Geriatrics at the game

I'm 56, out of shape, wonky back and knees and was thrilled to stand for the entire PSU and Wisky games (and most of the Maryland game). I sit (stand) in the top row so no one behind me is telling me to sit down.

Sir, I have seen that buck. And, I can definitely say you are not that buck.

As a relatively new member on this site, can some of the vets tell me what the record is for number of concurrent threads talking about standing at games? I think we’re up to 4 now.

Must be a Gerri. :D
No, not at all. You see, a couple of years ago I bought a chair from the Sharper Image. I think it was marketed as the Space Age Recliner. Anyway, it has all the bells and whistles and is fully automated. Made in Germany and very sophisticated! Built into the left armrest is a small refrigerated compartment that can accommodate 4 tall boys. On the right armrest there is a keyboard that controls all functions. In Audio mode I’m able to Bluetooth sound into the stereo speakers in the wingbacks - feels just like being in the stadium. In Comfort mode, the green button will give me a lumbar or shoulder massage; the blue button offers targeted vibration zones; the orange button will adjust inclination, and the red button will scratch my balls. I understand the newer model even has a catheter attachment.
The chair is a beautiful thing.

As a relatively new member on this site, can some of the vets tell me what the record is for number of concurrent threads talking about standing at games? I think we’re up to 4 now.
Get used to it...

No, not at all. You see, a couple of years ago I bought a chair from the Sharper Image. I think it was marketed as the Space Age Recliner. Anyway, it has all the bells and whistles and is fully automated. Made in Germany and very sophisticated! Built into the left armrest is a small refrigerated compartment that can accommodate 4 tall boys. On the right armrest there is a keyboard that controls all functions. In Audio mode I’m able to Bluetooth sound into the stereo speakers in the wingbacks - feels just like being in the stadium. In Comfort mode, the green button will give me a lumbar or shoulder massage; the blue button offers targeted vibration zones; the orange button will adjust inclination, and the red button will scratch my balls. I understand the newer model even has a catheter attachment.
Nirvana...

With recent success I'm hoping the gophers can continue to attract new and younger fans. In years past I've found myself in a quiet stadium with people sitting politely and watching the game. While I'm grateful they've spent money on gophers, if your aim is to sit quietly in a church like manner and don't want people around to get disrupt you because you need your own space and want people to watch the game the way you do, sitting and quiet, maybe you're best served watching from home. I personally feel when opponents are facing third down, you should stand, cheer make noise...Try to disrupt the offense and I think home team feeds off energy. Remember, cheer leading and 12th man STARTED with Minnesota.

It was a blast yelling, cheering, and being on your feet for games vs PSU and Wi. Crowd was electric (Granted, life got sucked out of stadium vs Wi as we started lose and badger fans took over). I hope we can have more of these enivornments to give us a true home field advantage. And while drinking is part of football game culture, hopefully we can find a balance between energetic without being offensive

Who says the younger generation is narcissistic and out of touch with reality?

This a**hole is in here bragging about paying his way through a school that cost $213 per year.

Adjusted for inflation that's about $2k in tuition today. You can make that working 10 hours a week at f***ing Jimmy Johns and he's in here pretending he's some f***ing hero.

F*** you buddy.

I cannot believe how f***ing spoiled his generation was. Now kids are 'standing too much.'

Okay, boomer.

Last edited:

That chair reminds me of this scene from Wall-E:

Good combo! Not Jerry-sota, Geri-sota!

This a**hole is in here bragging about paying his way through a school that cost $213 per year.

Adjusted for inflation that's about $2k in tuition today. You can make that working 10 hours a week at f***ing Jimmy Johns and he's in here pretending he's some f***ing hero.

F*** you buddy.

I cannot believe how f***ing spoiled his generation was. Now kids are 'standing too much.'

Okay, boomer.

It's this sort of charm and way with words that has people hailing the Millenial as the new Greatest Generation.

Am I the only one that really does stand even while at home during an intense moment of the game?

If it's final play i'll find myself standing, or at the very least sitting on the ottoman closer to screen. There is usually some pacing involved

If it's final play i'll find myself standing, or at the very least sitting on the ottoman closer to screen. There is usually some pacing involved
I usually get my dog excited because she thinks I'm getting up to do something exciting but then she gets pissed when I just stand there or walk back and forth.

