Glen Mason for Athletic Director of the University of Minnesota

6 Nov 1999

Reaction score
Fellow Golden Gophers,

1. As Nancy Reagan always used to say, "Just say NO to Yale, Harvard, and Notre Dame graduates!"

2. Glen Mason may be a Buckeye, but he "gets it' when it comes to successful football in the Big Ten Conference. Let Glen finish the job he started before Joel Maturi assassinated him!

3. I cannot think of a more fitting closure and repudiation of the Joel Maturi era than President Kaler hiring Glen Mason to replace Joel Maturi.

4. I am prepared to be showered by your rotten vegetables and rotten eggs. This man has given University of Minnesota football more hope than anybody since Murray Warmath, and I don't mean to minimize the contribution of Cal Stoll. But you have to give credit where credit is due. Glen Mason brought Golden Gopher football back on campus. It was his vision, despite detractors Chris "Darth" Voelz, Tonya Moten Brown, the firing of Mark Deinhart, and finally Joel Maturi (with Kathryn F. Brown winning an Oscar as best supporting actress), assassinating Glen at the Forum "et tu Maturi?"

crack_pipe.jpg

*waiting for the Tony Dungy nomination*

6 November 1999: Glen Mason would be a GREAT Athletic Director!

Let's take on all the garbage throwing mobbers and bashers! I've got your back 6 November, 1999. I LOVE the idea! Let's roll!

Out with badger joel macturi and IN with Glen Mason!

1. As Nancy Reagan always used to say, "Just say NO to Yale, Harvard, and Notre Dame graduates!"
Why do you always say this? I've looked everywhere for it, I can't find anything that says Nancy Reagan ever said that.

Craig Thompson

I know it is extremely long shot. I do wish we can ask Craig Thompson to come back to his Alma mater. I think chance of possibility is very slim. But he is well connected in business of college athletic. It must be a step down for him. Hack! If we’re willing to ask Tony Dungy to come and help us, why not Craig Thompson? As Craig Thompson and President both have strong ties to the U, their allegiance will never be an issue among Gopher fans.

Who's the second choice, Clem Haskins?

Fellow Golden Gophers,

2. Glen Mason may be a Buckeye, but he "gets it' when it comes to successful football in the Big Ten Conference. Let Glen finish the job he started before Joel Maturi assassinated him!

3. I cannot think of a more fitting closure and repudiation of the Joel Maturi era than President Kaler hiring Glen Mason to replace Joel Maturi.

4. I am prepared to be showered by your rotten vegetables and rotten eggs. This man has given University of Minnesota football more hope than anybody since Murray Warmath, and I don't mean to minimize the contribution of Cal Stoll. But you have to give credit where credit is due. Glen Mason brought Golden Gopher football back on campus. It was his vision, despite detractors Chris "Darth" Voelz, Tonya Moten Brown, the firing of Mark Deinhart, and finally Joel Maturi (with Kathryn F. Brown winning an Oscar as best supporting actress), assassinating Glen at the Forum "et tu Maturi?"

Glen Mason was 8th in the cumulative standings of the Big ten throughout his decade in Minnesota with a 32-48 record. Glen Mason led Minnesota and Indiana were the only two programs in the entire conference who failed to win 6 conference games in a season during that span. Nothing about Glen Mason's tenure at Minnesota suggests he "gets it" when it comes to successful football in the Big Ten conference. I cannot think of many ideas worse than allowing Glen Mason to have any influence over Minnesota athletics. Maybe the basketball team could opt out of the ACC/Big Ten challenge and schedule only those programs with RPI's above 250 in the non conference...and then crow about the number of NIT appearances it makes.

already tweeted @BTNGlenMason about this... said we'd give him the pleasure to fire Joel Maturi.

Glen Mason as an AD candidate?

