment” vs what has been earned. If all things are equal, ok fine. But far too many strange and off seedlings that don’t parallel rankings, eye test, or records.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
I don't know if it's unjust to send MN to the UCLA regional, but not hopeful. It would be great if they can win a couple and get over the 30-win mark. The Gophers 2021 are capable of beating some of the best on given occasions (NW) but also losing games to some of the worst (as has happened a few too many times). We can hope for the best.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I don't know if it's unjust to send MN to the UCLA regional, but not hopeful. It would be great if they can win a couple and get over the 30-win mark. The Gophers 2021 are capable of beating some of the best on given occasions (NW) but also losing games to some of the worst (as has happened a few too many times). We can hope for the best.
I’m hoping for two or more Gopher wins this weekend and zero “run-rule” losses. That would make for a really good, maybe weekend... and softball year.

Gsbfan10

Reaction score
Watching NW (Big 10 3rd seed) play host team Kentucky today, it was obvious to me Kentucky is not in the same class as Michigan. No way should they be hosting. NW should have won the game or at least taken the game to extra innings. Home plate umpire GAVE Kentucky a free run when he called catcher interference on a clean throw to the plate which simply beat the runner and the runner was tagged out. One of the worst calls I have ever seen. Is there now SEC Bias in the umpires too? Just terrible.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Watching NW (Big 10 3rd seed) play host team Kentucky today, it was obvious to me Kentucky is not in the same class as Michigan. No way should they be hosting. NW should have won the game or at least taken the game to extra innings. Home plate umpire GAVE Kentucky a free run when he called catcher interference on a clean throw to the plate which simply beat the runner and the runner was tagged out. One of the worst calls I have ever seen. Is there now SEC Bias in the umpires too? Just terrible.
You didn't see MN vs. Alabama at Alabama in 2017?

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Makes zero sense that stadium is effectively empty when other schools are full and world series will be

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Makes zero sense that stadium is effectively empty when other schools are full and world series will be
Of course it doesn’t make any sense. It’s California... and I received a graduate degree there and have some personal experience with the state (back when it was less crazy... but still a little crazy).

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
FYI....Watching the game FREE on my ESPN App on my ROKU. I have Xfinity for my Internet Service and they are providing access to this game for me to watch on ESPN3. You can watch all games on ESPN3 FREE if you have Xfinity Internet Service.

GringaGopher

Reaction score
Hope we can get our bats going. Pitchers battle with our best hitters chasing that riser from the FS pitcher. Need to make some adjustments going forward.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Hope we can get our bats going. Pitchers battle with our best hitters chasing that riser from the FS pitcher. Need to make some adjustments going forward.
It just doesn’t look to me like we have Dolcini figured out yet at all. Worried.

Tucker

Reaction score
Rachel Garcia of UCLA is 14-0 and has given up 8 earned runs on the year!

Bring her on, we’ll show her a thing or two...lol

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
By the way...I found this interesting. I was wondering if the Softball Gods purposely put the Ole Miss game and the Gopher game back to back on ESPNU today?

Tucker

Reaction score
By the way...I found this interesting. I was wondering if the Softball Gods purposely put the Ole Miss game and the Gopher game back to back on ESPNU today?
I turned on to watch the Gophs and the Miss game was on and the announcer kept saying Trachsel’s name over and over, and I finally had to say shut tf up!!!

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Fiser usually starts against the opponents best pitcher or one of their best. Over and over and over again, Gophers struggle to give her run support.

Top Bottom