F*** you buddy.

Okay, boomer.

Yes, and I was paid 65 cents per hour washing pots and pans. 20 hours per week got me $13 minus taxes and Social Security fees. Those were the days! Is there a chance that you might not be as super intelligent as you think you are?? :unsure:

Yes, and I was paid 65 cents per hour washing pots and pans. 20 hours per week got me $13 minus taxes and Social Security fees. Those were the days! Is there a chance that you might not be as super intelligent as you think you are?? :unsure:

I've found that the secret is not questioning you are exceptional. We are all entitled to our own reality these days.

Must be a Gerri. :D

The tension of the moment will make me stand for big moments, and my yelling scares the dog. She refuses to come in the house during a game. Fortunately I don’t have an octogenarian (in age or spirit) asking me to sit down as has occurred at TCF. I’ve been at games where I wondered if some of the fans were still alive.

Actually, it is, at least to me, a tad sad. There he sits, his wife still brings him to the games even though he is not half what he was five years ago because that is what they have done together for more than fifty years. ?

Last edited:

Since you clearly suck at math, and don't understand how inflation works, let me lay this out for you:
(Your tuition) / (Your Wage) = 328
You had to work approximately 9 weeks per year (assuming a 40 hour work week) to pay your full tuition.

(Today's tuition) / (Today's Minimum Wage) = 1414.2
Students today would have to work 35 weeks full time to pay their full tuition.

Including rent (about $1000 a month in Minneapolis right now); they would have to work well over 40 hours, year round, while carrying a full credit load.

You had to wash dishes for a summer.

Your generation was so ****ing spoiled.
I can't wait to watch y'all figure out that your social security and medicare has already been spent subsidizing your ****ing mortgages.

Last edited:

Sounds like fans have two choices: 1) stand and peer over standers in front of them, 2) Sit and see nothing except the backsides of people in front. Not good.

Am I the only one that really does stand even while at home during an intense moment of the game?

Not even just stand. Shit, if it's a REALLY big moment - often i'm dropping and doing 20 pushups to try to involve myself in some universal martyrish tradeoff - hoping desperately that the energy of my intention will somehow manifest in positive momentum for the Gophers on the field.

Since you clearly suck at math, and don't understand how inflation works, let me lay this out for you:
(Your tuition) / (Your Wage) = 328
You had to work approximately 9 weeks per year (assuming a 40 hour work week) to pay your full tuition.

(Today's tuition) / (Today's Minimum Wage) = 1414.2
Students today would have to work 35 weeks full time to pay their full tuition.

Including rent (about $1000 a month in Minneapolis right now); they would have to work well over 40 hours, year round, while carrying a full credit load.

You had to wash dishes for a summer.

Your generation was so ****ing spoiled.
I can't wait to watch y'all figure out that your social security and medicare has already been spent subsidizing your ****ing mortgages.
I paid about $3000 per year to go to university from 1964 through 1969. I did work 40 per week all summer and every Christmas and Spring break. I also worked 20 hours per week throughout the school terms starting at 65 cents per hour washing pots and pans. By my third year I was paid over something like $1.40 as a shift supervisor. Throughout my nearly six years at university my parents never paid one cent towards any bill I had, nor did I expect them to do so. That was just the way it was.

As one of my three degrees was in Economics I can assure you I understand inflation just fine. I don't get US Social Security and, off course, have no mortgages. I have already clearly stated that my generation has committed the unforgivable sin of leaving your generation and all future generations burried in state and especially federal debt that you guys will eternally have to spend your lives paying interest on those debts. However, I have always voted against such policies and therefore can not be held accountable for that great sin. My advice to you would be to come to the realisation that you have no one you can depend on better than yourself to deal with your problems. Big government is the problem, not the solution. You being a victim is self defeating. Pick up the ball and advance as best you can as many Americans have always done.

Very few young people (and most older people) don’t seem to really consider why college costs have skyrocketed. A major part of the issue is the care and maintenance of a vast army of non-teaching staff - legal, counseling, security, etc etc etc. And, why are these services necessary - further follow the trail to the myriad of legislative requirements and ever present threat of lawsuits for aggrieved party XYZ.