I don’t hate the idea of considering him when Joel is told his services are no longer required. Glen always struck me as more of a CEO-type than as a football coach and I have long thought he was more likely to remain in the media or take an administrative role in an athletic department than he was to return to coaching. He’s got the charisma Joel lacks and I trust he’d appreciate the importance of having successful revenue sports. Plus, he’s obviously decided that he wants to stay in the community and has maintained (or even improved) his connections with the local business community and the media since he was fired. I do have a few questions.

1) What were his relationships with the coaches in the other sports, both revenue and non-revenue, and with coaches of men’s teams and women’s teams? How does he view the relationship among the various sports?

2) What, if any, baggage does he have with the academic administration and faculty? I don’t want any long forgotten problems or conflicts revived because the new AD has a history with the institution.

3) How hard does he want to work? He’s got to be at least 60 and I’d want a commitment from him to work, really work hard, at the job for at least five years. This seems especially important given the widely shared belief among the fan base that he didn’t work as hard as he should have as the football coach. I am not talking about getting up at 4:00am so that he can be there when the rowing team’s bus leaves for an out-of-state event, but I don’t want to see him in mid-March, looking tan and rested, and wonder why I haven’t seen him since New Year’s Eve, either.

4) What is his goal for the football program? Does he believe that the team can be more successful than it was when he was at the helm? If he truly believes that it’s possible, does he want it to happen or is he more invested in his legacy as the coach who did as well as anyone one could do at Minnesota? I’d understand if his ego or his intellect told him that no one could do better than he did, but that would disqualify him as a candidate for the AD in my mind.

At his age it wouldn't work. 10 years ago, absolutely! I would rather hire a young ass't AD at a major program where "football" is the only diet on campus. The type of guy who would come in and sit down with the Prez and say: "Why the "F" do we have a rowing team and yet when the coaches are out recruiting for football they have to fly commercial? That is the mentality we need boys.

QUOTE=2nd Degree Gopher;446954]

3) How hard does he want to work?

Since Mason only worked part-time when he was Gophers coach you can expect more of the same with him as AD.

4) What is his goal for the football program?

Same as when Mason was Gophers coach: below .500 conference winning percentage, no Big 10 Championships, and the occasional 3rd rate bowl game.

Glen Mason was 8th in the cumulative standings of the Big ten throughout his decade in Minnesota with a 32-48 record. Glen Mason led Minnesota and Indiana were the only two programs in the entire conference who failed to win 6 conference games in a season during that span. Nothing about Glen Mason's tenure at Minnesota suggests he "gets it" when it comes to successful football in the Big Ten conference. I cannot think of many ideas worse than allowing Glen Mason to have any influence over Minnesota athletics. Maybe the basketball team could opt out of the ACC/Big Ten challenge and schedule only those programs with RPI's above 250 in the non conference...and then crow about the number of NIT appearances it makes.

EG#9,

1. You can spin facts any way you want.

2. So tell me, "Aside from Glen Mason, who was the last Golden Gopher football coach to defeat both Michigan and Ohio State?" Please answer this question EG#9.

3. Not only did Glen accomplish this, but he also defeated Penn State. Furthermore, it is worth noting that these victories all came ON THE ROAD in front of 100,000+ wildly partisan, hostile, and loud Wolverine, Buckeye, and Nittany Lion fans. This is because all of our games in the HHH Metrobowel Chamber of Horrors owned by Ziggy Wilf, Red "Soviet Union" McCombs, Paul Tagliabue, and their friends was worse than any away game venue. It proved more difficult to win Big Ten games in the HHH Metrobowel Chamber of Horrors than it did on the road.

4. Ziggy Wilf, Paul Tagliabue, (I am guessing Red "Soviet Union" McCombs is out of the picture at this point) and the rest of the NFL owners / operators were determined not to let Glen Mason coach the Golden Gopher football team in the house that Glen built, TCF Bank Stadium. Were Glen to do so, with a real home field advantage, without NFL timekeepers, and without NFL associates stuffing the back pockets of referees in the bowels of the HHH Metrobowel Chamber of Horrors, then a resurgent University of Minnesota football program would start severely cutting into the profits and royalties of the NFL / Vikings cartel. They were not going to let this happen, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Joel Maturi was their trigger man. Joel probably is now a "made man" as reward for his assassination of Glen.

5. Pay close attention now as your Governor breaks bread with Ziggy Wilf and greases the skids to give away $300,000,000 of public money to the NFL / Vikings cartel. As Nancy Reagan used to remark, "Just say NO to Yale, Harvard, and Notre Dame graduates!"

Is the point to win Big Ten championships and national championships, or is it to occasionally defeat helmet schools?

Is the point to win Big Ten championships and national championships, or is it to occasionally defeat helmet schools?
dpodoll68,

1. I would think that defeating helmet schools and possibly winning a Big Ten championship is as far as the University of Minnesota can reasonably expect to go without a massive infusion of Walking Around Money (WAM) and concommitant criminal behavior. This stated with the assumption that the NCAA will not do anything substantive to clean house, bring integrity back to NCAA football (was it ever there to begin with?), and at least neutralize the influence of organized gambling / organized crime.

2. Do you think Boise State got to where they are without WAM? I never heard of them 10 years ago. Didn't even know they existed.

It proved more difficult to win Big Ten games in the HHH Metrobowel Chamber of Horrors than it did on the road.

False. Glen Mason's record in Big Ten games on the road was 12 out of 40, or 30%. Glen Mason's record in Big Ten games at home was 20 out of 40, or 50%. It was clearly easier to win Big Ten games at the dome than on the road.

4. Ziggy Wilf, Paul Tagliabue, (I am guessing Red "Soviet Union" McCombs is out of the picture at this point) and the rest of the NFL owners / operators were determined not to let Glen Mason coach the Golden Gopher football team in the house that Glen built, TCF Bank Stadium. Were Glen to do so, with a real home field advantage, without NFL timekeepers, and without NFL associates stuffing the back pockets of referees in the bowels of the HHH Metrobowel Chamber of Horrors, then a resurgent University of Minnesota football program would start severely cutting into the profits and royalties of the NFL / Vikings cartel. They were not going to let this happen, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. Joel Maturi was their trigger man. Joel probably is now a "made man" as reward for his assassination of Glen.

Did they by any chance plan all this while riding black helicopters? If the NFL was so afraid of Glen Mason coaching in TCF, and been so willing scheme to keep it out, it would have been far easier to derail the stadium construction in the first place. There's just so many thing wrong with this wild conspiracy theory that I may have to write a novel length book to document them all.

"Cheat or don't try" is not a sustainable endeavor for a collegiate athletic program.

And if you had never heard of Boise St. prior to 2001, you either weren't a very big college football fan or weren't paying attention. They were a very successful DII team in the early 1970s, moved up to DI-AA in 1978 (where they won a national title in 1980) and were again very successful, at which point they moved up to DI-A in 1996. There is no nefarious plot behind their success. They have been a winning football program for almost 40 years at every level except DIII. They have been fortunate to hire a string of successful coaches. It also helps that their admission standards for athletes are very low and they can field a lot of athletes that the bigger schools can't.

The fact that you think Minnesota can't compete without cheating is pathetic, misguided, and frankly, insulting.

False. Glen Mason's record in Big Ten games on the road was 12 out of 40, or 30%. Glen Mason's record in Big Ten games at home was 20 out of 40, or 50%. It was clearly easier to win Big Ten games at the dome than on the road.

Did they by any chance plan all this while riding black helicopters? If the NFL was so afraid of Glen Mason coaching in TCF, and been so willing scheme to keep it out, it would have been far easier to derail the stadium construction in the first place. There's just so many thing wrong with this wild conspiracy theory that I may have to write a novel length book to document them all.

RodentRampage,

1. I encourage you to write your novel length book. Ziggy Wilf will help underwrite it for you and probably will provide you a dedicated research staff to help with it.