Similar head in the sand behavior exists in healthcare, where the attitude seems to be just pay for it, rather than ask why costs are so high. I’d recommend look into who owns your local hospital, clinic, doctor office...you may find private equity firms and other for profit entities are calling the shots, raising fees, suing patients for absurd ED/out of network fees, and other rapacious behavior.. Pharmacy benefit managers like CVS Caremark, Express Scripts, and a few others are fleecing you as the industry consolidates.

At the root, non-clinicians should have never been allowed to own or have majority board presence in hospitals, clinics, doctor practices. Legislative rot and capture is rampant. Follow the money.

With university, school, housing...other issues start asking questions, follow the money and a whole new world opens up. Some win, many lose in these arenas.

Last edited:

Very few young people (and most older people) don’t seem to really consider why college costs have skyrocketed. A major part of the issue is the care and maintenance of a vast army of non-teaching staff - legal, counseling, security, etc etc etc. And, why are these services necessary - further follow the trail to the myriad of legislative requirements and ever present threat of lawsuits for aggrieved party XYZ.

Pretty sure the availability of subsidized student loans started a chain of back and forth;

Loan people money to go to college
Colleges raise their prices because more people can afford it with loans
State governments underfund public colleges because people can afford to pay more through loans

Loan people even more money to go to college
Colleges raise prices more
States fund less

Loan more
Raise more.
fund less

That's the primary reason college tuition is where it's at. I'm 50 years old, tuition doubled at the U from when I started in 1987 and when I finished in 1992 and has doubled 4 more times since. That's outpacing added expenses and cost of inflation by an order of magnitude.

Young people have a right to be angry that over the last 30 years we let education cost get totally out of control, they also have the right to choose institutions that provide nearly exactly the same education at 25% of the cost

Similar head in the sand behavior exists in healthcare, where the attitude seems to be just pay for it, rather than ask why costs are so high. I’d recommend look into who owns your local hospital, clinic, doctor office...you may find private equity firms and other for profit entities are calling the shots, raising fees, suing patients for absurd ED/out of network fees, and other rapacious behavior.. Pharmacy benefit managers like CVS Caremark, Express Scripts, and a few others are fleecing you as the industry consolidates.

At the root, non-clinicians should have never been allowed to own or have majority board presence in hospitals, clinics, doctor practices. Legislative rot and capture is rampant. Follow the money.

With university, school, housing...other issues start asking questions, follow the money and a whole new world opens up. Some win, many lose in these arenas.

PBMs are actually such a joke and their existence is absurd, kinda love that you said that

Pretty sure the availability of subsidized student loans started a chain of back and forth;

State governments underfund public colleges because people can afford to pay more through loans

States fund less

Loan more
Raise more.
fund less

That's the primary reason college tuition is where it's at. I'm 50 years old, tuition doubled at the U from when I started in 1987 and when I finished in 1992 and has doubled 4 more times since. That's outpacing added expenses and cost of inflation by an order of magnitude.

Young people have a right to be angry that over the last 30 years we let education cost get totally out of control, they also have the right to choose institutions that provide nearly exactly the same education at 25% of the cost

The costs are the costs, however which is a very complicated subject. I agree when prices are more transparent and less subsidization occurs that indirectly forces businesses to lower costs via market mechanisms.

Many (most) just want someone else to pay for their tuition, house, etc etc. The focus is shifting costs (eg to the government) moreso than reducing parasite middlemen and streamlining costs.

Complicated problems. Let’s get back to yelling about standing at games.

States fund less

Loan more
Raise more.
fund less

I would add that going to university has massively expanded over the past 75 years, in large part because of the loans. We now have students in our unversities that just do not belong there. Many are very average or lower IQ people with poor ACT and SAT scores. This extra and silly demand futher pushes up costs and buries these "students" in debt, adds to the national debt as many of these students do not repay their loans and does not increase the numbers of skilled people the economy demands, flooding us with social workers, nutrition experts, etc., etc., etc. Hopefully the next generation of young students will learn to pursue trade skills that are in big demand and skip on impossible dreams that will never pay them a living wage.

Top Bottom