2. In your world is it axiomatic that anybody who would dare suggest that the NFL is an organized crime entity is certifiably insane and should promptly be locked up and force fed cocktails of psychotropic drugs?

3. Did it ever occur to you that if the NFL / Vikings cartel derailed TCF Bank Stadium, they would have had an even more difficult time fleecing the Minnesota Legislature and Governor of $300,000,000+ in public money to build their own new stadium? Just say NO to public funding assistance building a stadium for the state's only land grant university, but YES to building a stadium for NFL billionaires! Just how successful would this marketing approach be with the citizens of Blue Earth or Biwabik?

Glen Mason should wake up every morning, drop to his knees, and thank God for Joel Maturi and thank God he was fired after the TT game.
This program was headed downward and Maturi has made it worse.
Because of the timing, Glen still has supporters dumb enough to start threads like this.

dpodoll68;446988 The fact that you think Minnesota can't compete without cheating is pathetic said:
dpodoll68,

1. First of all, this is your manufactured quote, not mine.

2. We can compete without cheating and play > .500 Big Ten football, at least I hope so. However, can we win a national championship without cheating? I think this scenario is highly unlikely given the state of affairs in the NCAA today. The last 50 years of history makes this pretty crystal clear.

3. Are you saying Boise State did not use Walking Around Money (WAM)?

4. Why has Boise State been fortunate to hire a string of successful football coaches since the early 1970s, but Minnesota's record since 1967 suggests we have not been so blessed?

2. In your world is it axiomatic that anybody who would dare suggest that the NFL is an organized crime entity is certifiably insane and should promptly be locked up and force fed cocktails of psychotropic drugs?

Provide evidence for your conspiracy. Even if we stipulate that the NFL is an organized crime entity, it still doesn't support your conspiracy. The mafia is indeed an organized crime entity, but that doesn't mean they are doing everything someone might say they are.

And I haven't said or implied that anyone should be locked up and drugged. That's one of the things about conspiracy theories, evidence against the conspiracy is seen as evidence for it, that rather than being wrong (the conspiracy can NEVER be wrong!) that the conspiracy is even larger and more intricate than previously supposed.

If the NFL derailed TCF Bank Stadium, it would have made it easier, not more difficult to get funding for an NFL stadium. If the state hadn't spent all that money on the Twins and Gophers stadia, building a Vikings stadium would have been much easier to swallow. If the NFL is such a supremely powerful and clever conspiracy, how did the Twins and Gophers get their stadia first? How did the Vikings wind up with as weak a stadium as the Metrodome anyway? Was the NFL such a weak organization back when the Metrodome was proposed? You seriously think that people in Blue Earth would up up in arms if a Vikings stadium was built before a Gophers stadium? How can the NFL be so weak that they must wait in line behind the U, yet so powerful that they can control everything?

Or perhaps the Metrodome was a fiendishly clever conspiracy to crush the Gophers. Build a poor stadium, force the Gophers into it, in order to crush the life out of the Gophers so that 30+ years later, the Vikings can get a palace. But along comes the reincarnation of Knute Rockne (oops! He's a Notre Dame guy!) Glen Mason to foil the NFL's plans. And then, the NFL uses its powers to get all the other BCS teams in the country not to sign him on as head coach.

RodentRampage,

1. Are you of the belief that organized crime is limited to what was once labled as the Mafia in the 1960s and 1970s?

2. If Lloyd Blankfein and Goldman Sachs are not organized crime, than pray tell, what is your definition of organized crime?

3. When Massey Energy and British Petroleum repeatedly, willfully, and egregiously violate safety regulations promulgated by the toothless U. S. Department of Labor Mine Safety and Health Administration (MHSA) and the U. S. Department of the Interior Minerals Management Section (MMS), the Upper Big Branch mine explodes, and the New Horizon oil rig explodes, is this not organized crime at work? If it is not, then please educate me. Thank you.

Top Bottom